So, where do you personally draw the line. . . - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > So, where do you personally draw the line. . .

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2010, 05:29 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 39 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
Here in the People's Republik, any LEO may purchase pretty much any firearm they want including a .50 Barrett. As civilians, we are restricted to what is approved. Apparently, shall not be infringed only applies to certain people.
There is actually a small caveat to that. LEOs in CA can only purchase a gun unavailable to civilians if they have an affadavit from their department verifying that the weapon is intended for official department use. This came up when I was buying my first handgun. I thought an LEO could buy a restricted handgun and sell it to me, turns out he couldn't buy it at all because he didn't intend to carry it on duty...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirrel_Slayer View Post
CA, I have seen sighns in places such as Wild Sports that states "Active LEO and retired military personnel are able to purchase .50BMG" if I recall. Is that true? I would think that alot of non active military personnel would be firing these things off if such was the case. Why is it that Rancho Cordova Gun Range can offer their .50 Armalite for use by the public? Is it simply because they have an FFL license?
Your range probably bought it before the ban and registered it as an AW before the registration deadline. FFLs in CA can't get anything restricted shipped to them unless they have a copy of the affadavit mentioned above.
As far as retired military... I find that unlikely. Even active duty are subject to the same restrictions as the rest of us here, with the exception of AWs they owned out of state. If an active duty service member from Kentucky owns a non-neutered AR and gets transferred to CA, he can apply for a permit to bring it with him. He cannot purchase or build such a weapon once he's here.

Disclaimer: I'm 95% sure of this stuff, but I'm not a lawyer.

Old 11-05-2010, 05:34 AM   #32

Liked 39 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I believe that firearm ownership is like the economy and nature: self regulating. If you leave them alone, they'll work themselves out. If convicted felons are allowed to own fully automatic weapons, so are the guys who don't appreciate criminal activity. The criminals won't be active very long, and as the gangbangers and junkies see what happens to them in a self regulating system, their misdeeds will become much less attractive. I think that half the reason criminals are so bold is that they know they can rely on the state to protect them from the community.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:51 AM   #33

I worked with a guy who had an operating Gatlin Gun on his lawn ! He was from Harleysville, PA. a very gun friendly town.

No Son of a Bitch ever won a War by Dying for His Country ! It's the Son of a Bitch who makes the Other Poor Bastard Die for His Country who Wins the War !

George S. Patton, General 3rd Army United States .

Old 11-05-2010, 05:20 PM   #34
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Well, you folks have seen how confusing CA's gun laws are. You practically need to have a law degree to figure them out.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-05-2010, 05:41 PM   #35
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5678 Times on 2965 Posts
Likes Given: 375

explosive (as in bomb type effects as found in rockets and grenades), corrosive, biological, radiological devices should be no-go. reason for this is even expert storage systems are less than safe and are often stored far from where people live. i have no issues with people owning automatic weapons flame throwers or non-explosive cannons.

Old 11-05-2010, 06:53 PM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
Remove the government fees and artificial price increase due to the ban and you would be able to afford a fully auto if you could afford a semi-auto of whatever gun. What's the difference, a small part and maybe a heavier barrel due to increased heat.
I was really thinking more about the huge piles of ammo i would waste if i had a full auto. Maybe if it was in 7.62 or 9mm...{drool}

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 11-06-2010, 04:51 AM   #37

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo da Plumbr View Post
That is very true Skull.

I have to say I am glad the Gang Bangers here in LA do not have fully automatic weapons. I also realize the only reason they don't have them is because they are not available to me either. So I am OK with not having RPGs and hand grenades in my local Wal-Mart, because this place is enough of a war zone.
I feel like if all legal gun owners can own full auto that it should be ok. I can't see a missile, grenade, rocket launcher being used for good, at this time, but I can see why you might need one in Israel. Thing is I don't like the restrictions placed on the NFA back in 86 by Reagen, but for some reason lawmakers just think that "Shall Not Be Infringed" means Hurry Up & Crap On It.

Last edited by billdeserthills; 11-06-2010 at 04:52 AM. Reason: It's a secret

Old 11-07-2010, 06:47 PM   #38

Liked 65 Times on 36 Posts

The original Bill of Rights (10) were adopted as a single unit in 1791. They are a collection of mutually reinforcing guarantees of an individual US citizen's rights and of limitations on the federal, state and local governments.

The Second Amendent of this Bill of Rights states:
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

"arms" are firearms and other weapons that an indivudual can carry (bear). That's what they passed - That's what they meant!

Trying to draw a line anywhere else is infringment. That's why they added the last four words!

Last edited by RaySendero; 11-07-2010 at 09:02 PM.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:18 AM   #39
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySendero View Post
The original Bill of Rights (10) were adopted as a single unit in 1791. They are a collection of mutually reinforcing guarantees of an individual US citizen's rights and of limitations on the federal, state and local governments.
Nope. The Bill of Rights established limits only on the Federal government. Portions of the BoR have been incorporated against state (and therefore local) governments but until recently, 2A was definitely not among them. It may be that 2A has been incorporated against the states (MacDonald v. Chicago and 9th Circuit ruling), but until there are suits against state/local governments challenging gun control laws those laws won't disappear.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:18 PM   #40

There sould be no limitations if the people are law abiding citizens. As for full auto weapons the only law that they should have is you should need to go through a training class for maybe 8 hours to learn how to use them. The whole class III FFL thing is a little stringent. Yes you should need an FFL to sell or distribute any firearms but as far as auto weapons if you could qualify with it, you should be able to have it. I think that's pretty fair.
I understand if some would say there should be no resrictions, but I would feel a lot better knowing a person knows how to use an auto AR-15 or SPC 6.8, that is standing next to me at the range.

No Son of a Bitch ever won a War by Dying for His Country ! It's the Son of a Bitch who makes the Other Poor Bastard Die for His Country who Wins the War !

George S. Patton, General 3rd Army United States .