Spin this!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Spin this!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2010, 05:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Default Spin this!

Wonder how the gun hating liberals can spin this (from Ohio):

Quote:
JEFFERSON -- In the ongoing financial crisis in Ashtabula County, the Sheriff's Department has been cut from 112 to 49 deputies. With deputies assigned to transport prisoners, serve warrants and other duties, only one patrol car is assigned to patrol the entire county of 720 square miles.

"I did the best with what they (the county commissioners) gave me. If it wasn't enough, don't blame me, don't blame this department," said Sheriff Billy Johnson.

Johnson said he is suing the commissioners to get a determination of whether he should use his limited budget to carry out obligations defined by law or put more patrol cars on the streets.

"I just can't do it anymore," he said. "I have to have the court explain to the commissioners and to me what my statutory duties are."

The Ashtabula County Jail has confined as many as 140 prisoners. It now houses only 30 because of reductions in the staff of corrections officers.

All told, 700 accused criminals are on a waiting list to serve time in the jail.

Are there dangerous people free among the 700 who cannot be locked up?

"There probably are," Sheriff Johnson said, "but I'm telling you, any known violent criminal, we're housing them. We've got murderers in there."

Ashtabula County is the largest county in Ohio by land area.

Ashtabula County Common Pleas Judge Alfred Mackey was asked what residents should do to protect themselves and their families with the severe cutback in law enforcement.

"Arm themselves," the judge said. "Be very careful, be vigilant, get in touch with your neighbors, because we're going to have to look after each other."
Link: Judge Tells Residents in Broke County to 'Arm Themselves' | The FOX Nation

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-13-2010, 06:07 PM   #2

Liked 1089 Times on 642 Posts
Likes Given: 340

We must raise taxes to protect our children!

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 04-13-2010, 06:15 PM   #3

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Well, no sh!t!!

But, why are the County Commisssioners still getting a salary, Why haven't other county expenditures been slashed to afford the Sheriff monies to operate the jail?

Things that make you go....Duh!!

Issue more carry permits, and wave the $67 and $92 fees.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:17 PM   #4

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

And folks I didn't post this to start a conversation on taxes & spending - it was just interesting to me that a Judge publicly stated that folks should defend themselves...

Old 04-13-2010, 06:28 PM   #5

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I just have a hair trigger for that type of stuff anymore!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:41 PM   #6

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
And folks I didn't post this to start a conversation on taxes & spending - it was just interesting to me that a Judge publicly stated that folks should defend themselves...
NGIB, it's quite fitting that this came about now. I'm taking a copy of this to the dinner/meeting Friday night. I'll be curious to hear some comments if they have any.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 04-13-2010, 07:41 PM   #7

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I am not sure, but that might be the same judge who normally gives the option of some different kinds of sentences. Things like standing on the most conjested corner in town with a sign stating their offense. Of course they are minor offenses, but he like to go for humiation rather than a blot on someone's record. Might be the same judge. He's a keeper.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!