Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Smoke Dope and Carry

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2010, 02:37 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Smoke Dope and Carry

Saw this while skimming through the news it caught me off-guard and gave me a quick laugh.

Oregon court: Handgun permit OK with medical pot
(AP) – 1 day ago

MEDFORD, Ore. — The Oregon Court of Appeals has ruled that a medical marijuana patient can have a concealed handgun permit.

The court on Wednesday said Jackson County Sheriff Mike Winters had no grounds to deny the permit sought by Cynthia Willis in 2008.

Winters had argued the federal Gun Control Act of 1968 was the legal basis of his decision.

The Court of Appeals rejected the sheriff's arguments and found that Willis complied with state law in her application.

Portland attorney Leland Berger, who represents Willis and three others who were denied permits, called the ruling a victory for marijuana cardholders around the state.

Information from: Mail Tribune, Mailtribune.com - News for Medford, Ashland, Jacksonville and Southern Oregon

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-19-2010, 03:35 AM   #2

Liked 1761 Times on 982 Posts
Likes Given: 1158

Uh, I thinks that's just wrong. Potheads and gun? Whats next? Drunks and guns?

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 06-19-2010, 03:58 AM   #3

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

While I do thing that marijuana can be used in the medical field I just don't think they are taking that as serious as they want people to believe. If it's all about getting a case of the happys then it's not a medical reason and that impairment might not be all that good an idea. But they allow people on perscription meds to have a CCW in many states so the argument can be made that the frames of mind within both prescription meds and medical marijuana are not any different. It's that reason I am somewhat on the fence... for the time being.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-19-2010, 04:25 AM   #4

I guess I am thinking of the people I have seen around here. Colorado recently started allowing medical marijuana. The people I have seen hanging around these "Dispensaries" are exactly what I expected to see. There is no way all those young people with the crazy piercings and vulgar tatoos have glaucoma. I am not talking about common tattoos. These people have tattoos on their faces, stuff like that. There are even people that have had their faces altered to look like animals and crazy stuff like that. It's definately not the people you see standing in line at the pharmacy.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 06-19-2010, 04:52 AM   #5

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
Uh, I thinks that's just wrong. Potheads and gun? Whats next? Drunks and guns?
judging by your name, i find it very hard te think that a man of your age was never a doper. I had to quit in 1999 due to medical reasons. I smoked more weed than an ex alkie does cigs. I guarrandamntee, pot smokers are no more of a risk than coffee drinkers. Im no proponent for the legalization of dope, but COME ON!

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 06-19-2010, 05:07 AM   #6

Well, that is not an issue in Colorado.

CRS 18-12-203 (1) (f)
" Is not an unlawful user of or addicted to a controlled substance as defined in section 18-18-102 (5).
Whether an applicant is an unlawful user of or addicted to a controlled substance shall be determined as provided in federal law and regulations."
(emphasis by Pat-inCO)

There is NO "medical MJ" in federal laws.

BN-Life - NRA
- NRA Certified Instructor -
I'm not worried about terrorism, I was married, TWICE!

Old 06-19-2010, 04:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
judging by your name, i find it very hard te think that a man of your age was never a doper. I had to quit in 1999 due to medical reasons. I smoked more weed than an ex alkie does cigs. I guarrandamntee, pot smokers are no more of a risk than coffee drinkers. Im no proponent for the legalization of dope, but COME ON!
You are sadly mistaken. Aside from one stupid mistake as a teenager I have never been a user. I went into the army at 17. That is where I learned that sharp reflexes can save your life. Praise God, I have never seen battle. But if I had, I would not have been one of the fools that was always walking around high!

Old 06-19-2010, 04:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by willfully armed View Post
This explains a lot.....

While I do not respect people that abuse substances of any kind, (including caffeine addictions although not nearly as foolish and irresponsible as MJ), I cannot in good conscience imagine separating a "legal" medical MJ user from that of an opiate user or even someone on antidepressants.

HOWEVER, I am all for the illegalization of consuming or using mind-altering medications and being in possession of a firearm. Just like getting hammered and not driving. Or taking opiates for pain during recovering and not driving. Not a good idea and your impairment can cost lives.

As long as the law allows for severe prosection of morons getting high and using or CARRYING their firearms directly on them, I don't have an issue with it.

Old 06-19-2010, 04:35 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Carrying sober....rediculous!! What is this world coming to.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 06-19-2010, 04:35 PM   #10

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
You are sadly mistaken. Aside from one stupid mistake as a teenager I have never been a user. I went into the army at 17. That is where I learned that sharp reflexes can save your life. Praise God, I have never seen battle. But if I had, I would not have been one of the fools that was always walking around high!
Hats off to you for taking the "high" road. Never had the desire to dope up myself... Always seen mind altering substances as a sign of weakness and inability to deal with reality through other more responsible means.