Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Should I register my gun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2012, 10:16 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 88 Times on 56 Posts

You let them. Good one.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

Old 02-25-2012, 12:45 PM   #12

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

That sounds like a warranty card from the company. I would send that in. I'm glad I don't have to register my gun. Although that may be around the corner here in il.

Remington 870 12 Ga. Supermag
Springfield XDS .45acp

Old 02-25-2012, 12:45 PM   #13
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger-6 View Post
If someone tries to steal your guns, you have a registration.
No, I have photos of the firearms with S/N recorded and logged with my insurance company. I don't register them with the local government to establish proof of ownership.

Old 02-25-2012, 12:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post
No, I have photos of the firearms with S/N recorded and logged with my insurance company. I don't register them with the local government to establish proof of ownership.
ditto. i actually etch in my own in some part where i know no regular jackass would look to sand one off.

Old 02-25-2012, 01:00 PM   #15

Liked 1416 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

You just did by posting your question on a public forum.

The bell has been rung.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 02-25-2012, 06:11 PM   #16

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Hi all,
I have a question but please consider this post as a question from a foreigner, not an attempt for a flame or demeaning the USA. I just want to understand
My question is: without registration how do you avoid convicted criminals or mentally ill to buy a firearm?
Do you file papers so that authorities will check your background and once cleared you can buy any firearms which is legal to posses in your State? So you dont register the particular firearm but have a general permit. Is this correct?
Is this true also for people who are not citizens of the USA but are legally living in the country?
I tried some searches but actually my ideas are more confused now than before

Kind regards

Old 02-25-2012, 06:29 PM   #17
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6559 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

^

Some states require a permit to purchase a firearm, most just do a general background check when you buy the gun from a store. If you are mentally ill (and have been admitted to a hospital), or have a felony, it will most likely show up on a background check. Hope that anwers your question.

I'm not sure about non-citizens.

Last edited by texaswoodworker; 02-25-2012 at 06:33 PM.

Old 02-25-2012, 07:08 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by _winer_ View Post
Hi all,
I have a question but please consider this post as a question from a foreigner, not an attempt for a flame or demeaning the USA. I just want to understand
My question is: without registration how do you avoid convicted criminals or mentally ill to buy a firearm?

Kind regards
you dont friend, its the dark truth but the violent will find ways to be violent and in the US case, guns have been around for a long, long time. even if all we were aloud to have was muskets there would be some wack job in a mall frantically trying to load powder down a barrel.

One would hope that a background check and general common sense would prevail over the criminal or insane from purchasing a weapon, but even the gun shop owners break the law by not fully researching and not giving a damn when they guy asks if the gun hes purchasing comes with a holster for his imaginary friend.

we, the level headed, wish not for our firearms to be registered for obvious cases lest we be categorized as part of the whole "gun problem." the only thing that will come from registration is making us much like you poor bastards in England. Last time we were subjects, we didnt enjoy that sh*t too much.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:32 PM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8448 Times on 3666 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

Hello Winer! Here in the US, there are two sets of laws- one, the National or Federal govt, regulates transfer of ownership of firearms that move from one state to another, regulates manufacture, and being in the business of buying and selling guns.

The other is State law, set by each of the 50 states. Those laws vary depending on the state, but may not be LESS stringent than Federal law.

From a Federal stand, at the time of purchase from a dealer, a background check is conducted on the buyer to determine if he is a "prohibited person"- a felon, fugitive, mental case, etc.

SOME states require that you have a permit to purchase or to possess firearms. MOST do not. A few states require certain guns sales to always involve a dealer- most permit sale by a private citizen to another directly if they both reside in same state, and seller does not have cause to believe buyer is a "prohibited person".

A non-US citizen MAY legally purchase a firearm in the US- IF they are here legally. A non-resident alien may purchase a gun under some circumstances (have a hunting license, want to go hunting, assigned to Embassy staff, etc) A resident alien (such as my British wife) is treated same as a US citizen.

Is it possible to illegally obtain a firearm? Yes. Umm- that is true here AND wherever you are. Criminals break laws. That is why they are called criminals. However, if caught with a gun and you are a prohibited person, you face minimum of 5 years in a Federal prison, no probation, no parole.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 02-26-2012, 10:13 AM   #20

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Thank you all for taking the time to explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
From a Federal stand, at the time of purchase from a dealer, a background check is conducted on the buyer to determine if he is a "prohibited person"- a felon, fugitive, mental case, etc.
Doesn't this equal a registration with the authorities? I mean they have the name of the buyer, of the dealer and (i suppose) the firearm he's willing to buy.

Quote:
A non-US citizen MAY legally purchase a firearm in the US- IF they are here legally. A non-resident alien may purchase a gun under some circumstances (have a hunting license, want to go hunting, assigned to Embassy staff, etc) A resident alien (such as my British wife) is treated same as a US citizen.
Sounds good!!

Quote:
Is it possible to illegally obtain a firearm? Yes. Umm- that is true here AND wherever you are. Criminals break laws. That is why they are called criminals. However, if caught with a gun and you are a prohibited person, you face minimum of 5 years in a Federal prison, no probation, no parole.
So true. You would laugh if you knew the amount of papers we must provide in order to buy even a simple single shot 4.5mm air rifle more powerful than 7,5 joules!
Yet the criminals have not a problem in finding guns. Lots of them flowing in from eastern Europe. Furthermore many guns get stolen from houses and private guards. Investigations showed that criminal dealers do have possession of the lists of legitimate gun owners. It really doesn't take much imagination to guess how they got that.
Oh and around here if a convicted criminal is found with guns he gets a severe reprimand from the judge, a motivational speech on changing his life, a cookie and an out-of-jail ticket. More or less...

Kind regards