Starbucks Now Anti-gun - Page 10
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Starbucks Now Anti-gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2014, 12:25 PM   #91
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 80 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 366

One more place to add to my list of places I will not go into... So.. that's my wife and I and my 2 sons that wont get our business ....

Sig P220 Equinox, Sig P238
CZ P01 SDP, CZ 75-PCR
Glock 19
S&W M&P 45ACP, S&W M&P Shield 9MM
Kimber Ultra Carry II
Kimber Sapphire Ultra Carry II
Kimber Stainless Pro Raptor II
Kel Tec PF9, Kel Tec P32
Ruger SR9, Ruger SR9C
Remington 887 Nitro Mag Tactical (12g)
Walther PPS
Ruger SR556E
Springfield XDs 9MM/45 ACP
SKS Chinese Norinco
Mosin Nagant 91/30 (2)
NRA Member

Old 01-21-2014, 12:53 PM   #92
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3824 Times on 2611 Posts
Likes Given: 1907

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
I have a couple of questions since I read most of the posts on this thread. If I show a wood stocked gun to people most think it's ok. If I put a black stock and a picatiny rail on it suddenly the uninformed become frightened. So why do most of you think that if I wear my oc pistol in a "normal" hip holster it's ok with you, but if I put it in a drop leg holster suddenly it's excusable to be frightened? It's just a damn holster. A lot of you are acting the same way the frightened sheep act over black rifles. It's just appearance, how you carry it doesn't change a damn thing. Why is it ok for you to make fun of the sheeple for being afraid of black rifles but suddenly you are on their side over a scary holster? I personally don't use a drop leg holster, I just don't understand why it's ok to own one "scary" thing and not another.
You are right, it is not OK. Be honest with yourself. If you are serious about SD, blend in with the woodwork. If you want to draw attention, you get attention.
People Like This 
Old 01-21-2014, 01:51 PM   #93

Liked 575 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 722

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
I have a couple of questions since I read most of the posts on this thread. If I show a wood stocked gun to people most think it's ok. If I put a black stock and a picatiny rail on it suddenly the uninformed become frightened. So why do most of you think that if I wear my oc pistol in a "normal" hip holster it's ok with you, but if I put it in a drop leg holster suddenly it's excusable to be frightened? It's just a damn holster. A lot of you are acting the same way the frightened sheep act over black rifles. It's just appearance, how you carry it doesn't change a damn thing. Why is it ok for you to make fun of the sheeple for being afraid of black rifles but suddenly you are on their side over a scary holster? I personally don't use a drop leg holster, I just don't understand why it's ok to own one "scary" thing and not another.
I don't know if I can answer your questions but this is my take on the topic.

We associate what we see with what we know from life experiences and what our news/media presents to us. For me seeing a wood stock on a rifle is usually a "thing of beauty". Quality wood grain and nicely finished with a clear luster is awesome.

My association with black stocks is the M16 from my Vietnam days - 1968-69. It wasn't until after I joined this forum (July 2013) did I learn it is a very popular sporting rifle. I was quite naive.

But to me, it wasn't a sporting rifle in Vietnam but used for defending and killing. I don't own one and likely never will. Not that they are bad, it just isn't for me. But to directly reply to your question
Quote:
Why is it ok for you to make fun of the sheeple for being afraid of black rifles but suddenly you are on their side over a scary holster?
- those afraid of Black Rifles are damaging our God given rights. THEY (mainly libs and demos) are classifying the "black rifles" as assault weapons and trying to restrict them from our ownership. And they are dragging extended magazines for ANY weapon into the equation. "Scope Creep" is what we used to refer to matters that grow as they are being designed and developed. Projects that start out simple and never seem to end due to "Scope Creep". All the Bills passed seem to have damaging baggage along with them.

Just from my own experiences when I see anyone carrying a pistol the manner it is carried exemplifies an attitude. I associate a high-on-the-hip/belt as professional as law enforcement or other security personnel. A drop-holster down on one's leg as someone from a SWAT team or other specialty form. A holster that hangs from a belt looks more Western/Cowboy style. Just examples from my limited experiences.

I am judgmental like most but I try to keep an open mind with ideas and new people I meet everyday. I am as different to them as they may be to me.

I have done some stupid things in my life - just ask any family member. But I don't like to see anyone do stupid things - Guns has nothing to do with it.

Just MHO.

