Stand Your Ground Defense Fails Again - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Stand Your Ground Defense Fails Again

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2013, 01:54 AM   #11
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7802 Times on 4229 Posts
Likes Given: 16511

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis
Ooo..., McCool, you're gonna take that from him?
That's it! Gloves off!
Wait.... he said I was right?

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 05-21-2013, 10:41 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
SYG is great on paper but you're going ot have trouble with the expert testimony dependent on the judge and opinions of a jury. sure, it's not supposed to be that way but it is what it is. The laws are pretty close here too but they still pretty much have to be in your house. We did have a gas station clerk that was acquitted after he chased the robber out of the store and shot him though. Ky is still pretty gun friendly but the times they are a changin' in the bigger cities.

Sounds in this case though the guy took a deal. That probably was his mistake.
The guy did take the deal, but the overall impression was that he was screwed if he didn't. We had recent experience with Marissa Alexander of minimum mandatory sentencing fame. She ended up with 20 years for firing a gun during the commission of a felony. Nobody died in her case. In fact, nobody was even shot. That idiot turned down a three year deal and ended up with 20 with no parole. This kid was facing felony manslaughter, and if they worked it right he could have gone down for the same mandatory amount of time, plus the manslaughter charge, plus anything they wanted to tack on about the gun.

Florida Stand You Ground might be a little bit different than yours. The house part is true, but SYG also applies to anywhere you have a legal right to be as long as you are not committing a crime at that time. You have the right to defend yourself anywhere, any time, as long as you have the right to be there. The only difference in our SYG and our old self defense law was that SYG removed the duty to retreat if at all possible. Under the old law the duty to retreat included retreating from your house if you were under attack.

In my opinion, this kid had a right to be where he was. The kid and his friend were attacked from behind. The kid defended himself. In my opinion the only charge he should have faced was the possession by a minor charge, which probably would have been argued down to a misdemeanor.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:05 AM   #13

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
The guy did take the deal, but the overall impression was that he was screwed if he didn't. We had recent experience with Marissa Alexander of minimum mandatory sentencing fame. She ended up with 20 years for firing a gun during the commission of a felony. Nobody died in her case. In fact, nobody was even shot. That idiot turned down a three year deal and ended up with 20 with no parole. This kid was facing felony manslaughter, and if they worked it right he could have gone down for the same mandatory amount of time, plus the manslaughter charge, plus anything they wanted to tack on about the gun.

Florida Stand You Ground might be a little bit different than yours. The house part is true, but SYG also applies to anywhere you have a legal right to be as long as you are not committing a crime at that time. You have the right to defend yourself anywhere, any time, as long as you have the right to be there. The only difference in our SYG and our old self defense law was that SYG removed the duty to retreat if at all possible. Under the old law the duty to retreat included retreating from your house if you were under attack.

In my opinion, this kid had a right to be where he was. The kid and his friend were attacked from behind. The kid defended himself. In my opinion the only charge he should have faced was the possession by a minor charge, which
probably would have been argued down to a misdemeanor.
Screwed or not he took a dive in he fight. If he knew he was justified then there was on reason to take a dive... I sure wouldn't.

Our SYG thing kind of runs along with the Castle Doctrine laws. It just pushed the castle to the property line when at home and within a distance when away form home to show a danger enough to warrant lethal force. If the guy was here he would walk unless they charged him with the improper possession of the weapon...If you follow the law. Thing is there are a growing group of DA mainly in more metropolitan areas that are trying to push against such laws. Kentucky is an enigma. We're seen as a major GOP/conservative stronghold but we have only elected a couple conservative governors in the last 100 years. This happens because the Huge rift between the metro and rural populations. The cities forget they are in Kentucky and think they are civilized. The rural areas say leave me the hell alone and I"ll call you if I need something. Put it this way. If this kid would have dropped some gang affiliated attacker(s) in my little town it would never make it to court. Put the case in Louisville and it probably would have a different outcome. Same laws...Same state...Different worlds.

I cna see the charge of a minor with a forearm...The rest though...It's a bit much.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 05-21-2013, 11:33 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

He did take a dive, but I'll bet his lawyer was chanting Marissa, Marissa in his ear when he did it. Her case was no more an SYG case than OJ Part 1, but it scared a lot of defense lawyers in this town. Another thing he probably had in mind was Angela Corey. She's the mastermind(?) behind the Zimmerman charges and is also the state attorney for Jacksonville. She absolutely hates SYG.

In a way I feel sorry for the kid, and that's not something I say frequently in this kind of case. I feel this way because the judge is letting the age of the kid override his common sense on the SYG decision.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:46 AM   #15
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1426 Times on 721 Posts
Likes Given: 1040

Based just on what I've read here, the judge should have cut the kid some slack. Maybe the kid's color hurt him with this judge. When it comes to crime I'm like Genghiz Khan but this was a teenage street fight, not a robbery, not a drug deal. Like Doc says Florida's SYG does not require you to retreat and it is applicable almost anywhere, not just in your home.

Now the kid will go to prison for ten years and learn to be a real hardass criminal. There's a part of being a judge that requires judgement.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:58 AM   #16
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6944 Times on 3491 Posts
Likes Given: 7550

SYG is only good if you live and or protect others from dying. Ive decided that the only situation I would do that was on my own property and if someone I cared about was in danger. The same laws that convict the criminal undoubtedly will be used against us in a court of law unless were carrying a badge.

Things that go bump in the night deserve special notice and if they enter my home without permission, they will leave horizontal and carried by at least two people they dont know. I will stay out of the cities that have become caldrons of death; thanks to UPS, I really dont need to go anywhere that gangs and thugs have more rights than JQ Public...

Old 05-21-2013, 12:20 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Now the kid will go to prison for ten years and learn to be a real hardass criminal. There's a part of being a judge that requires judgement.
There is also a part of the criminal justice system that requires justice. By the judge's own admission the decision to deny SYG was razor thin. In his defense, the appellate court upheld him, but 'razor thin' to me implies reasonable doubt. Cut the kid some slack and give him time served. He was a victim in the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong person.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:30 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1294 Times on 629 Posts
Likes Given: 77

I don't have a problem with the outcome. I do have a problem with the kid of 16 carrying a gun, and the wait until the end to bring the carrying of that gun out. It should have been an issue from day one. I also because of the gun, do not have a problem with the sentence.

If he did not use the gun for self defense that night, what would it have been used for the next night? Or was he sending it to Chicago?

A bad day at the range is better then a good day on the job!

Old 05-22-2013, 12:55 AM   #19

Liked 1396 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1932

We don't have SYG laws here in Canada. In fact, the authorities here will foam at the mouth at the mere thought of a handgun in civilian hands. So, maybe I don't have a very good understanding of all this but I don't understand something.

If the threat was over - as witness evidence says - then what's SYG got to do with it? Or being underage, for that matter? It can't be OK to shoot someone AFTER the fight's over, is it? (or brain him with BB bat, for that matter....)

C.S.S.A.; N.F.A.; N.R.A. Life Member
Make the world a better place; have your liberal spayed or neutered.

Last edited by Rocky7; 05-22-2013 at 12:57 AM.
MisterMcCool Likes This