Stand Your Ground Defense Fails Again

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Stand Your Ground Defense Fails Again

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 09:44 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Default Stand Your Ground Defense Fails Again

Personally, I think this case reeks. I can't tell you why yet without ruining the story.

Quote:
A Jacksonville man who almost went free on a Stand Your Ground law claim will spent 10 years in prison for a fatal street fight shooting when he was 16.

On Monday, Circuit Judge Adrian G. Soud sentenced Quintavis Sermond Seay, now 20, for the manslaughter of 20-year-old Jeremy Ervin Godboldt in 2009. Under a plea agreement between Seay’s lawyers and prosecutors, Soud had the discretion of sentencing Seay to anywhere from five to 15 years.
Link To Story

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-20-2013, 11:09 PM   #2
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7440 Times on 4061 Posts
Likes Given: 15311

Witnesses said the fight had ended before the boy produced the weapon and shot at the gang. The threat had ended and he was no longer in danger of peril.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Old 05-20-2013, 11:28 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
Witnesses said the fight had ended before the boy produced the weapon and shot at the gang. The threat had ended and he was no longer in danger of peril.
Close, but you're not quite there. Admittedly, I do have an unfair advantage because I live in the same city. Let's just say the injuries were not consistent with a retreating individual. I believed the science at the time, and I still do. Witnesses can be very unreliable. Unfortunately for the kid the judge is ignorant of the science involved, or he may have doubted the witness testimony, too.

No, what gets me is that Swing'em Soud said he was "razor close" to granting the S-Y-G defense, but later he splits the difference on sentencing because of the kids age at the time of the crime. This kid has already served 3 years for something he did as a juvenile. Add in that what he did was a reaction to a fight that was brought to him, and in reality, had nothing to do with him. Why not give him the minimum 5 years with time served if it was that close a call on S-Y-G?

In case you're wondering, our judges are elected, and "They're Tough On Crime"

Old 05-20-2013, 11:42 PM   #4

Liked 1098 Times on 658 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Did anything happen to the kids that beat the other guy unconcious?

Old 05-20-2013, 11:46 PM   #5

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

SYG is great on paper but you're going ot have trouble with the expert testimony dependent on the judge and opinions of a jury. sure, it's not supposed to be that way but it is what it is. The laws are pretty close here too but they still pretty much have to be in your house. We did have a gas station clerk that was acquitted after he chased the robber out of the store and shot him though. Ky is still pretty gun friendly but the times they are a changin' in the bigger cities.

Sounds in this case though the guy took a deal. That probably was his mistake.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 05-20-2013, 11:46 PM   #6
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1334 Times on 698 Posts
Likes Given: 612

The fact that he had no right to be carrying the weapon that he used would make me nullify the SYG defense, if I were on the jury. Had he killed him with something legal to a 16-year-old (brick, knife, broom, etc), then I would allow it. The defense is kind of "fruit of the poisonous tree," I.e. You can't be justified in defending yourself under SYG when the weapon used is illegal. Also, his attackers didn't allow him to retreat when they attacked him from behind. Anyone else have a thought on this?

It brings up an interesting point for those of us who are legally allowed to possess a firearm: WHEN is the threat serious enough to produce your weapon, fired of not? This guy was jumped from behind by three attackers, so therefore could've drawn and fired immediately (most states have laws regarding "overwhelming numbers" of attackers, allowing armed defense even if the attackers are not armed. The number does vary by state.).

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Last edited by TekGreg; 05-20-2013 at 11:48 PM.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:46 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathead00 View Post
Did anything happen to the kids that beat the other guy unconcious?
You know, that didn't get a lot of airtime. I'll try to get an answer for you.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:52 PM   #8
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7440 Times on 4061 Posts
Likes Given: 15311

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg
You can't be justified in defending yourself under SYG when the weapon used is illegal. Anyone else have a thought on this?
He was not charged with possession of an illegal weapon. He was charged with murder. If possession was the issue, then that is what should have been addressed.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

Rocky7 Likes This 
Old 05-20-2013, 11:59 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
He was not charged with possession of an illegal weapon. He was charged with murder. If possession was the issue, then that is what should have been addressed.
Technically, the charge he was sentenced on was manslaughter, a much lesser crime here in Florida. Anyway, you're right on the gun charge unless it was buried as part of the deal.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:51 AM   #10

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Ooo..., McCool, you're gonna take that from him?