Smoke Dope and Carry - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Smoke Dope and Carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2010, 07:00 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
There are two issues here. 1) responsibility of user and 2) Right to keep and bear arms.

Issue 1: This judicial decision has no bearing on the sobriety of an individual carrying a handgun. The issue at hand is whether a person who is a carrier of a medical marijuana license is allowed to be disallowed by their sheriff from being issued a CHL. I don't believe a person under the influence should carry a handgun.

Issue 2: In this shall-issue state, a sheriff should not have the right to curtail the constitutional rights of a resident of Oregon, period!
I don't think most people are disagreeing with the above at all.

Cut and dry as you have it, the answer is NO, it should have NO bearing on the issuance or right to carry.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:59 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by inwadventures View Post
Never had the desire to dope up myself... Always seen mind altering substances as a sign of weakness and inability to deal with reality through other more responsible means.
Do you drink coffee or soda? What about tobacco? Do you exercise, maybe have some sex once in a while? Do you meditate or practice yoga (especially the breathing exercises)? What about skydiving or other exciting sports, participate in them much? Any of these activities can cause the release of large quantities of endorphines, adrenaline, and seratonin. These chemicals produced by YOUR body are the main means by which most drugs make you feel "high".

Of course, since the US public has been predjudiced against cannabis since a smear campaign by the Hearst publishing family and others way back in the day, it is viewed as an incomprehensible boogeyman by many people in this country.

In my opinion what a person eats, how much they exercise, how they dress, or whether they use mind-altering substances like caffeine, alcohol, sex, or marijuana/cannabis doesn't change the U.S. Constitution or the amendments thereto.

Oh well, i think i will go spend some time on the bowflex; i need a good buzz.

edit* Maybe they should stop people who partake in religion from owning or carrying firearms; it seems like many of the murderers called terrorists are acting out of religious fervor, almost like it was clouding their mind.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 06-19-2010 at 08:14 PM.

Old 06-19-2010, 08:09 PM   #23

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Drinking, smoking, prescription drugs, whatever. I don't care if you do any of them while carrying. Thats your right.
Do something stupid while under the influence and you'll have to suffer the consequences of your actions. Your choice and your responsibility

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 06-19-2010, 08:58 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
Do something stupid while under the influence and you'll have to suffer the consequences of your actions. Your choice and your responsibility
Agreed! There are no excuses, IMO.

Old 06-19-2010, 09:12 PM   #25

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Agreed. But it explains a lot about the way you handle yourself and communicate. Hell, if you served in the armed forces, as I have not. Yep, you're better than me!
Im no better than the next guy. So I have done drugs, drank, had sex out of wed-lock. Ive broken a few laws. But Im employed, own my home, 4 cars, have a wife and a daughter.

Im a responsible adult. now.

per the communication. Ive always been an outspoken individual. Never seen any good reason to be anything other.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 06-19-2010, 11:15 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
Do you drink coffee or soda? What about tobacco? Do you exercise, maybe have some sex once in a while? Do you meditate or practice yoga (especially the breathing exercises)? What about skydiving or other exciting sports, participate in them much? Any of these activities can cause the release of large quantities of endorphines, adrenaline, and seratonin. These chemicals produced by YOUR body are the main means by which most drugs make you feel "high".

Of course, since the US public has been predjudiced against cannabis since a smear campaign by the Hearst publishing family and others way back in the day, it is viewed as an incomprehensible boogeyman by many people in this country.

In my opinion what a person eats, how much they exercise, how they dress, or whether they use mind-altering substances like caffeine, alcohol, sex, or marijuana/cannabis doesn't change the U.S. Constitution or the amendments thereto.

Oh well, i think i will go spend some time on the bowflex; i need a good buzz.

edit* Maybe they should stop people who partake in religion from owning or carrying firearms; it seems like many of the murderers called terrorists are acting out of religious fervor, almost like it was clouding their mind.
Spoken like a devoted user or at least the member of the MJ fan club. The world has conspired against you.

Natural activites versus doping up? I don't use mild altering substances but rarely and don't mix them with firearms or explosives. I'm sure my wife would just LOVE IT (dripping with sarcasm) if I told her I wanted to go outside and make love and shoot at whatever moved.

