So I want to sell my shotgun, but I have no papers
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > So I want to sell my shotgun, but I have no papers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2013, 11:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default So I want to sell my shotgun, but I have no papers

Okay, so a buddy of mine awhile ago sold me a shotgun, that someone else sold him, but he never had any paper with it, so I don't have any papers. Another one of my friends now wants to buy the shotgun and he's willing the pay double for what I paid for it. I don't want to be liable in any way, even though it would basically be his word against mine if something happened. Is there a way I can set up some sort of legal document stating that he purchased the shotgun and thus takes all responsibility for it, or can I not do that since I myself don't have papers for it?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-28-2013, 11:30 PM   #2

Liked 1651 Times on 985 Posts
Likes Given: 361

You probably don't need any paperwork to sell your shotgun though your state might be different from mine. The only issue that can bite you in the butt is if it turned out to have been stolen somewhere down the line.

In Florida, we have a state call line that you can dial up, enter the serial number of a gun, and if it has any legal issues you get the information. For instance, you enter serial xxxxxx and it comes up wanted by the Broward County Sheriffs dept. then you don't want it.

Hopefully your state has something similar.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 06-28-2013, 11:31 PM   #3
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7774 Times on 4216 Posts
Likes Given: 16440

Just make up a bill of sale and save a copy.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

People Like This 
Old 06-28-2013, 11:37 PM   #4

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
Just make up a bill of sale and save a copy.
How actually do I do that? What information should I put on it. I've never made a bill of sale before.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:41 PM   #5
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

sell it through an FFL dealer on consignment. i may be wrong, but can't an FFL dealer check the status of a firearm, to see if there are any legal issues related to it? pretty sure the LE agency in your area could do it, but if there are any issues, one or several of your friends may be getting a visit from some men in blue asking questions about the firearm.

Old 06-28-2013, 11:45 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1787 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 1551

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerickVonD View Post
How actually do I do that? What information should I put on it. I've never made a bill of sale before.
Manufacturer
Model (if known)
Serial Number (if available)
Seller and buyers names & addresses.
How much you sold it for (optional)

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 06-28-2013, 11:46 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3085 Times on 1546 Posts
Likes Given: 380

First- find out if you need any papers. I don't know how Maryland does things. You could just go into a gun store and ask exactly what sort of paperwork is generated/required with a firearms sale that is specific to your state, if any.

If there is no state requirement for registration or other such nonsense, typically a simple bill of sale will do. Many times (at least here) this may be accompanied by photocopies of photo IDs. Private sellers in UT typically ask for a Concealed Carry Permit since that means you've already been vetted specifically regarding firearms. However, Maryland being a borderline communist state, they might have some oddball rules for firearms transfer. You will want to find out for sure before you are explaining to your lawyer how you didn't know selling that old gun to your friend was illegal.

If your worried about whether your old gun is carrying any baggage, so to speak, I would have a word with a gun store to learn out what they do to find these things out, or place a call to a local law enforcement agency to find out what sort of options there are to find out.

NRA Life Member

Liberals are constantly telling us about the poor and oppressed in this country. With that in mind, why do they feel the need to keep importing poor people from other countries?

Last edited by Overkill0084; 06-29-2013 at 12:13 AM.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-28-2013, 11:46 PM   #8

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFlynt View Post
Manufacturer
Model (if known)
Serial Number (if available)
Seller and buyers names.
How much you sold it for (optional)
Wouldn't this have to be notarized though?

Old 06-28-2013, 11:48 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1787 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 1551

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerickVonD View Post
Wouldn't this have to be notarized though?
Not necessarily, it can be but it's not like the title on a car.

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Old 06-28-2013, 11:49 PM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFlynt View Post
Not necessarily, it can be but it's not like the title on a car.
I guess I'm just being paranoid, I just don't want him to do something stupid with it and it come back on me.