Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > sell to my brother - laws?

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2011, 05:21 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default sell to my brother - laws?

My brother wants me to buy him a handgun from a local dealer because I get a discount there, then sell it to him. What do I need to do to keep the whole transaction nice and legal?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-14-2011, 05:25 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

It's illegal to buy a handgun for someone else. I don't know about colorado but here in NC face to face transactions are legal so here if you buy it and then sell it to him you would be within the law.

I should mentione I failed the bar exam.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 01-14-2011, 05:32 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 998 Times on 587 Posts
Likes Given: 311

I'm no lawyer either but it seems to me that if you are buying a gun with the intent of selling it that you are in fact NOT the "actual buyer".

Any chance you can talk to the gun shop and ask them to pass your discount to your friend for the sale? That IMO would be the best way to ensure you are 100% legal.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 01-14-2011, 05:34 PM   #4

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Do a little research on what constitutes a "Straw Purchase" and act accordingly. Legal information from the internet is worth as much as it costs - nothing...

Old 01-14-2011, 09:05 PM   #5

Here's your biggest problem:

You've just posted on the internet that you plan on purchasing the gun to hand over to your brother.

You've pretty much stated "I'm going to be a straw purchaser"

Now, if your brother does ANYTHING with that gun, you can be implicated.

Do what was suggested earlier: bring your brother into the shop, and ask if the shop can pass the discount to your brother.

Or, some stores will allow you to pay for a "gun voucher" which can be redeemed for a gun at a later point. It's basically a "gun gift certificate", where you pay for it, give it to someone else, and they can "trade it in" for the gun, and THEY count as the person buying it (as it is THEY who get checked, not you).

There are two types of idiocy: Believing everything one is told without question, and never listening to what others have to say.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Do a little research on what constitutes a "Straw Purchase" and act accordingly. Legal information from the internet is worth as much as it costs - nothing...
That being said, what he's talking about doing pretty much smacks of a "Straw Purchase".

There are two types of idiocy: Believing everything one is told without question, and never listening to what others have to say.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:08 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8316 Times on 3595 Posts
Likes Given: 1280

What he said up there

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 01-15-2011, 03:33 AM   #8

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

When buying a gun one of the questions you are asked is "Are you the actual purchaser of the gun?"

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 01-15-2011, 05:16 AM   #9

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
When buying a gun one of the questions you are asked is "Are you the actual purchaser of the gun?"
That's the first question.

I believe there is an exclusion, in respect to gifting, for immediate family members. Look into it.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Last edited by willfully armed; 01-15-2011 at 05:21 AM.

Old 01-15-2011, 09:16 AM   #10

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

If you check the box I am buying this me then turn around and sell i to another person that is the definition of a straw purchase. Now I don't know if your state allows a purchase for a lift. I'm sure states have laws for this action as I'm sure it comes up pretty often.

If it was me I would want to talk to maybe local LEO or call a gun shop and ask the dealer.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Closed Thread