Caffeine.... really? I mean sure it makes people jittery and sometimes agitated, but careless murders? I agree totally that it is mind altering, but to the point of comparing it to alcohol or pot? No.
Alcohol- that's a duh. And not natural. In excess, has been known to lower the inhibitions of even the MOST composed individual. The human body reacting to “fuel” consumed. Cannabis? (the name used by pot heads to avoid the common negative association of MJ or weed or pot) is Foreign to the body therefore not natural. You can argue all day about how it is natural because it grows in your basement or back yard and all you have to do is pick it and eat it or smoke it, but save it for the hippies. Just because it grows on the earth doesn't mean we should eat it or smoke it, nor qualify it as natural to the human body.
These activities such as working out and sex, may cause reactions in the body and use the body's natural chemicals to induce a "high" but they will be nowhere near the "high" caused by a foreign substance. Whether it is an opiate, weed, upper, downer, whatever… Using a foreign substance to induce a high that is beyond the natural "highs" in intensity and enduring longer than natural "highs" is often mind altering to the point of losing control, impaired judgement/reaction time, reduced inhibitions.... blah blah blah... it is not a natural, normal state of being and therefore irresponsible when combined with a firearm or explosives, or vehicle, or whatever. Stay in your chair with your helmet and life jacket and you should be good. When your stupor has worn off and you are back to a "natural" state. Go get your firearm out of its' safe storage place and get on with it. Just don't plan on hanging out with me or other responsible people when you’re in your stupor.

Not targeting you personally, just substance abusers since you brought it up.

Any unnatural* substance that inhibits your ability to think or act rationally should not be mixed with firearms. Period. If you do, there will be consequences and GOD help you if it affects someone else.

You want to mess with your body and mind, go ahead. It is YOUR right. But when you decide to do it and it affects me or my family, then we will have a problem. By all means, dope up, just stay at home while you do it. And hopefully you don’t have anyone depending on you.

Back to working out and hanging with the wife. OOOOOH and I think I might go drink some water…..
)

Won’t even touch the religion comment. Another time perhaps.

"I'm not worried about smart people... just stupid people with tools."

Last edited by RJCXJ; 06-19-2010 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Clarification

Old 06-20-2010, 12:12 AM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Spoken like a devoted user or at least the member of the MJ fan club. The world has conspired against you.
Absolutely a fan, but i'm not aware of anyone conspiring to make me that way of course it has been over 20 years.
Cannabis? (the name used by pot heads to avoid the common negative association of MJ or weed or pot) is Foreign to the body therefore not natural.
Actually, the name Marihuana was a hispanic-originated slang term that was legitimized by the Marihuana Tax Act of 1937. Cannabis is part of the scientific name for the plant (genus i believe).

These activities such as working out and sex, may cause reactions in the body and use the body's natural chemicals to induce a "high" but they will be nowhere near the "high" caused by a foreign substance.
I don't agree. Duration of the "high" is dependant on dosage, of exercise/activity or a drug/herb/chemical. I view it as a different path to approximately the same ends.

Not targeting you personally, just substance abusers since you brought it up.
No problem; i've discussed pot-related issues with many of my friends & others; it doesn't usually bother me in the least. I hope you took no offense to my use of your post in my previous & current quotes.

Any unnatural* substance that inhibits your ability to think or act rationally should not be mixed with firearms.
I agree. I don't make that combination for safety and legal reasons (a blunt found in the car by law enforcement is one thing, but a blunt and a firearm is almost guaranteed trouble).
As far as the herb being "unnatural" because it isn't normally found in the human body, what about ketchup, soy sauce, or coffee? I would get pretty hungry if i only ate things that occur naturally in my body (i don't eat much meat).

My apologies if the "religion" comment bothered anyone. I'm not one to judge people for their religious beliefs, unless they involve explosives or similarly dangerous stuff.

Last edited by orangello; 06-20-2010 at 12:26 AM.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:35 AM   #28

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
As far as the herb being "unnatural" because it isn't normally found in the human body, what about ketchup, soy sauce, or coffee? I would get pretty hungry if i only ate things that occur naturally in my body (i don't eat much meat).
Ironically.... not a fan of any of the above really.... Ketchup is mostly sugar and if needed... you're not eating that quality of food....

Soy sauce, while GREAT for marinating is not the best thing for men to consume not just from a sodium standpoint but the estrogen producing sideaffects...
Coffee just makes me feel like crap. And then I don't sleep well.... so I leave that alone. Perhaps I am a personal control freak! HA!

Any unnatural* substance that inhibits your ability to think or act rationally should not be mixed with firearms.
Quote:
I agree. I don't make that combination for safety and legal reasons (a blunt found in the car by law enforcement is one thing, but a blunt and a firearm is almost guaranteed trouble).
That statement right there means we agree on what is important. The rest we can argue about while sitting around a campfire and googling crap on our phones! HA!

Had a few near death experiences associated with users of alcohol and MJ in addition to not being able to rely on MOST those people that consume or use in excess*. (varies from person to person) So I tend to not keep too many extreme substance abusers in my company.

Last edited by RJCXJ; 06-20-2010 at 01:00 AM. Reason: grammar

Old 06-20-2010, 12:44 AM   #29

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Any unnatural* substance that inhibits your ability to think or act rationally should not be mixed with firearms. Period. If you do, there will be consequences and GOD help you if it affects someone else.
Sex affects my ability to think or act

Ill be damned if they outlaw that!

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 06-20-2010, 12:58 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
Sex affects my ability to think or act

Ill be damned if they outlaw that!
For real... Temporary Bans are hard enough.... aka wife had a baby!