Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Sign the repeal to the hughes amendment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2011, 09:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Post Sign the repeal to the hughes amendment

Hey all, I'm from another popular firearms board, I'd just like you guys to know about a petition on whitehouse.gov to repeal the hughes amendment(which was never correctly and legally passed to begin with). so far we only have a few votes but hopefully we can reach 5,000 by the end of this month.

https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petitions/%21/petition/push-congress-repeal-hughes-amendment-fopa-and-nfa/FWXhjh9s

Sign it, send it to your friends, do whatever you can to get as many people to sign it. I know it's a long shot but what the hell, why not? it will only take a few seconds of your time.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-06-2011, 09:51 PM   #2
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

For reference for any who may not be familiar with this:

Quote:
As debate for FOPA was in its final stages in the House before moving on to the Senate, Rep. William J. Hughes (D-N.J.) proposed several amendments including House Amendment 777 to H.R. 4332 [4] that would ban a civilian from ownership or transfer rights of any fully automatic weapon which was not registered as of May 19, 1986. The amendment also held that any such weapon manufactured and registered before the May 19 cutoff date could still be legally owned and transferred by civilians.

In the morning hours of April 10, 1986, the House held recorded votes on three amendments to FOPA in Record Vote No's 72, 73, and 74. Recorded Vote 72 was on H.AMDT. 776, an amendment to H.AMDT 770 involving the interstate sale of handguns; while Recorded Vote 74 was on H.AMDT 770, involving primarily the easing of interstate sales and the safe passage provision. Recorded Vote 74 was the controversial Hughes Amendment that called for the banning of machine guns. Rep. Charles Rangel (D-N.Y.), at the time presiding as Chairman over the proceedings, claimed that the "amendment in the nature of a substitute, as amended, was agreed to." However, after the voice vote on the Hughes Amendment, Rep. Charles Rangel (D-N.Y.) ignored a plea to take a recorded vote and moved on to Recorded Vote 74 where the Hughes Amendment failed.[5][6] The bill, H.R. 4332, as a whole passed in Record Vote No: 75 on a motion to recommit. Despite the controversial amendment, the Senate, in S.B. 49, adopted H.R. 4332 as an amendment to the final bill. The bill was subsequently passed and signed on May 19, 1986 by President Ronald Reagan to become Public Law 99-308, the Firearms Owners' Protection Act.
I added my signature.

OK, check that. I'm trying to add my name to the list, but when you sign up on whitehouse.gov you're supposed to get an email, click on a link in that email, and then you can do stuff like fill out petitions. I haven't received my email yet. When/if I do, I'll sign the petition.

Last edited by bkt; 10-06-2011 at 09:58 PM.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
I added my signature.
Thanks. every vote counts.

also, here is the video of the bill "passing"

Old 10-06-2011, 10:14 PM   #4
bkt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flooganbargan View Post
Thanks. every vote counts.
That's a premature thank-you. I'm still waiting for my confirmation email but it hasn't shown up yet. This seems like an unusual delay. Like I said, if and when I get my confirmation for my account, I'll sign it.

You came here in the hopes like-minded folks would sign this petition. Most here probably will. But do us a favor and take a look around and hit the intro section and tell us about yourself. Hopefully, you'll add this forum to your list of daily must-visits.

Old 10-06-2011, 10:25 PM   #5
bkt

OK, it's signed.

Old 10-09-2011, 07:02 PM   #6
bkt

*bump*

C'mon, folks.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:48 PM   #7

Liked 37 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I hate to say this, but giving THIS White House any personal info, could be a hazard to your health. This is a second one, the first was to hire more ATF agents to reduce transfer times. Just doesn't sound kosher to me.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:56 PM   #8
bkt

Quote:
Originally Posted by anm2_man View Post
I hate to say this, but giving THIS White House any personal info, could be a hazard to your health. This is a second one, the first was to hire more ATF agents to reduce transfer times. Just doesn't sound kosher to me.

I had the same thought. Then I figured if signing this will get me on a list, I must already be on several.

Old 10-11-2011, 09:31 PM   #9
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6559 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

I'm probably already on some list so I signed it. only 4500 more to go.