Shouldn't the second amendment be our carry permit - Page 8
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Shouldn't the second amendment be our carry permit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2012, 04:42 PM   #71
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2514 Times on 1433 Posts
Likes Given: 1962

What I find dismaying, (but veerrry interesting) is that

legislators almost never initiate laws which will curb.

violent offenders, or misuse of weapons. They always

go after LACs and curtailing our gun liberties.

Obviously, monitoring of disturbed, and violent people in modern

society has merit. But nobody wants to further legislation

which will help science detect, watch, and control disturbed people. Yet every

police force in existence wants to confiscate all LAC's guns.

One must ultimately wonder why? IMO, it gives LE a great way

to justify it's budget, when crime rates are high.

But why, oh why, are legislators dragging their heels?

Last edited by therewolf; 09-16-2012 at 04:46 PM.

Old 09-17-2012, 08:45 AM   #72
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
What I find dismaying, (but veerrry interesting) is that

legislators almost never initiate laws which will curb.

violent offenders, or misuse of weapons. They always

go after LACs and curtailing our gun liberties.

Obviously, monitoring of disturbed, and violent people in modern

society has merit. But nobody wants to further legislation

which will help science detect, watch, and control disturbed people. Yet every

police force in existence wants to confiscate all LAC's guns.

One must ultimately wonder why? IMO, it gives LE a great way

to justify it's budget, when crime rates are high.

But why, oh why, are legislators dragging their heels?
You may be onto something. Yes, it justifies levying higher taxes to pay for law enforcement, but also the prison system (an ENORMOUS economy unto itself), judges, and the myriad bureaucrats who work in all these systems.

But coddling criminals who should be hanged also twists our culture and normalizes gang activity into being something almost acceptable. A culture that cannot recognize that evil should be punished and good should be left to thrive is doomed: we cannot have a society of free people if they cannot govern themselves. We invite the heavy hand of government to step in and govern us in ways we should be able to control ourselves. That gives the government more power and creates a very large class of Americans who are dependent on the government.

And that's precisely where we are today.

Old 09-17-2012, 09:23 AM   #73
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6175 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 6554

Citizens scream, Lawmakers react and enforcers do the job they were hired to do. In the last 30 years there's been an awful lot of screaming, a fair amount of law writing and Leo's are scooping up the offenders like ants.

Evil is easy to recognize and hard to stop. It looks like anything we dont agree with and prosecuting it is very expensive. Our prisons are so full of evil people that there is no room at the crowbar Inn for more.

Time to stop looking for a perfect Union and start accepting a "More Perfect Union" like the founders described. We send non violent crooks to jail to learn from folks with much more criminal experience than they have to begin with then wonder why they re-offend.

We have become more acceptant of the fact that Prison is not for rehab, its just a place society keeps our bad eggs while we punish them. Few people with a non-violent history have a chance in hell of redeeming themselves behind bars, most transition to harder crime after doing time with the bad-boys.

Rockefeller Laws in New York have filled our prisons with Vice criminals of every size, shape and color, mostly dark, very few start their life of crime as violent offenders, most become so after a long stay in Prison. They havent made NY any safer, actually, all they have done is bankrupted the state! Crooks, Lawmakers and LEO's have no good reason to try to re-allign or change things, its really about the money and all have more to gain from more laws than they have to gain from less.

If we dont watch ourselves, most of us wont have the right to bear arms not because of our actions, because of stupid laws intended to make America Perfect.

Old 09-17-2012, 07:26 PM   #74

Liked 2514 Times on 1433 Posts
Likes Given: 1962

Another part of the criminal equation is the glorification of criminality.

Criminals are considered cool and preferable, in our counter-culture.

They wouldn't thrive so easily, if we treated them like the scum they are.

If they knew they would have pariah status, they would not become

criminals, in the first place...

As to the topic, while I agree, I follow all my states laws, and have

a CWP. I would not buck the system, become a criminal, and lose

my CWP, simply because the 2A isn't properly enforced nationwide...

