Stand Your Ground and Castle Doctrine - Page 20
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism >

Stand Your Ground and Castle Doctrine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2013, 03:43 PM   #191
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 253 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU

Yep. McCain is a Democrat who ran under the Republican ticket because he would not have been elected on the Democrat ticket.
Worse than a RINO.
Which begs the question how did he get the nomination in 2008?

Old 07-25-2013, 03:17 AM   #192

Liked 5012 Times on 2430 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU View Post
Yep. McCain is a Democrat who ran under the Republican ticket because he would not have been elected on the Democrat ticket.
Worse than a RINO.
...and just think about all the unnecessary pain and suffering the NVA could have saved us from!

Tack
People Like This 
Old 07-25-2013, 03:44 AM   #193

Liked 5012 Times on 2430 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Quote:
Originally Posted by davva360 View Post
Which begs the question how did he get the nomination in 2008?
Same way Romney got it in 2012... It was his turn.

You would think the R's would have learned something from Bill Clinton.

After Bob Dole fell of the stage while bending down to shake a hand... Clintons campain ran add's of him falling on a repeating loop with the come commentator saying:

"It may be YOUR turn Bob... But it's NOT your time..."
"Bill Clinton for President"

That add sealed Doles fate and allowed Americas first admitted dope smoker into the Oval Office...

...well... That... and a Pineape with a bad haircut by the name of Ross Perott

Tack
locutus Likes This 
Old 07-25-2013, 04:03 AM   #194
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2292 Times on 1363 Posts
Likes Given: 1231

I guess many of you missed the point here. Most of the progressives wear the democrat label, but many progressive wear the republican label, this is why I am unaffiliated!!!
Please vote out the progressives no matter what party they claim!!!!!
People Like This 
Old 07-26-2013, 11:59 AM   #195
I used to play keyboards, but now ...
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 3195 Times on 1932 Posts
Likes Given: 3074

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devin556 View Post
I've read Florida's SYG law, and as a disclaimer I am in no way a lawyer so do your own research, it states that as long as you are within your legal rights to be where you are, you have no duty to retreat from someone that means to do you bodily harm or imminent death. In that situation , you can only use deadly force if in fear of imminent death. The reason this wasn't a SYG case is because Zimmerman was the one attacked, and he had no possible avenue of escape from the situation. There was a case a couple years ago where a man was attacked at a bus stop in Florida and stabbed his attacker to death and was found not guilty under SYG, so I'm pretty sure it covers anywhere in the state unless you are trespassing, or in the act of committing crime.
You are correct. I know in Oklahoma the law allows SYG anyplace you have a right to be, not just in your home. I understood from one of the other posts here that most of the SYG states have very similar wording on this issue, but I haven't gone out to read each states laws for myself.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:40 PM   #196
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by TankTop View Post
What if..... 2am and I hear someone breaking into my car in the driveway of my home. I don't advocate deadly force for a simple property crime, but can I confront the BG with weapon drawn and order him to leave? Furthermore can I use self defense if BG decides to attack me or would I be the instigator of the confrontation? Also I live in a castle doctrine/SYG state.
I am not a lawyer. And I don't think any lawyers who post here would want their posts to represent legal advice. However, as I understand it, in most states that have Castle Doctrine and SYG, your property is your own. You can be armed and carry on your property without any kind of permit. Drawing your weapon on your property is your decision. Telling him to leave is certainly also within your rights. If he attacks you in the face of a drawn weapon, you can make a good case that (a) he was threatening to harm you, (b) you had good reason to believe he was dangerous, and (c) you were justified in shooting him.

The sticky part is when the BG decides to ignore you. If he does not present a credible threat to your life, you can't shoot.
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:09 PM   #197

Liked 3239 Times on 1624 Posts
Likes Given: 426

It begins:
http://dailycaller.com/2013/07/24/dem-congresswoman-introduces-bill-to-cut-funds-to-stand-your-ground-states

Quote:
Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee reintroduced the Justice Exists for Us All Act to Congress Wednesday.
The bill, which the Texas Democrat stated is a response to the acquittal of George Zimmerman in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin, would pressure states to drop stand-your-ground laws, which assert that citizens can use force for self-defense rather than being required to retreat from dangerous situations.
Under the Justice Exists proposal, states that didn’t amend their stand-your-ground laws and require a “duty to retreat” would face a 20 percent cut to previously allocated funds.
Additionally, to avoid the cut in funds, states would have to require local neighborhood watch programs to register with local law enforcement.
Jackson Lee’s press secretary Mike McQuerry reiterated to The Daily Caller that Congresswoman Lee is pushing the bill now because “she’s always been interested in what happened with Trayvon.”
However, Zimmerman waived his right to a defense under Florida’s stand-your-ground law. When TheDC pointed this out, McQuerry said merely, ”She just thinks it’s the right time to pursue it now.”
Florida’s stand-your-ground law has benefited African-Americans at a rate disproportionate to the size of the state’s black population.
Seems kind of iffy from a 10th amendment standpoint, but what do I know.

