Senate 'Gun Control' Compromise Likely this week - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Senate 'Gun Control' Compromise Likely this week

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2013, 05:36 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 257 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 185

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankStone View Post
Strange,But before all the gun laws we had inundate us,with more for sure on the way,we didn't have all the shootings and mass murder we have today.

Just thumb through an old Sears Roebuck Catalog,if you can find one,and whiteness American Freedom Lost over time..
that's because back then parents actually raised and disciplined their kids. Taught them good morals and that there are consequences for everything they do. Now days if you spank your child you go to jail, child protection knows better than patents do, and parents have just gotten plum lazy. Parents now days don't want to spend time with their kids, they want to send them to the government run schools to be raised so they don't have to deal with it. If a child stands up and back talks their parents they don't discipline them, they say oh its just his add ADHD or some other acronym syndrom and shove another pill in their mouth. That's what's wrong with this country and why all these crazies are coming out of the wood work. They are told all their life they are a winner and its someone else fault if they screw up. I thank god everyday I wasn't raised like that. Sorry folks, rant over.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:51 PM   #22
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2332 Times on 1255 Posts
Likes Given: 842

I'm having a hard time finding anything in the description of this "compromise" that isn't different than is currently in the law.

One of two things is going on here. Either the politicians are creating a huge smoke screen to cover the fact nothing has actually happened, or there is something buried in this bill that no one is talking about.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA
People Like This 
Old 04-10-2013, 05:54 PM   #23

Liked 1396 Times on 730 Posts
Likes Given: 1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
The far left will call you low-brow gun nut, and the far right will call you government ass-kissing liberal.
That's probably true. Have you considered the possibility that one of those sides is correct?

Quote:
How dare you inject common sense into the fight??
I believe that step #1 (above) to be sorted out before one concludes that some middle ground is either correct or sensible.

C.S.S.A.; N.F.A.; N.R.A. Life Member
Make the world a better place; have your liberal spayed or neutered.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:13 PM   #24

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Devil is always in the details...the risk is what disqualifies a purchase. The danger is now that UBC will be mandatory every little aspect of your life will be part of the background check. Look at NY where guns are being confiscated from people who's only crime was having been prescribed a certain class of drugs. That class of drug by the way includes many common pain killers, sleep aids and cough suppressants.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 04-10-2013, 06:35 PM   #25

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
It looks like what has been 'brokered' is basically closing the so-called 'gun show' loophole. Family transactions will not be on the radar.
I haven't seen anything that implies Family/private transfers are not on the radar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
I'm having a hard time finding anything in the description of this "compromise" that isn't different than is currently in the law.

One of two things is going on here. Either the politicians are creating a huge smoke screen to cover the fact nothing has actually happened, or there is something buried in this bill that no one is talking about.
true...

I won't believe anything until I can read the actual bill on thomas/govtrack.

2010: "Of course I'll waive my rights. I don't want to miss my connecting flight."

Old 04-10-2013, 06:55 PM   #26

Liked 4983 Times on 2413 Posts
Likes Given: 1586

Quote:
Originally Posted by StainlessSteel215 View Post
So you define all gun crimes as the few mass shootings in America? How about the Crip or MS13 gang member who shaves up, throws on a polo shirt and presents himself as a seemingly responsible guy...sparks up a convo with a private gun seller at a convention and BAM...transaction complete.

MS13 gang member goes on to light up the neighboring rival gang and 3 innocent people including a child gets caught up in the crossfire.

I guess you dont care about "THOSE" people huh? Those innocent city folks being killed every day arent on your radar Mr. Mountain Man? Out of sight, out of mind? Well, Im here to tell you this happens almost daily in places like Philadelphia, Camden, and nearby cities. IT DOES HAPPEN.
Are private sellers profiting from our Freedom and buying guns with the intent of re-selling them on the street... ABSOLUTELY... and it's called a straw purchase... it's already illegal... and it's rarely prosecuted.

SS... the problem you describe above is a real problem, however, the Government already has all The power and authority they need to shut it down.

They choose to not allocate funding for the "investigations" this work requires, then they whine about needing MORE POWER.

They choose to not prosecute "Sheniqua" for buying her "Convict" boyfriend a gun... because she did it "for love".... Then they attack OUR RIGHTS as the reason Seniqua's Baby Daddy was able to conduct a drive by shooting.

