Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Should I register my gun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2012, 08:25 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Should I register my gun?

Ok guys, sorry for the newbie question. I bought my first handgun at the beginning of this month. I haven't registered it yet, nor do I have to in my state. My question is, should I even bother registering it? Would like to hear your thoughts on this.

Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-24-2012, 08:28 PM   #2

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Hell No!!! no need all that does is let the government know u have it. It's your right, only thing will ever come of it is A. cost you money B. if and when they make guns illeagal they know you have that one to come take.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:31 PM   #3
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6542 Times on 3633 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Not only no, but hell no. Do not register it unless required to do so by law. No body needs to know you have it, plus if they ever ban whatever kind of hand gun you have, they will know where to get it. (look up Hitlers gun registery, that is only one of the cases that this has happened, there are thousands more)

Oh, and welcome to FTF. If you haven't already, stop by the introductions forum and introduce yourself.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:35 PM   #4
Deader Bears=Better Bears
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5654 Times on 3323 Posts
Likes Given: 4773

Who would you register it with, if registration is not required in your state?
I guess you could go pay an FFL a "transfer fee" to put it on his books and then take it off his books again. That wouldn't really "register" it but would attach your name to it via the FFL's bound book.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Old 02-24-2012, 08:51 PM   #5

Thanks for the quick replies. I have the registration card that came with the gun (Ruger). The reason I ask about registration is I haven't researched enough yet to know whether or not it has to be registered should I ever decide to sell it. I don't have any intention of doing so right now, obviously, I just got it, but maybe later on down the road. I have a lot to learn in regards to the gun laws in my state. I've been reading and researching as much as I can. It's great to have places like this forum. Very insightful and educational.

Thanks again guys.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:56 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkace4 View Post
Thanks for the quick replies. I have the registration card that came with the gun (Ruger). The reason I ask about registration is I haven't researched enough yet to know whether or not it has to be registered should I ever decide to sell it. I don't have any intention of doing so right now, obviously, I just got it, but maybe later on down the road. I have a lot to learn in regards to the gun laws in my state. I've been reading and researching as much as I can. It's great to have places like this forum. Very insightful and educational.

Thanks again guys.
That Ruger registration card is usually referring to the warranty. However, if the gov't decided to make that particular gun illegal, I wouldn't be surprised if they tapped manufacturers records for that stuff.

Old 02-24-2012, 09:34 PM   #7
Deader Bears=Better Bears
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5654 Times on 3323 Posts
Likes Given: 4773

OH, you meant "should i send in the warranty card on my new firearm". That is a bit different.

Google "gun registration" and you will understand why most rational firearms owners would not support "registration" of firearms as was carried out by the Nazi party and certain less firearms-friendly states of the U.S.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.
GANDER MOUNTAIN OF HATTIESBURG, MS IS OVERPRICED, HAS LOUSY CUSTOMER SERVICE, & SELLS BEAT UP PISTOLS TO LITTLE OLD LADIES AS "NEW". :p

Old 02-24-2012, 10:14 PM   #8
bkt

Liked 1302 Times on 661 Posts
Likes Given: 151

If you are legally not obliged to register it, why is there a means by which you could register it? That makes no sense.

If, by law, you should register it then please do so.

Old 02-25-2012, 09:30 AM   #9
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2277 Times on 1362 Posts
Likes Given: 1063

In other words, check the laws of your state (or country if overseas).

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 02-25-2012, 09:56 AM   #10

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 67

If someone tries to steal your identity, you have a birth certificate.
If someone tries to steal your house, you have a deed.
If someone tries to steal your car, you have a title.
If someone tries to steal your money, you have a bank account number.
If someone tries to steal your guns, you have a registration.

If someone tries to steal your woman, you let them...