Bonus entertainment:
Go to Bing or google and type in "how stupid is S" and her name pops up 5th. Add the "h" and it's number 1. Admittedly it doesn't really prove anything, but you know you're one of many to ask the question.
Oh, BTW, Texas, WTF? Can you please get this idiot back to her village?
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand
People Like This 
Old 07-26-2013, 01:48 PM   #198
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1280 Times on 738 Posts
Likes Given: 1937

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balota View Post
I am not a lawyer. And I don't think any lawyers who post here would want their posts to represent legal advice. However, as I understand it, in most states that have Castle Doctrine and SYG, your property is your own. You can be armed and carry on your property without any kind of permit. Drawing your weapon on your property is your decision. Telling him to leave is certainly also within your rights. If he attacks you in the face of a drawn weapon, you can make a good case that (a) he was threatening to harm you, (b) you had good reason to believe he was dangerous, and (c) you were justified in shooting him.

The sticky part is when the BG decides to ignore you. If he does not present a credible threat to your life, you can't shoot.
I just thought about something that I'd like some comment on. If a BG is breaking into your car, maybe you could call 911, and while you are on the phone, go outside with a holstered gun and a camera, and let the BG see you taking pictures of him and his vehicle. Maybe he will run without any loot. If he attacks you, and you have to shoot, then cest la vie. Also, would the dispatcher tell you not to go outside?

Old 07-26-2013, 02:03 PM   #199

Liked 9211 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

If someone's breaking into my car, I'm confronting them with an UNholstered gun (21 feet rule). I'll be on the phone with 911, having given them the location and situation before going outside, and I'll be screaming at them (the perp) to "go away, I'm armed and on the phone with police" while keeping the connection open between myself and the emergency dispatcher.

What happens from there..."the best laid plans of mice and men..."

Is anything in my car worth killing over? No. But it ain't worth laying down and taking such a violation like a little beeyotch either.

Anyone asking "what if" questions in regards to robbery, I would guess haven't been through it. Being robbed has often been likened to being raped. I believe it. There is no greater sense of being violated in the dirtiest manner, except likely in the event of an actual rape. When you come home, and discover your SANCTUARY has been invaded, everything pulled out of its rightful place and rifled through. Some things taken, some left behind. Having your entire LIFE finger freaked by some ******* looking for something to sell for his next fix. In YOUR HOME. YOUR SAFE PLACE. YOUR SANCTUARY WHERE YOU CAN SHUT OUT THE WORLD AT WILL.

Considering I spend as much time inn my car as I do in my house, and it IS an extension of my sanctuary, I would be just as upset at someone raping that part of my life too.
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 07-27-2013, 03:02 AM   #200
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIKIJUTSU View Post
I just thought about something that I'd like some comment on. If a BG is breaking into your car, maybe you could call 911, and while you are on the phone, go outside with a holstered gun and a camera, and let the BG see you taking pictures of him and his vehicle. Maybe he will run without any loot. If he attacks you, and you have to shoot, then cest la vie. Also, would the dispatcher tell you not to go outside?
If you call 911 and tell them you are going outside to take pictures, they will almost certainly tell you not to do that. Listen to the Zimmerman 911 call sometime.

You need to decide ahead of time how you intend to respond to this situation. Waiting to figure it out under time pressure with a BG nearby is a bad plan. Many people will decide to let their material goods go. They don't want the heartache that will almost surely accompany the taking of a life. But if you intend to defend your property, consider the following:

If the car is on your property, go outside, armed, "to see if it is your neighbor rolling up your windows for you". When you discover a BG, press Call on your 911 call and start talking loudly. "Hey get out of here! I'm armed and you are scaring me! I've already called 911! The police are on the way!" etc.

If he comes towards you, put the phone down while screaming "Don't come any closer!", then start firing. Center of mass. Rinse and repeat until you are out of rounds or targets or both. You are in fear of your life. That doesn't match up with one or two carefully aimed shots.