Serial number search? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism >

Serial number search?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2012, 12:37 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 64 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I traded with a private owner recently and we used common transfer documentation along with photo copies of each other's DL. The original owner is where LEO will start when a gun is used in a crime.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:21 PM   #22

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by danolator View Post
I traded with a private owner recently and we used common transfer documentation along with photo copies of each other's DL. The original owner is where LEO will start when a gun is used in a crime.
I was taught when buying guns from people to do this to be sure to take down ID#(if not a photo of it), home address, current phone number, and all that good stuff. Thanks for the input.

Old 06-11-2012, 07:34 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I figure i have a good excuse to avoid actually being convicted of "possession of stolen property" thanks to the feds suckage on this issue. There is no practical way for me to be sure a used firearm is stolen; that would seem a reasonable basis to reduce my obligation to be sure about the pedigree. I'm not saying i would get to keep a hot pistol if i was caught with it, but i doubt i would be convicted by a jury of my peers.

Old 06-11-2012, 08:38 PM   #24

Liked 849 Times on 547 Posts
Likes Given: 257

I bought and sold a stolen pistol once. I bought it from a dealer. The guy I sold it to had his local cops check the serial number. I returned his money and the dealer returned my money. The dealer was just out his money. The gun had been stolen about 25 years before it came into my possession. The cops knew very well that none of the parties involved had anything to do with the theft. The cops said they were going to turn the gun over to the insurance company that had paid the original owner for his loss.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:09 PM   #25

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
I bought and sold a stolen pistol once. I bought it from a dealer. The guy I sold it to had his local cops check the serial number. I returned his money and the dealer returned my money. The dealer was just out his money. The gun had been stolen about 25 years before it came into my possession. The cops knew very well that none of the parties involved had anything to do with the theft. The cops said they were going to turn the gun over to the insurance company that had paid the original owner for his loss.
Yeah, I guess because I have never really been in trouble on anything and I have absolutely no clue if it is stolen and I documented who I bought it from and where and all, it wouldn't come back on me hopefully. I just like to be absolutely sure.