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!
People Like This 
Old 01-21-2014, 02:26 PM   #94
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1279 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Just in the interest of practicality, carrying a handgun while shopping or eating at Starbucks is perfectly ok, and even desirable, if done in a way that projects an air of "innocence" or reasonability. But carrying an AR into Starbucks smacks of just doing that for the sake of grossing out the other customers. There's no practical reason not to leave the rifle in the car or truck. And to carry the handgun in a phony "SWAT" holster also displays immaturity, and an attempt to impress any na´ve people who might be in there. People don't, as a rule, "admire" SWAT cops, but rather, tend to resent them. So it just makes somebody look bad if they are obviously pretending to be a SWAT cop.

Last edited by AIKIJUTSU; 01-21-2014 at 02:31 PM.
People Like This 
Old 01-21-2014, 03:28 PM   #95
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

To go to Starbucks, or any other business, just for the sake of struttin' around showing off a gun, is sort of like Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder in the movie "Stir Crazy", where when they get thrown into a jail cell, they do their routine, "We bad, We bad" as they strut around the cell. Nobody is impressed, and they invite the bullies to challenge them.
alsaqr Likes This 
Old 01-21-2014, 04:29 PM   #96

^^^^^ oops..think Im mixing up their movies.

They both went to jail in "See no Evil, Hear no evil" and said the same thing ... "we're bad. we're bad"...
...but they did that for a reason - self defense. They wanted the others to "think" they were bad so they wouldn't get their azzes kicked.

~ Holsters ~

We the People...

Last edited by wittmeba; 01-21-2014 at 04:37 PM.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:21 PM   #97
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2164 Times on 1326 Posts
Likes Given: 12124

Two great movies, starring a pair of comedic geniuses. I still LOL thinking of that scene!

As to the Starbucks thing, I live in NY (for now, fingers crossed on a 60 acre property in Ohio as of this post), and NY does not allow OC. In a public place like a Starbucks my view on whether to carry is this.

Concealed means concealed.

The only places I oc are at the range, while afield, or while driving to and from trips afield. During hunting season most of the shops and eateries in my area do not care if on OCs. In most cases, the woods their patrons hunt are on the other side of their parking lots, and most of their business during the season is hunters going into or out of the woods. The rest of the year, we all keep our weapons covered, because it's the law of the land. Around here, printing can bring a charge of brandishment, or at least DTP. Just not worth the hassle.

And no, I do not live or hunt near a Starbucks location. The only coffee places within a mile of me are a Cstore, a Dunkin Doughnuts, and a Tim Horton's. All 3 of them serve a fresher, far better coffee, and at a much cheaper price than Starbucks ever will.

If their policy is now "Don't put me in the middle of it" I will honor their wishes, and continue to spend my money in establishments that welcome both me and my right to carry. Starbucks has been the rope in a tug of war over the right to SD for the last few years. I have chosen to give them a break. They have asked to be taken out of the gun control fight. I say let it be.

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.

Old 01-23-2014, 01:53 PM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephMD
Too many people that wouldn't otherwise open carry strap on their pistol or toss an AR-15 over their shoulder and make a special trip to Starbucks, then make a big deal about it. I saw some dumbasses in Virginia with drop leg holsters, tactical vests, and the whole getup at a Starbucks a few weeks ago, oh, and a camera, making sure that everybody in and around that store knew that they had their guns on them. My thought was, it is people like that that give people the wrong idea about open carry. I was embarrassed for them, and me, I was carrying my OC firearm, it is large, but holstered on the belt, it isn't screaming "hey, look at me" but I felt like people would automatically associate me with those other guys.

JMD
JosephMD,
If you have read any of my posts you know I feel much the same way as yourself.

But in their defense - they haven't done anything wrong. If they are not removing a pistol from the holster and not waving the rifle around in the air I don't think they have violated the law providing they have not exempted themselves from owning a firearm. Just taking pictures is not a violation but certainly indicates they are looking for some attention.

I hope the Starbucks customers didn't associate you with the other gun-slingers just for carrying.

~ Holsters ~

We the People...

Old 01-23-2014, 02:20 PM   #99
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

There are some things that are morally wrong, even if not illegal. In this case, to scare people away from a legitimate business by strapping on a gun and strutting around like a mental case is indeed morally wrong.
The act of OC'ing is not wrong, but to intimidate other people by acting like "the fastest gun in the West" is wrong.
People Like This 
Old 01-23-2014, 05:38 PM   #100
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2454 Times on 1347 Posts
Likes Given: 3903

i can't blame Starbucks for banning open carry in their shops. Starbucks is in business to make a profit. When far out rednecks with AR and AK rifles and handguns in SWAT holsters come in to show their ignorance and their a$$e$ it hurts Starbucks bottom line.

People who open carry rifles in Starbucks don't deserve our support because they are hurting the cause of gun rights.

Last edited by alsaqr; 01-23-2014 at 08:29 PM.