Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Selling hand loads (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/selling-hand-loads-52424/)

MobileMarine 11-25-2011 11:19 PM

Selling hand loads

I own a marine repair shop , we have a closed store front on our property and thinking of sticking my iron in that retail fire to make up for the slow winters .
Im thinking hunting , fishing and boating supply . Can you legally sell re / hand loads in a retail setting ? Liability ? Worth the hassle ? Startup would be high but overtime it would deff pay for itself . Any advice ?

willfully armed 11-25-2011 11:25 PM

you must have an ffl to lawfully sell reloaded ammunition.

texaswoodworker 11-25-2011 11:28 PM

There could be a reliability issue. Even if an accident is not your fault a slimey lawyer could find some way to sue you.

I'm not sure, but you may need an ffl to reload ammo that you plan on selling.

Regular hunting and fishing supplies would be simple enought to sell.

Good luck with your plans.

JonM 11-25-2011 11:31 PM

consult with whomever insures your current business on the cost of added insurance for ammo sales. you need a ffl to manufacture ammunition for sale

texaswoodworker 11-25-2011 11:34 PM

Could you possibly sell the brass and bullets seperate or do you need an ffl for that too?

MobileMarine 11-26-2011 12:24 AM

OK , say I sold the brass , primers , powder , lead to the customer then charged a '' service fee '' to load them ? That sound slike a loop hole but I still smell liability . The gal pops is dating has daughter who is a lawyer , I could get her to make up a waiver / release form .
I assume you need nothing to sell factory loads ?

I just read about a cigarette shop in the news that sold the tabaco and papers and let the customers use the in house rolling machine . Not saying I would let Joe shmoe come in and load his own but .

JonM 11-26-2011 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texaswoodworker (Post 635806)
Could you possibly sell the brass and bullets seperate or do you need an ffl for that too?

i believe you can. but im not 100% sure

Quote:

Originally Posted by MobileMarine (Post 635834)
OK , say I sold the brass , primers , powder , lead to the customer then charged a '' service fee '' to load them ? That sound slike a loop hole but I still smell liability . The gal pops is dating has daughter who is a lawyer , I could get her to make up a waiver / release form .
I assume you need nothing to sell factory loads ?

I just read about a cigarette shop in the news that sold the tabaco and papers and let the customers use the in house rolling machine . Not saying I would let Joe shmoe come in and load his own but .

that is still manufacturing. doing it without proper licensing will still land you in jail. if you sold the components and let customers use the gear free you would be treading the grey area. not a place i would want my business being.

c3shooter 11-26-2011 01:54 AM

You will need to change your screen name to FORMERLY Mobile Marine. Since sitting in FCI Atlanta limits your mobility a lot.

First, you need an 06 FFL to manufacture ammo for sale. Please remember that the ATF is a TAX COLLECTING AGENCY. And there is a Federal Excise tax to be paid to them for ammo made and sold.

Boys and girls, can you spell "tax dodger"? Yes, that's right, F-E-L-O-N. Very good, boys and girls. It put Al Capone in the Big House, didn't it?

Yes, you can sell brass, bullets, lube, presses and dies, powder, primers, and naked pictures of Carmen Miranda without a FFL- but to "engage in the business" of making ammo for sale needs a license.

Second, one blown up firearm will close your doors (no longer YOUR doors, BTW) if you do not have products liability insurance for the product you made and sold.

Third- do any of us SOUND like a lawyer? :p

danf_fl 11-26-2011 08:43 AM

Get a lawyer, become an LLC, get the FFL, sell factory ammo.

Even IF letting someone come in and load their own could be risky. If the measure is not correct and accidently drops too heavy a charge, well, it was your equipment. The length of dies settings is not compatible with another's rifle, well, it was your equipment.

Even if you set thing up according to the reloading manual for OAL, drop charge, crimp, AND you tell the customers to leave the settings alone, would they REALLY listen?

Hey, it is your equipment.

DougB 11-26-2011 11:04 AM

Good luck with your future business if you care to pursue it. No business from me however. The only handloads that I shoot are those I do myself. Don't take it personally......It's just my way of thinking.