Old 09-17-2012, 07:40 PM   #75

Liked 26 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 18

It's funny (funny strange, not funny haha) how some are so surprised when a person returns to crime after he's served a prison sentence. People sit in their white-collar worlds and for the life of them just can't seem to understand why people can't just go back into society and follow the rules. They don't understand that the rules are vastly different for a convicted felon.

I cannot imagine the challenges an ex-convict (non-violent) faces, when released, in trying to get honest decent paying work. I had to deal with the job market with a Class B misdemeanor arrest (no conviction mind you) on my record and you'd have thought I was going into job interviews wearing a turban with a beard down to my navel waving an AK, with a vest full of dynamite strapped to me, screaming "death to the infidels".

Old 09-17-2012, 07:59 PM   #76

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

Quote:
Originally Posted by cswann1 View Post
It's funny (funny strange, not funny haha) how some are so surprised when a person returns to crime after he's served a prison sentence. People sit in their white-collar worlds and for the life of them just can't seem to understand why people can't just go back into society and follow the rules. They don't understand that the rules are vastly different for a convicted felon.

I cannot imagine the challenges an ex-convict (non-violent) faces, when released, in trying to get honest decent paying work. I had to deal with the job market with a Class B misdemeanor arrest (no conviction mind you) on my record and you'd have thought I was going into job interviews wearing a turban with a beard down to my navel waving an AK, with a vest full of dynamite strapped to me, screaming "death to the infidels".
Perhaps i'm just a heartless and cold dick head for thinking this way, but

Quote:
I cannot imagine the challenges an ex-convict (non-violent) faces, when released, in trying to get honest decent paying work.
Who cares what they have to go through?

They knew the ramifications of their actions BEFORE they committed them. It wasn't a surprise...no clown jumped out of the closet and went "HEY HEY HEY! You're going to prison!"

If we make it easy on them, then what is the incentive to not commit a crime? Do something, spend a few years in the slammer, then back to life as normal?

I'll pass on that concept.

Without revealing too much, i'll tell you that someone who is very close to me once went to prison for dealing/abusing drugs. I repeatedly told this person, over many many years, where she would end up if continuing down that path, then, one day, it happened.

3 long years locked up. But ya know what? It changed her for the better. Sure, she had to put up with a lot of red tape that she referred to as "bull ****" but that's the price you pay when you cross that line.

Now? Now she has a nice paying job at a nice long established company that full well knows what her past consists of, but she put in the work to make things right, and didn't deter to more crime.

Criminals are not a product of a strict society, they are a product of bad parenting and a pseudo caring society that goes easy on repeat offenders.

If you could be executed for killing someone in a DUI accident, like in many other country's, i'll bet you a lot more people would think twice about getting behind the wheel drunk.

If murderers were regarded equally as vile as pedophiles in this country, i'll bet you there'd be a lot less murder.

Last edited by PrimePorkchop; 09-17-2012 at 08:01 PM.
People Like This 
Old 09-18-2012, 04:53 AM   #77

Liked 643 Times on 398 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Quote:
I cannot imagine the challenges an ex-convict (non-violent) faces, when released, in trying to get honest decent paying work.
Actually, around here because of state legislation the companies get some relief for hiring felons. It is harder around here to get a job if you have a misdemeanor conviction with no jail time than it is if you are a felon.

“Every person's life is theirs by right. An individual's life can and must belong only to to himself, not to any society or community, or he is then but a slave.”

“If you are unwilling to defend your right to your own lives, then you are merely like mice trying to argue with owls. You think their ways are wrong. They think you are dinner.”

“Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent."

“Not everyone is willing to embrace liberty; liberty requires not just effort, but risk. Some people choose to delude themselves and see their chains as protective armor.”

Old 09-18-2012, 05:35 AM   #78
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimePorkchop View Post

Criminals are not a product of a strict society, they are a product of bad parenting and a pseudo caring society that goes easy on repeat offenders.

Nail on the head. Kudos for leading your friend from the brink. THATS what it takes, people taking care of each other. We have enough of that and we won't need the government to run our lives.

Pure liberty comes from pure responsibility.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson