Stand Your Ground and Castle Doctrine - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Stand Your Ground and Castle Doctrine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2013, 04:25 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

This move to Mob rule is getting close to a "Flash" point. "Z" would not have been arrested if it were not for mob action and fear of riots. Now mob action is moving to over turn the indefensible court case. The Federal government is supporting these actions.
The majority in this country is being pushed too far. I fear we will return to the racial discourse of the 1960s.

Old 07-17-2013, 04:44 AM   #22

Liked 257 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 185

I've read Florida's SYG law, and as a disclaimer I am in no way a lawyer so do your own research, it states that as long as you are within your legal rights to be where you are, you have no duty to retreat from someone that means to do you bodily harm or imminent death. In that situation , you can only use deadly force if in fear of imminent death. The reason this wasn't a SYG case is because Zimmerman was the one attacked, and he had no possible avenue of escape from the situation. There was a case a couple years ago where a man was attacked at a bus stop in Florida and stabbed his attacker to death and was found not guilty under SYG, so I'm pretty sure it covers anywhere in the state unless you are trespassing, or in the act of committing crime.

Last edited by Devin556; 07-17-2013 at 04:47 AM.
Balota Likes This 
Old 07-17-2013, 04:47 AM   #23

Liked 158 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 84

It's just another atack on human nature by wussies who could never defend themselves. Survival of the fittest is going to be outlawed on the serenghetti soon. I wonder how the lions are going to deal with that.

Old 07-17-2013, 04:53 AM   #24

Ok, found a link. It wasn't a man, it was a 14 year old that stabbed a 16 year old bully to death. http://m.naplesnews.com/news/2012/jan/03/collier-judge-upholds-stand-your-ground-defense-ca/

Old 07-17-2013, 04:56 AM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 652 Times on 396 Posts
Likes Given: 3612

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimogden1984 View Post
Seems like he's more worried about making things easier for minorities than what's good for the country as a whole. I'm all for equal opportunities but special treatment for any group of people shouldn't be part of the equation.
Equal opportunity IS special treatment.

I have personally seen instances where the person better qualified for a job was passed over because the person hiring feared an EEO complaint.

At a former Security company I used to work at, I've seen gay white men and black men with a better security background than me get passed over because a woman with no security experience (or any equivalent) had commented that she saw so few women with the company.

Hell, back in the late 90s, I got passed over for Boston Police (I scored a 99 on the exam and only 6 people were ahead of me - all were Veterans that scored lower, and I didn't mind). They were only taking 7 people for the next academy class, and I was told that as long as the interviews and background checks went well, I would be in that class. The day after all that was finished, I was informed by a BPD Captain I knew that there was a chance I wouldn't make it on, because someone brought a discrimination suit against BPD. It was a guy that took the test the same time I did, that had 2 hearing aids (and needed them in order to hear).

Let's just say, he won, barely passed the academy, and he was killed and his training office severely wounded because his batteries died and he couldn't hear a gunman walk up on him.

Prior to that, I supported unrestricted EO. After that (well, mainly the trial part) I supported an employers right to be picky - especially police, fire, EMT and the military (though, I always supported the latter).

Insert witty comment here......

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 07-17-2013, 05:09 AM   #26

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Awesome comments, thanks.

I realize that SYG was not part of the Zimmerman defense, and that is what I find amusing (sadly) about the attack on SYG.

It's another attempt at gun grabbing, yes, I fully believe that. They will milk this for all it's worth.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:13 AM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin556 View Post
I've read Florida's SYG law, and as a disclaimer I am in no way a lawyer so do your own research, it states that as long as you are within your legal rights to be where you are, you have no duty to retreat from someone that means to do you bodily harm or imminent death. In that situation , you can only use deadly force if in fear of imminent death. The reason this wasn't a SYG case is because Zimmerman was the one attacked, and he had no possible avenue of escape from the situation. There was a case a couple years ago where a man was attacked at a bus stop in Florida and stabbed his attacker to death and was found not guilty under SYG, so I'm pretty sure it covers anywhere in the state unless you are trespassing, or in the act of committing crime.
"Within your legal rights to be where you are"

That's where much of the confusion over SYG centers.

You have a legal right to be in a privately owned bar, until you are kicked out and told never to come back.

You don't have a legal right to walk into Raytheon (unless it's a meeting, a job interview or you know someone that works there and are meeting them).

But, do you have a legal right to go to the home of a friend of a friend of yours, that you never met? Just because you aren't asked to leave, doesn't mean yes.

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere

Old 07-17-2013, 05:25 AM   #28

When dealing with private property you have to have the permission of the property owner or you are trespassing. If the property owner is present and you are visiting them, then by them not telling you to leave they are giving you permission to be there. If the property owner is not present and has not given permission for you to be on their property, then it is still trespassing.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:37 AM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 330 Times on 179 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I guess I should elaborate, by equal opportunity I mean what do you bring to the table, are you the best man/woman for the job regardless of what color you are or or what gender, who you pray to if at all.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:38 AM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin556 View Post
When dealing with private property you have to have the permission of the property owner or you are trespassing. If the property owner is present and you are visiting them, then by them not telling you to leave they are giving you permission to be there. If the property owner is not present and has not given permission for you to be on their property, then it is still trespassing.
Yes and no.

Having a friend bring someone to your home that you don't know, are you going to tell them both to leave? Probably not. Are you going to get to know that person and decide if you should tell them to leave or stay? More than likely.

However, just because you don't immediately tell them to leave, does not mean that you have given permission for that person to be there.

Now, what if the property owner isn't there (say you, for instance) but has given permission to his neice to stay the weekend there and she brings a friend. You only gave permission for 1 person, and not the other (she never asked if she could bring someone and you never explicitly forbade it), so legally speaking, that other person is tresspassing, even though he/she is with someone that does have permission to be there.

See what I'm saying?

Veritas Aequitas

Vincit Omnia Veritas

Vincere est Vivere