You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism >

Sound Suppressors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2010, 02:45 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
doctherock's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Rainy sh!thole,Oregon
Posts: 5,147
Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts


I was shooting a very nicely outfitted 22-250 suppressed. You heard only a whisper when using subsonic ammo followed by the projectile hitting its mark.

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.
doctherock is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 05:45 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HotGuns's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 127
Liked 28 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7


Would it be possible to get with some local Sheriffs, maybe get a grant of some sort, make a few of them legally for the police department without having to pay $200 to give it away, and get a patent on the design???? If so; what would be the first few stepping stones to hit along the way???
To make a suppressor legally for anyone other than yourself requires an 07 Manufacturers FFL along with an 02 SOT.

You can make one for yourself with a Form 1 IF it is legal in your state to do so.

Military and Police are exempt from paying the transfer fee as long as you have a letterhead stating that it will be used in official duties and this letterhead must be on file. Most cops that I deal with get a letterhead from the dept to buy a suppressor. For personal use such as hunting, they must pay the fee and it is registered to them.

I seriously doubt that you could get a grant to from the Police Dept's, to make any. Mostly if they do get a grant, it will be for equipment that they deem necessary and if suppressors are one of the tools they need, they will buy it from established dealers that are properly licensed and provide them with the required paperwork.

The 07 FFL is $150 for 3 years. The SOT (Special Occupational Tax) is $500 per year if you do less than $500,000 in business the first year, if you do more than that it is $1000 per year.

And of course, you need the equipment and the skills to make an effective suppressor that will not self destruct when you shoot it. That requires a lathe and in some cases a mill along with all the supporting tools. As an 07 Manufacturer, you could legally load the subsonic ammo and sell it to those that need it as some subsonic ammo is hard to get or very expensive and subsonic ammo is used to be truly quiet as standard ammo is still pretty loud due to the sonic crack that it makes.

07/02 FFL and Police Officer.
HotGuns is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Muzzle Breaks and Suppressors? Redarrow18 Firearm Accessories & Gear 11 08-13-2010 08:51 PM
Sound familiar ? kalgunner Politics, Religion and Controversy 2 07-16-2010 02:41 AM
Suppressors? Uchahi NFA/Class 3 & FFL Discussion 1 06-01-2010 12:58 AM
AR Suppressors Tilt AR-15 Discussion 4 11-27-2007 01:19 PM
Suppressors MrM4A1 Gunsmithing Forum 4 10-05-2007 07:05 PM