Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Sound Suppressors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2010, 12:54 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 621 Times on 331 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Default Sound Suppressors

I went to Kentucky a few months ago and got the pleasure of shooting a friend’s .223 with a neat little (and legal) suppressor on it. Being inquisitive as I am, I wanted to know how it worked so he opened it up for me. Well it was heavy as hell, not as quiet as it could have been, and not too big (especially for it‘s weight).
So my mind got to running. I went to work and started doing some digging and talking to a few other engineers. I’ve done a **** ton of reading and digging around and checking open patents on sound suppressors. I’ve come up with the drawings for something longer, (should be) far more suppressive, an odd shape to rack up the gas flow behind the bullet, lighter on internal workings, and over all just lighter in general. If it works as expected it would shut a .223 damn good and you should be able to hear the firing pin hit on a .22
I’ve got enough of a grasp on the laws that I would have to fill out the paper work, go to the cop-shop, pay $200, and sit on my thumb for six weeks. But I really have no use for one but would like to build one and see it put to good use.
As there’s a few cops on here and some folks with a little legal insight……. Would it be possible to get with some local Sheriffs, maybe get a grant of some sort, make a few of them legally for the police department without having to pay $200 to give it away, and get a patent on the design???? If so; what would be the first few stepping stones to hit along the way???

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-28-2010, 03:12 AM   #2

Fun haters...

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Old 09-28-2010, 04:46 AM   #3

Liked 21 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 15

as far as I ama aware the only legal way to create a sound suppressor is as a manufacturer that is registered and approved by the atf. And that will be very expensive. However, i'm no expert.

we're Americans and we pray for peace, and if we can't have peace we find and destroy the people who screwed up the damn peace. So we can have some peace. - Christopher Titus

Old 09-28-2010, 10:35 AM   #4
bkt

Liked 1302 Times on 661 Posts
Likes Given: 151

collegekid is right. If you get your Class III license, you are allowed to buy a suppressor but you can't make one yourself. If you have an idea for a new design, patent it then try selling the patent to a company that makes them. Or, you could start up your own company but you would need to consult with an attorney on what hoops you would need to jump through to be able to legally manufacture and sell class III stuff.

The $200 tax stamp goes to the Federal government, not the local sheriff. So there are no compromise deals to be had. Sorry.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:10 PM   #5

Well that sucks.
I knew the 200 went to the feds but was thinking I could still make my one myself. I'll have to do some more digging.

~George Washington

Old 09-29-2010, 08:37 PM   #6

you can manufacture one yourself on a form 1, however, you must get your form 1 approval prior to making the firearm(suppressor/silencer is a firearm) and it has to be marked to BATFE specs

Old 09-29-2010, 09:31 PM   #7

Thank you sir. I just found that today while looking through the interweb.

~George Washington

Old 10-02-2010, 11:02 PM   #8

You could locate a class 2 manufacturer and have then make a prototype of the supressor. If it works well..sell them the design or go ahead and get a patent on your design.

Individuals, businesses, trusts and cops all pay the one time $ 200 transfer tax for a supressor. IF they are purchased by a police agency, there is no transfer tax. They can issue them to the officers BUT they remain property of the agency.

I would recommend visiting a public library with a computer hooked up to the USPTO office and view ALL current sound supressor patents prior to filing anything.

Good Luck ! Size = volume = quieter. Too many people seek tiny movie supressors and they just are not as quiet !

Old 10-03-2010, 01:06 AM   #9

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

The big thing with suppressors and the AR platform are failure to cycle. Improve on the silencing and the cycling and you will be good to go.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:59 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7615 Times on 3315 Posts
Likes Given: 1129

The QUIETEST suppressed firearm I have ever seen (and got to fire one ONCE, long ago) was a bolt action carbine in .45 ACP. Noise comes from three sources- the muzzle blast (which is the only one that is suppresed by the suppressor) the supersonic KER-RACK of the bullet (.45 ACP is subsonic- no KER-RACK) and the action cycling (bolt action, you can hear the firing pin hit the primer) Even a good can does not "silence" a firearm if the other two sources are not controlled.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.