Smoke Dope and Carry - Page 9
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism >

Smoke Dope and Carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2010, 08:38 AM   #81
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1617 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I live in a dry county. Meaning there is no alcohol sales within the county. But that just makes people drive further or make a bootlegger rich with the 150% markup they price the stuff at. Prohibition does not work. I don't drink myself. Lost my taste for it years back I guess. But I don't care much what others do as long as they are not doing something stupid like getting hammered and driving around. Don't like the hurting kids thing either. I'd be willign to bet my town is smaller One gas station and a tobacco store, an a Dollar General. I've lived all over though at one time or another. But back to topic. A simple truth is you can not take rights away from people because you think someone might do something stupid. The problem with that is where do you draw the line and who has the right to draw it? I have a way I believe things need ot be done but my rights stop at my door. I start encroaching on others as soon as I walk through it. Believing in personal responsibility to me means that if I end up doing something dumbassed I pay the penalty for what happens. But I can't say that anyone else need pay for my inability to do the right thing. That's taking away your rights and the rights of everyone else.

Reactionary government creates less opportunities for liberty. It've been a tool used for years to curtail our freedoms.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:23 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdeserthills View Post
I can assure you that Alcohol, while legal to posess in all states is vastly more dangerous than marijuana. While your friends told you to watch Reefer Madness, they now pity the fact that without using one iota of your own mind, you believed every single frame. I pity You for thinking that you actually know anything. Have you ever researched Any topic? BTW: You clearly are a bit out of date if you believe Booze is currently illegal, as Prohibition ended quite some time ago.
i know Alcohol is legal for some to own. and i would agree that its moor dangerous then marijuana And dont waste your time pitting me

Old 06-23-2010, 12:36 PM   #83
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3582 Times on 1838 Posts
Likes Given: 399

On one hand pot smokers do not tend to get violent. They get "mellow". A drunk is many times more dangerous than a person high on weed. On the other hand, marihuana use does lead to depression. Depression can lead to irrational, sometimes deadly actions.

Many people attracted to "medical marihuana" have no medical condition that would justify (in the least) marihuana use. They are just looking for an excuse to escape and get high. Reality is not attractive to these people. Life is hard, dirty, harsh, cruel and inconvenient. Getting high is a way to temporarily avoid having to deal with life. Life's a bitch, get over it.

Old 06-23-2010, 01:11 PM   #84

Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
On one hand pot smokers do not tend to get violent. They get "mellow". A drunk is many times more dangerous than a person high on weed. On the other hand, marijuana use does lead to depression. Depression can lead to irrational, sometimes deadly actions.

Many people attracted to "medical marijuana" have no medical condition that would justify (in the least) marijuana use. They are just looking for an excuse to escape and get high. Reality is not attractive to these people. Life is hard, dirty, harsh, cruel and inconvenient. Getting high is a way to temporarily avoid having to deal with life. Life's a bitch, get over it.
Thumbs up.

Bottom line for me is I don't want anyone impaired by any substance to have a loaded gun around me. I put this in the same category as driving under the influence - not a wise plan at all...

Old 06-23-2010, 03:40 PM   #85

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Thumbs up.

Bottom line for me is I don't want anyone impaired by any substance to have a loaded gun around me. I put this in the same category as driving under the influence - not a wise plan at all...
Actually, I believe the real bottom line is whether people believe that it is OK to be denied the Right to carry due to that individual's sobriety (drugs or alcohol)- I didn't see anything in The Constitution revoking any individuals rights for Any reason & both alcohol & drugs were readily available at the time our Constitution was created.
And Joshfireart, I don't really pity you, it just fit in there when I was writing, heh heh.

Old 06-23-2010, 05:26 PM   #86
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Me for one, I don't give a rat's a$$ what people do or don't do, as long as it does not get in my way, place me or my family in danger, or cost me money to finance someone else's dysfunctional lifestyle.

I have a big problem with folks that use drugs. They are the customers for the drug cartels that are now making our southern borders unsafe. If there was no demand there would be no supply issues; no cartels, less violence. People who try to justify their drug use by saying it does not harm anyone but themselves are full of BS.

Would decriminalizing pot make the drug cartel violence go away? Probably not as there is still cocaine and heroin. Where do you stop with the legalization? Anything goes - make it all legal? Somehow I do not think that solution would be the best outcome, but who knows. And if you let that genie out of the bottle, can you ever get it back in?

Refer back to my first statement - if it does not harm me or my family, or cost me money; then I do not care. But if legalization of drugs does put me or mine in danger, or costs me financially, then I am absolutely against it.

If society would simply allow those who become useless due to abuse of legalized drugs (including alcohol) to die off from neglect - I'd be fine with that. But the nanny state mentality that seems to be so prevelent amongst the liberals simply won't let that happen, and I'd end up paying more in taxes to support a bunch more drug addled idiots.

Old 06-23-2010, 05:34 PM   #87
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
What about stupid people? Should there be an IQ requirement to buy/own a firearm? What about an age limit; is grandpa really safe with his Mossy? What about a patriotism test? Surely an eye test doesn't seem to extreme. Problem with these is that they aren't in the Constitution either.

It makes me REALLY FREAKIN NERVOUS that certain people i know own & carry firearms for various reasons: meth heads, drunkards, stupid people, careless people, etc. I don't get to make that call in places other than my home & car.

I understand why the idea of people high on marijuana carrying a gun would make most people nervous. Part of it is that most people haven't been around very many potheads & watched them deal with stressful situations to see how/if they can handle themselves when high vs. when sober in the areas of judgement and reaction time & such. Another part is that many people have seen people high on something or drunk do some seriously stupid things with firearms, often on TV or the news. I would be nervous too.

Personally, i think there are more fun, less risky things to play with when stoned & most of the potheads i know seem to agree. I don't remember ever hearing one of my friends put the bong down & ask if we could go target practice. Getting snacks, watching movies, going swimming, playing with a pet, tossing a frisbee, playing some disc golf (light buzz only for most ph's), or chatting up a chick, these are activities that I have seen my friends bring up when stoned. I would think the medical marijuana users would be even less likely to want to play with a firearm when medicated.

End of the day, voluntary sobriety or lack thereof isn't an excuse for doing something stupid with a gun anymore than it excuses poor driving, legally or otherwise.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:21 PM   #88

Liked 1429 Times on 846 Posts
Likes Given: 440

Quote:
Many people attracted to "medical marihuana" have no medical condition that would justify (in the least) marihuana use. They are just looking for an excuse to escape and get high. Reality is not attractive to these people. Life is hard, dirty, harsh, cruel and inconvenient. Getting high is a way to temporarily avoid having to deal with life. Life's a bitch, get over it.
That statement works just as well if you substitute the word alcohol for marijuana.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:41 PM   #89
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3582 Times on 1838 Posts
Likes Given: 399

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
That statement works just as well if you substitute the word alcohol for marijuana.
I can't really argue with that. Except that Alcohol is often times used in moderation. There are a few people that can have A drink and not get drunk. I doubt you can say that about marihuana users. You don't take A puff and quit.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:20 PM   #90
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
You don't take A puff and quit.
That's what the dugout smoking system is for, when you want a buzz, but a functional one. 4 Inch Cocobolo Dugout Especially for the 'head on the go.

Makes you wish they made grips, doesn't it.