Shooting incidents in Detroit
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Shooting incidents in Detroit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2010, 06:15 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Shooting incidents in Detroit

A few weeks ago, a man was robbed with what turned out to be a fake gun. He was a CPL holder. After the robbery, as the robber was escaping, the 65 year old CPL holder chased after him and started shooting. The robber was not hit, but one of the bullets he fired went through a house and hit an elderly woman and killed her. The robber was later caught by police and charged with the womans killing. However, they were also considering charging the CPL holder with her death.

In another incident here, a man caught another man breaking into his garage. He was a CPL holder as well and chased the man off his property. But he continued chasing the man even after he was off the property for i think a half block. He then shot the man and killed him. He was charged with 2nd degree murder.

Do you think any of these CPL holders should be charged with a crime? Why or why not?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-10-2010, 06:27 PM   #2

I agree with both for pulling their firearms but not chasing/shooting the Perps.

Shoot to stop harm to yourself or others but not for revenge.

Just my $.02.

"True Happiness is a warm .357,.45 ACP,.38 Special,.410 or a 12 gauge & a cold Sun Drop." ME

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. "
(Benjamin Franklin)

'God made man and woman; Colonel Colt made them equal'." (Ann Coulter)

" Praise The Lord but Polly pass the Ammo"( Unknown)

"The 1st one through the door gets the copper coated candy." ( Andy the gunshop owner from "Dawn of the Dead")

Old 06-10-2010, 06:45 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I agree in protecting yourself, others and your property but with the limited information you've given here neither of these men were in danger and should not have fired their weapons.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 06-10-2010, 07:05 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

First off, how are there two people involved in shootings IN DETROIT who have carry licenses?!?!

I thought that was a VERY tough city to get a permit in.

If the information given is correct, both men should be charged as neither of them took the responsibility for what the CCW License is really for.

This Permit/License is not for "Street Justice". Once you start chasing someone, especially a person that is no longer on your property, you pretty much lose any right to claim "Life Endangerment" and thus you will be promptly screwed in the eyes of the law.

There is no doubt that emotions carry sway and none of us can say what we would or would not be able to do - but facts are facts.

If you carry a weapon, you have a responsibility to carry it for the right reasons and to exercise restraint.

In these examples, it would appear that was not the case.

JD

Old 06-10-2010, 07:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
First off, how are there two people involved in shootings IN DETROIT who have carry licenses?!?!

I thought that was a VERY tough city to get a permit in.

JD
Michigan is a shall issue state. I think it used to be a may issue before 2001.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by clip11
Do you think any of these CPL holders should be charged with a crime?
Yes to both and for the same reason. A Concealed Carry permit allows you to carry, not to think yourself a non sworn officer. You are allowed to draw your weapon and use it if there is real danger to life and limb, NOT once the perp has turned and run away.

Once the BG turns and tries to leave, the danger has ceased. So has your legal right to use a firearm for self defense for that incident.

BN-Life - NRA
- NRA Certified Instructor -
I'm not worried about terrorism, I was married, TWICE!

Old 06-10-2010, 09:51 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8850 Times on 3832 Posts
Likes Given: 1379

Even a police officer has sharp limits on circumstances where he is justified in shooting someone. Nothing on the cases mentioned makes it sound like a good shooting. Along with the RIGHT to carry is the RESPONSIBILTY to act like a grownup.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:59 PM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I would like to see sources for this,it sounds like something the antis would put out showing how evil cc is.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:55 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

The police get paid to chase the bad guys; my vote would be to let them do the chasing.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:12 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by divinginn View Post
I would like to see sources for this,it sounds like something the antis would put out showing how evil cc is.
Detroit woman killed by carjacking victim's stray bullet | detnews.com | The Detroit News This is for the second incident when it first happened.

Detroit Man Shoots and Kills Burglar; Gets Charged with Manslaughter This is the first story.
http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/22089705/detail.html

The incident in which the woman was killed happened around the corner from where I stay at.

Last edited by clip11; 06-10-2010 at 11:30 PM.