Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   "Self Defense Killing in Florida" (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/self-defense-killing-florida-60741/)

Chainfire 03-21-2012 08:25 PM

"Self Defense Killing in Florida"

I am surprised no one has commented on the 17 year old kid, killed by a neighborhood watch bozo.

Are you all as ashamed as I am that a CCW holder would chase down and kill a kid who was armed only with a pack of skittles?

I am fairly familiar with Florida firearms laws and am amazed that the killer was not charged.

texaswoodworker 03-21-2012 08:29 PM

Link to the story? I have no idea what happened, so I cannot really have an opinion about it yet.

HAGEN442 03-21-2012 08:36 PM

17 yr old Shooting

I think a lot of us have several questions on this situation.

Overkill0084 03-21-2012 08:36 PM

Since I wasn't there I'm going to hold back opinion as to which one of them is the bozo. I've been following it on another forum. The news reports I've seen have been vague at best, and biased at worst. Somehow I suspect "Mommy's Little Angel" might have done something to provoke an armed response. What little I've read about the shooter leads me to believe he isn't a total douche, that too could be useless information of course. Whether it turns out to be justified is yet to be determined. Since it's turned into a national media circus, I suspect that objectivity has been cast aside in the interest of social justice and political correctness.
Piling on without all the facts isn't going to help.

Chainfire 03-21-2012 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overkill0084 (Post 747441)
Since I wasn't there I'm going to hold back opinion as to which one of them is the bozo. I've been following it on another forum. The news reports I've seen have been vague at best, and biased at worst. Somehow I suspect "Mommy's Little Angel" might have done something to provoke an armed response. What little I've read about the shooter leads me to believe he isn't a total douche, that too could be useless information of course. Whether it turns out to be justified is yet to be determined. Since it's turned into a national media circus, I suspect that objectivity has been cast aside in the interest of social justice and political correctness.
Piling on without all the facts isn't going to help.

It appears that the killer pursued the unarmed suspect and shot him down, while the kid was begging for his life. The kid weighed 150 lbs and the killer about 250, so no disparity of force to justify the killing, no imminent danger to the shooter or anyone else, the authorities had told the shooter to remain in his car......

orangello 03-21-2012 08:48 PM

I will be interested to hear how this really happened. Scary hoodie or not, i find it hard to believe that the neighborhood watcher would just shoot the kid without any threat/reason.

texaswoodworker 03-21-2012 08:54 PM

Yeah, unless they guy was a serious sociopath, I doubt he shot a kid who was begging for his life just for the hell of it. There is definetly more to this story.

eoin2899 03-21-2012 09:03 PM

"It appears" like the sun might go down this evening.........MSNBC etc sez he should be hung right away....no need for any investigation.....politicians are doing the "slip slidin away dance".......the guy could be a raving racist but all we see so far is a lot of biased anti gun journalist bull****......they have this thing called the criminal justice system that should sort it all out if given half a chance.

kusterleXD 03-21-2012 09:06 PM

We don't have all the facts. We do not know if the kid tried to get the shooter's weapon, if the kid tried to act tough and acted if he were armed, etc. We should not be quick to pass judgement on either person until more facts emerge. One thing is certain: the shooter should have waited for authorities instead of trying to handle the situation on his own but hind sight is 20-20 and foresight isn't always so clear.

RED 03-21-2012 09:25 PM

I'm in the area...

... visiting relatives. The local concensus is that the shooter should have been arrested immediately. Accxording to an areanews story, he is on tape using racial slurs plus he has a prior arrest where he was charged with severely beating another black guy that weighed about 100lbs less than him.

If that is true, he needs to be in prison.