Please, Wake up and see the bigger picture. Even if they pass "universal BGC's"... NOTHING will change. Sheniqua will still pass the check and give the gun to her boyfriends gang.

Bloods, Crips, and MS 13 will never run out of the 21 Year Old Females with clean records that they can intimidate into buying there guns.

The notion that we can accept a bit more regulation and contribute to public safety is a complete fallacy...

Tack
Old 04-10-2013, 07:16 PM   #27
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6576 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post

That is far too much like common sense

The far left will call you low-brow gun nut, and the far right will call you government ass-kissing liberal.

How dare you inject common sense into the fight??
Quote:
Mongo...have you been to gun shows? Specially in more relaxed southern and northwestern states? Hell, even in my own state of PA? In theory your point is correct about illegal private sales/transfers.....but in practice its happening all across the states as we speak. It needs to stop. I'm sure they could work in exceptions like a family transfer but all sales and transfers need to happen on the books, by an FFL to prevent criminal purchases. My $.02
Quote:
So you define all gun crimes as the few mass shootings in America? How about the Crip or MS13 gang member who shaves up, throws on a polo shirt and presents himself as a seemingly responsible guy...sparks up a convo with a private gun seller at a convention and BAM...transaction complete.

MS13 gang member goes on to light up the neighboring rival gang and 3 innocent people including a child gets caught up in the crossfire.

I guess you dont care about "THOSE" people huh? Those innocent city folks being killed every day arent on your radar Mr. Mountain Man? Out of sight, out of mind? Well, Im here to tell you this happens almost daily in places like Philadelphia, Camden, and nearby cities. IT DOES HAPPEN.
There are SEVERAL huge gaping holes in your theory that requiring guns to go through an FFL with deter criminals and stop crime.

1. By definition, criminals DON'T follow laws. What's one more law to them? If they are going to use a gun in a crime, they are already looking at some seriously hard time. Do you think they really care about laws?

2. MOST guns used in crimes are stolen, or bought ILLEGALLY on the streets. AKA, the black market. A law is not going to stop this, because what they are doing is already illegal. You want to stop this? How about prosecuting these criminals? The VAST majority of them caught breaking a gun control law were never prosecuted.

3. Even the police think a universal background check is useless. It WON'T stop criminals from getting guns.

4. There are already laws against selling guns to criminals. THEY DON'T WORK. Why would another one work?

5. The ONLY people who would be effected by that law are people like you and me. People who already follow the law.

On top of all of this, a universal background check would make it easier for the Government to pass laws requiring registration, and we all know exactly what that leads to.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:27 PM   #28

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

How did we ever survive, thrive, as a nation before The Brady Bill or AWB1?

It boggles the mind how people can be led around by the nose.

Criminals break the law; arrest and convict them, make sure they do their (maybe really hard) time, then send them back to whatever poophole they came from to redeem themselves and live out the remainder of their lives in fear of being uncivil again. Or go after law-abiding citizens, pretending you are actually doing something against the first group, and couch it as "sensible gun-control" the old and feeble-minded will thank you for.

Stainless, what in the criminal world really changes the day after UBCs start? And does UBC really ultimately mean national registration of all law-abiding-citizens' firearms!? Heck, Canada HAD the utopia of national gun registration, like New York State had ballistic fingerprinting of handguns, and they repealed them recently because they did NOTHING!

Last edited by HockaLouis; 04-10-2013 at 07:44 PM.
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 04-10-2013, 08:22 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Thumbs down

Quote:

You define private sales as illegal? I have bought more than one firearm from an individual; both sales were legal as a beagle.

When will people understand that the failure of the government to enforce one law does NOT justify the enactment of another law to further restrict citizens rights? It is NOT my fault if the government can't enforce its laws against organized crime or douchebaggy tattoos. The existence of organized douchebaggery like MS13 and such is not MY FAULT; sick the feds on MS13.

Now it could be argued that some government training my tax dollars paid for contributed to the skill set of some of the cartel personnel, but I really lay that on the feds as administrators of the tax funds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
Hey amigo can I get a gun? You can trust me hombre. Lmfao
Damn! That fool fell asleep at the wrooooong party!

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

People Like This 
Old 04-10-2013, 08:25 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tackleberry1 View Post
Bloods, Crips, and MS 13 will never run out of the 21 Year Old Females with clean records that they can intimidate into buying there guns.
Tack
At least the U.S. still has SOME natural resources.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.