Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Shipping to manufacturer for repair

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2011, 09:09 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Shipping to manufacturer for repair

I've been doing a little research online about shipping to manufacturer for repair and it looks like it's perfectly legal. I live in Texas and need to send it to Taurus for repairs. I plan on taking it to FedEx to ship. Can you guys from Texas concur that this is perfectly legal. And does it have to be a FedEX world center or can it be through an authorized FedEX ship center. Thanks. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-03-2011, 09:13 PM   #2
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6744 Times on 4074 Posts
Likes Given: 8041

I would call FedEx and ask them how to properly ship guns.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:49 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yes, it has to be an official FedEx depot. If you are shipping a long gun, it is legal to mail it via the USPS.

Regards,

Walt

Author, The NEW! AR-15 Complete Owner's Guide,
The M1911 Complete Owner's and Assembly Guides,
The M14
and M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guides
Certified Glock Armorer

Old 08-03-2011, 10:06 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8385 Times on 3628 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Perfectly legal to ship TO a FFL holder (and a Manufacturer IS a FFL holder) AND for them to return a repaired weapon (or like kind) directly to you. As said, you can mail a long gun. You will need to go to a FedEx hub if using Fedex, not a storefront.

Here is the law- from Title 18, US Code, Section 922:

It shall be unlawful-

(2) for any importer, manufacturer, dealer, or collector licensed under the provisions of this chapter to ship or transport in interstate or foreign commerce any firearm to any person other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, except that—
(A) this paragraph and subsection (b)(3) shall not be held to preclude a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector from returning a firearm or replacement firearm of the same kind and type to a person from whom it was received; and this paragraph shall not be held to preclude an individual from mailing a firearm owned in compliance with Federal, State, and local law to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:43 PM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Another option would be to take your firearm to your local gun shop and have him/her send it for you. But as c3 has stated it is perfectly legal for you to do it yourself.

Rigjumpr
Texas CHL Instructor, NRA Handgun Instructor,
Owner Operator- DefenderTX Concealed Handgun training
“American by birth Texan by the grace of God”
“Molon labe”
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151001455519?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p39 84.m1555.l2649

Old 08-06-2011, 10:18 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thanks for the responses guys. I ended up taking it back to the shop I bought to have it sent out after calling FedEx and having the guy on the phone tell me I had to have a FFL to send it.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:12 PM   #7

Yeah, UPS and FedEx employees are just uninformed. I shipped a couple of pistols off to have them refinished and was told that I had to disassemble them before shipping. I asked him if he meant field-stripped or complete dis-assembly and his answer was "Uhhhh, whatever means they're not put together." So I just got the refinisher (who has an FFL) to send me a label that I affixed to the box and then I just dropped them in a drop box.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1931 – 2005

Old 08-06-2011, 10:49 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8385 Times on 3628 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

When shipping a firearm- US Mail, UPS, or FedEx- expect to find the missing link when dealing with employees. Be pleasantly surprised if you encounter one that DOES know their stuff.

There is NO requirement either in law, postal regs, or the tarriffs of FedEx and UPS that a firearm be sent FROM a FFL (when crossing state line, transfer of ownership, it must go TO a FFL. Exception for handguns going INTO NY State- they must be shipped BY an 01 FFL- Dealer. State law).

Likewise there is NO requirement that a firearm be "disassembled"- although I usually pull the action from the stock for a long gun, wrap them separately- fewer broken stocks that way.

Serious suggestion- assume that you will encounter someone that does not know their own regs. You can access the Domestic Mail Manual on line (when mailing rifles or shotguns by US Mail- only 01 Dealers and Manufacturers can MAIL handguns) and you can access the tariffs for UPS and FedEx (rifles and shotguns- go cheap. Handguns they require be sent Next day Air) PRINT the relative portion. Put it in your pocket. When you encounter an employee that tells you "you can't", say the magic words-

"May I please see your supervisor? Your regulations (place on counter) says that I can."

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.