You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism >

so I was browsing FBI statistics...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2015, 11:27 AM   #11
I used to play keyboards, but now ...
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7200 Times on 3980 Posts
Likes Given: 5651

How do their stats today compare to their stats from before they passed a "shall issue" CCW law (or declared for constitutional carry)? For that matter, are they all "shall issue"?

Though I agree with you about the demographics aspect. So per capita, the differences are not so large. And California has a much higher urban population. So a somewhat higher incidence of gun related murders is to be expected with a higher concentration of gangs, for example.

Do the FBI statistics enable someone to distinguish between murders related to gang activity from other murders? If so, how do the non-gang murders per capita compare?

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.
Generalizations are (almost) always bad.
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/10th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-13-14-15-2017-a-123120/#post1850960

Last edited by Balota; 07-06-2015 at 11:34 AM.
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 07-06-2015, 11:55 AM   #12

Liked 410 Times on 239 Posts
Likes Given: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
Most likely because of the demographics.

Look, the gun-friendly Alabama has a higher murder rate than CA. Nevada, about the same. The stats are not convincing either way, much as some folks want them to be.

Added: Even within the DOJ, the BJS crime stats are often different from the FBI bureau of stats, because of the different methodology.
AFAIK, there were no demographics figured into the amendments as written, notably the second one. While I believe there may be plenty of numbers out there to make pro gun points, there are folks out there that know little and care even less about self defense and gun rights. And actually, if you dig into some of the homicide stats of the larger cities, ie Chicago, you will find that they will purposely miscatagorize some deaths in order to artificially lower homicides and/or death rates due to firearms.
I guess my point is, regardless of the latest numbers or who recorded them, the little lady in Baltimore was supposed to have the same rights as the rancher in Wyoming.

theboombrigade Likes This 
Old 07-06-2015, 12:33 PM   #13

Liked 6333 Times on 4168 Posts
Likes Given: 3245

No doubt she does. Being sober with facts and numbers is not subversive to 2A

The violent crime/murder rates have decreased nationwide. The South still has the highest as a region, Northeast the lowest. The latest preliminaries suggest an uptick in some areas. If it materializes, it is going to be known as the Obama reversal

Old 07-06-2015, 02:30 PM   #14

Liked 610 Times on 301 Posts
Likes Given: 1

the problem with statistics is they present facts minus reality.

When I moved to New Mexico from California, nobody asked me my name, anywhere. I go to the same restaurant twice a day for two and a half years, nobody asked me my name. One day, a waitress said "then" and I heard "Dan". I asked her why she finally used my name, and she asked me what IS your name? after I told her my name, all the waitresses started calling me by name. they figure if you don't tell them your name, you don't want them to know their name, and they don't read your name off your credit card.

same thing different way: I find myself explaining to blacks in bars: It ain't racial. the reason nobody is talking to you is that you did not talk to them first. they figure if you don't start the conversation you don't want to talk, so they respect your wishes and leave you alone.

600 miles, 100% attitude change from in your face confront California. From "What you looking at, sucka?" to "Well, I guess people look at other people where he comes from".

without that context, the statistics are facts devoid of information.
People Like This 
Old 07-06-2015, 07:26 PM   #15

Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 35

interesting read...

http://crimepreventionresearchcenter.org/2013/12/murder-and-homicide-rates-before-and-after-gun-bans/