Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Shipping to manufacturer for repair (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/shipping-manufacturer-repair-46214/)

RNstanger 08-03-2011 09:09 PM

Shipping to manufacturer for repair

I've been doing a little research online about shipping to manufacturer for repair and it looks like it's perfectly legal. I live in Texas and need to send it to Taurus for repairs. I plan on taking it to FedEx to ship. Can you guys from Texas concur that this is perfectly legal. And does it have to be a FedEX world center or can it be through an authorized FedEX ship center. Thanks. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum

winds-of-change 08-03-2011 09:13 PM

I would call FedEx and ask them how to properly ship guns.

wjkuleck 08-03-2011 09:49 PM

Yes, it has to be an official FedEx depot. If you are shipping a long gun, it is legal to mail it via the USPS.

Regards,

Walt

c3shooter 08-03-2011 10:06 PM

Perfectly legal to ship TO a FFL holder (and a Manufacturer IS a FFL holder) AND for them to return a repaired weapon (or like kind) directly to you. As said, you can mail a long gun. You will need to go to a FedEx hub if using Fedex, not a storefront.

Here is the law- from Title 18, US Code, Section 922:

It shall be unlawful-

(2) for any importer, manufacturer, dealer, or collector licensed under the provisions of this chapter to ship or transport in interstate or foreign commerce any firearm to any person other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, except tható
(A) this paragraph and subsection (b)(3) shall not be held to preclude a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector from returning a firearm or replacement firearm of the same kind and type to a person from whom it was received; and this paragraph shall not be held to preclude an individual from mailing a firearm owned in compliance with Federal, State, and local law to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector

rigjumpr 08-03-2011 10:43 PM

Another option would be to take your firearm to your local gun shop and have him/her send it for you. But as c3 has stated it is perfectly legal for you to do it yourself.

RNstanger 08-06-2011 10:18 AM

Thanks for the responses guys. I ended up taking it back to the shop I bought to have it sent out after calling FedEx and having the guy on the phone tell me I had to have a FFL to send it.

Thadeuce 08-06-2011 09:12 PM

Yeah, UPS and FedEx employees are just uninformed. I shipped a couple of pistols off to have them refinished and was told that I had to disassemble them before shipping. I asked him if he meant field-stripped or complete dis-assembly and his answer was "Uhhhh, whatever means they're not put together." So I just got the refinisher (who has an FFL) to send me a label that I affixed to the box and then I just dropped them in a drop box.

c3shooter 08-06-2011 10:49 PM

When shipping a firearm- US Mail, UPS, or FedEx- expect to find the missing link when dealing with employees. Be pleasantly surprised if you encounter one that DOES know their stuff.

There is NO requirement either in law, postal regs, or the tarriffs of FedEx and UPS that a firearm be sent FROM a FFL (when crossing state line, transfer of ownership, it must go TO a FFL. Exception for handguns going INTO NY State- they must be shipped BY an 01 FFL- Dealer. State law).

Likewise there is NO requirement that a firearm be "disassembled"- although I usually pull the action from the stock for a long gun, wrap them separately- fewer broken stocks that way.

Serious suggestion- assume that you will encounter someone that does not know their own regs. You can access the Domestic Mail Manual on line (when mailing rifles or shotguns by US Mail- only 01 Dealers and Manufacturers can MAIL handguns) and you can access the tariffs for UPS and FedEx (rifles and shotguns- go cheap. Handguns they require be sent Next day Air) PRINT the relative portion. Put it in your pocket. When you encounter an employee that tells you "you can't", say the magic words-

"May I please see your supervisor? Your regulations (place on counter) says that I can."