Stand Your Ground and Castle Doctrine - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Stand Your Ground and Castle Doctrine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2013, 07:54 PM   #51
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1275 Times on 736 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimogden1984 View Post
what did Piers have to say about that?
He tried (successfully) to divert the conversation to stuff like what was her friendship with Martin like, and small talk like that.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:05 PM   #52
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2077 Times on 1228 Posts
Likes Given: 1019

Totality of the circumstances!
The decision to 'confront' was Martins, the decision to 'attack violently' was Martins. The decision to shoot or don't shoot was made by Martin by his unjustified violent criminal assault on Zimmerman placing him in fear of his life. Who is the victim and who is the criminal here??????
Progressives have done what they do best, they have 'spun' this 180 degrees out of the truth and they control the narrative. Stand your ground was not a factor here no matter how you spin this.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Last edited by JimRau; 07-17-2013 at 08:09 PM.
Rocky7 Likes This 
Old 07-17-2013, 08:09 PM   #53

Liked 257 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason609 View Post
Yes and no.

Having a friend bring someone to your home that you don't know, are you going to tell them both to leave? Probably not. Are you going to get to know that person and decide if you should tell them to leave or stay? More than likely.

However, just because you don't immediately tell them to leave, does not mean that you have given permission for that person to be there.

Now, what if the property owner isn't there (say you, for instance) but has given permission to his neice to stay the weekend there and she brings a friend. You only gave permission for 1 person, and not the other (she never asked if she could bring someone and you never explicitly forbade it), so legally speaking, that other person is tresspassing, even though he/she is with someone that does have permission to be there.

See what I'm saying?
I do understand what you are saying and I agree with the last part of your comment. I just don't agree with the first part. If I am on my property and a friend comes up with someone I don't know, by me not telling him to leave I am giving him permission to be there.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:09 PM   #54
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2258 Times on 1228 Posts
Likes Given: 3528

It is unlikely that stand your ground laws or make my day laws will be struck down. The anti-self defense blissninnies in some states may pressure their legislators into changing those laws.

The SCOTUS had upheld "stand your ground":

[quote]

Quote:
"Stand your ground" governs U.S. federal case law in which right of self-defense is asserted against a charge of criminal homicide. The Supreme Court of the United States ruled in Beard v. U.S. (158 U.S. 550 (1895)) that a man who was "on his premises" when he came under attack and "...did not provoke the assault, and had at the time reasonable grounds to believe, and in good faith believed, that the deceased intended to take his life, or do him great bodily harm...was not obliged to retreat, nor to consider whether he could safely retreat, but was entitled to stand his ground."[2][3]
More:

http://www.whas11.com/news/Appeals-court-dismisses-mans-conviction-under-Ky-stand-your-ground-law-160032735.html

The FL law has been upheld on appeal:

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20090819/BREAKING/908199951
Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. declared in Brown v. United States (1921) (256 U.S. 335, 343 (16 May 1921)), a case that upheld the "no duty to retreat" maxim, that "detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife".[4]
Old 07-17-2013, 09:45 PM   #55

Liked 1396 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau View Post
Stand your ground was not a factor here no matter how you spin this.
You are overlooking the possibility that the liberal Borg believe that a man pinned on his back, being punched in the face, with a broken nose and whose head is being driven back onto the concrete hard enough to split the scalp has the option to safely retreat.

Since he had that option but did not retreat, he must have been relying on SYG law when he shot TM.

(I never said it made any sense)

C.S.S.A.; N.F.A.; N.R.A. Life Member
Make the world a better place; have your liberal spayed or neutered.

Old 07-17-2013, 10:24 PM   #56
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2077 Times on 1228 Posts
Likes Given: 1019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky7 View Post
You are overlooking the possibility that the liberal Borg believe that a man pinned on his back, being punched in the face, with a broken nose and whose head is being driven back onto the concrete hard enough to split the scalp has the option to safely retreat.

Since he had that option but did not retreat, he must have been relying on SYG law when he shot TM.

(I never said it made any sense)
Progressive never do make sense because their dialogue defies the facts and reality!!!
Not to mention they are the most ruthless dishonest people on the face of the earth.

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Rocky7 Likes This 
Old 07-17-2013, 11:38 PM   #57
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2024 Times on 1183 Posts
Likes Given: 4305

What Holder wants to do is turn the United States into United Kingdom. If you defend yourself, you are punished and not the criminal.

You see the United Kingdom, that will be the future of the United States.

He does not want citizens to defend themselves; but, to retreat and retreat and finally just give in.

What he is doing is not going after self defense; but, more towards the destruction of the 2nd Amendment and all civil liberties.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:47 PM   #58
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1292 Times on 628 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Part of the understanding of this is that none of the media that decry the SYG, or agree with the lack of justice in the case, ever mention the fact that the one being beaten was GZ. Holder didn't bring that up, Rev Al didn't bring that up. It was all the poor black kid that was being killed by a racist, half hispanic white man. The alphabet news agencies all ignored it. Noone mentioned that people are killed by feet and hands, and it looked to me like without the gun, GZ was next.

Oh, and the Rev Al was in Orlando today echoing his hero Holder. They are determined to get rid of SYG. They probably can in Kalifornia, Colorado, NY, NJ, CT and maybe a few others.

I think the rest of the country will thumb their noses at the idea of that.

A bad day at the range is better then a good day on the job!

Old 07-18-2013, 04:29 AM   #59

Liked 1396 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1932

If Holder sees this report, will he blow a fuse?

C.S.S.A.; N.F.A.; N.R.A. Life Member
Make the world a better place; have your liberal spayed or neutered.

People Like This 
Old 07-18-2013, 04:38 AM   #60
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6599 Times on 3676 Posts
Likes Given: 6248

Trespassing is another issue altogether. Varies from state to state. But generally unrelated to SYG.

Here, if a person is on your property, with your knowledge, uninvited, and you do not ask him to leave, you have given tacit approval to his presence and he is not trespassing.

If the land is posted "No Trespassing" and a person is there without your active approval, he is in trespass. You do not need to ask him to leave for him to be legally in trespass.

But trespassing alone is a misdemeanor, and does not justify use of force. you call the sheriff.

Of course, if he's trespassing for the purpose of rustling your cattle, that's a different story.

War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz
V
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.
Winston Churchill

People Like This