Selling of guns from my collection - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Selling of guns from my collection

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2011, 03:33 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I like keeping records of all transactions that I do. So having a bill of sale would help my record keeping.

But to clear it up, having the gun transferred again to the buyer would cover anything and everything>

Old 07-19-2011, 03:34 PM   #12

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My local gun shop will allow you to sell items on consignment. You would have to share a part of the proceeds, but they do the all of the paperwork and also have lots of customers looking for used guns.

Nothing to worry about on your end and the items sell quickly. Could be an option at a store close to you as well.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:39 PM   #13

I would rather just full out sell the gun and have it transferred than have have the shop sell it for me.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:46 PM   #14

Liked 49 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 1

For your peace of mind request I.D. and a bill of sale. Just my 2 pennies.

Old 07-19-2011, 03:56 PM   #15

Would I be safe just transferring the gun using my ffl>

Old 07-19-2011, 04:05 PM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6663 Times on 3545 Posts
Likes Given: 498

i make buyers go through a ffl dealer that way its legally theirs and the chain of custody reflects such. so if something naughty happens with a gun i used to own the feds wont come knocking at my door.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 07-19-2011, 04:07 PM   #17

I can just have them pay the transfer fee and everything is gravy after that then?

Old 07-19-2011, 05:28 PM   #18

Liked 781 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 499

As others have stated having an FFL act as transferring agent gets a NICS background check. This will identify any felons or non-citizens. Even if the NICS screws up it is not your problem. Also the FFLs bound volume and the 4473 will support the transfer of the firearm so that any BATF trace doesn't lead to your door.
"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 07-19-2011, 05:31 PM   #19

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rav View Post
I can just have them pay the transfer fee and everything is gravy after that then?
Call your FFL to make sure what the transfer fee is, here its 30 bucks, other places its 20 bucks. Other than that, thats one of the services they provide, to do a legal and problem avoiding transfer of firearms. IMO, that is 100% the way I would go.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:59 PM   #20

Liked 181 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 407

It is much safer to go through an FFL when you are transferring. You can also ask the person to fax/email their state I.D so that you can verify their age and residence if you do not have that information.

You necessarily do not have to, but FFL is much safer.