Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > this seems like a good bill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2012, 10:31 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1101 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 630

Default this seems like a good bill

this seems like a good bill.. its so common sense its scary

http://www.ammoland.com/2012/03/23/vitter-thune-concealed-carry-reciprocity-bill-would-balance-states-vs-individual-gun-owners-rights/#axzz1qGCqiTZf

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-26-2012, 10:38 PM   #2
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

*scratching my empty head*

Maybe I'm missing something or I didn't read enough, but if a state like New York punishes those who possess handguns without a New York State permit as a felon, I'm not sure I understand how someone from Vermont, who does not need a permit in Vermont to carry concealed, were to enter New York carrying concealed would be free from prosecution/persecution. How do you manage this "in accordance with local laws"??

Old 03-26-2012, 10:59 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post

Maybe I'm missing something or I didn't read enough, but if a state like New York punishes those who possess handguns without a New York State permit as a felon, I'm not sure I understand how someone from Vermont, who does not need a permit in Vermont to carry concealed, were to enter New York carrying concealed would be free from prosecution/persecution. How do you manage this "in accordance with local laws"??
true that is a good point.
of a grieving mother

Old 03-26-2012, 11:18 PM   #4

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts

I think that the states that don't require a permit have a system to apply for an out of state license.. I heard something on that a while ago.. So ppl from Vermont would come into ny with a permit to carry outside of their own state...

However....

I live in nys. And I don't think the cops will put up with this too much at all. Also I've been waiting 20 years already and I got another 6 months till I turn 21.. Then I have to pass a background check, interview and reference check which takes up to 6 months or more.... So to me it just sucks that other states people can just walk to a store and after a phone call walk out with a pistol where here our hands are cuffed untill u get that little blue paper... I can't even hold a pistol in a shop without showing them a license first!!! So it's just salt in the wound that other people can carry here and I can't...

Oh and when I do get my license, it will be fore target and hunting only.... Nys never gives out ccw permit to normal citizens... They only
Go to retired officers...

Put a sign in your front yard that reads "Gun Free House" & see where the criminals go.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:37 AM   #5
+ TRES VERBO DICTUM +
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1616 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 1305

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyjr1 View Post
IOh and when I do get my license, it will be fore target and hunting only.... Nys never gives out ccw permit to normal citizens... They only Go to retired officers...
Actually this is a county by county thing. I live in Franklin County NY and I just received my permit. Up here the logic is; either you can be trusted with a gun, or can't, period. It doesn't make much sense to trust someone with a gun for target shooting but not trust them otherwise, if they're going to have access to a gun all the time anyway.
(On the other hand, maybe I received my CCW because I'm not exactly a 'normal citizen'. )

Here's a map to NYS pistol permit restrictions county by county. I don't know how up to date it is. Check with your county clerk for the definitive answer:

http://marylandshallissue.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/NYPermitMap-FINAL.jpg

In some counties you can have restrictions lifted after a year or so, presuming you haven't gone and shot anyone, etc.

Last edited by Vincine; 03-27-2012 at 01:16 AM.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:54 AM   #6

Liked 46 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 240

New york might as well be its own country with its f*ed up laws.

Woe to those who make unjust laws and to those who issue oppressive decrees. -Isaiah 10:1

Blaming guns for death is like blaming forks for obesity

Old 03-27-2012, 01:09 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
I think that the states that don't require a permit have a system to apply for an out of state license.. I heard something on that a while ago.. So ppl from Vermont would come into ny with a permit to carry outside of their own state...

However....

I live in nys. And I don't think the cops will put up with this too much at all. Also I've been waiting 20 years already and I got another 6 months till I turn 21.. Then I have to pass a background check, interview and reference check which takes up to 6 months or more.... So to me it just sucks that other states people can just walk to a store and after a phone call walk out with a pistol where here our hands are cuffed untill u get that little blue paper... I can't even hold a pistol in a shop without showing them a license first!!! So it's just salt in the wound that other people can carry here and I can't...

Oh and when I do get my license, it will be fore target and hunting only.... Nys never gives out ccw permit to normal citizens... They only

Put a sign in your front yard that reads "Gun Free House" & see where the criminals go.
you are incorrect...NYS is a Concealed Carry State, with some counties imposing restrictions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
Actually this is a county by county thing. I live in Franklin County NY and I just received my permit. Up here the logic is; either you can be trusted with a gun, or can't, period. It doesn't make much sense to trust someone with a gun for target shooting, if they're going to have access to a gun all the time anyway.
(On the other hand, maybe I received my CCW because I'm not exactly a 'normal citizen'. )

Here's a map to NYS pistol permit restrictions county by county. I don't know how up to date it is. Check with your county clerk for the definitive answer:

http://marylandshallissue.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/NYPermitMap-FINAL.jpg

In some counties you can have restrictions lifted after a year or so, presuming you haven't gone and shot anyone, etc.
correct. in my county its five years after inital issuance that you can "upgrade" to unrestricted, carry concealed...

back to the topic. i think out of staters would be able 2 attain some way of carrying legally
of a grieving mother

Old 03-27-2012, 01:09 AM   #8

Liked 3734 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkt View Post

Quote:
The Thune-Vitter bill would guarantee that persons who are legally permitted to have a concealed firearm according to the laws of their home state may carry such a firearm in any other state that allows concealed carry
The way I am understanding this is that in my home state of VT I can carry concealed (no permit required). NY allows concealed carry (with permit). Therefore according to Thune-Vitter I would be allowed to exercise my VT rights by carrying concealed in NY.

That would make living in VT even more totally awesome!

Suck it NY'ers!!!

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 03-27-2012, 03:25 AM   #9

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts

Ok Yeahh I do live in Nassau county... But like u said.. They trust u to have it anyways so what's the point.. I just wish long island would become its own state so we can get new laws and mor federal aid.... We have more population than like 6 states and we are already bigger than rhode island... I don't know where we would fit the 51's start on the flag tho lol

Old 03-27-2012, 11:51 AM   #10
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Except that New York State has no reciprocity with any other state. If the Feds push the issue, then they are stepping on state law. That's an overreach, IMO. It would be better if the NYS legislature changed the law.

Quote:
So to me it just sucks that other states people can just walk to a store and after a phone call walk out with a pistol where here our hands are cuffed untill u get that little blue paper... I can't even hold a pistol in a shop without showing them a license first!!! So it's just salt in the wound that other people can carry here and I can't...
Well, they can't. At least not yet.

Quote:
That's not correct. Plenty of counties in New York State issue concealed carry permits to anyone who wants them. Counties around New York City are a different story.