Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   this seems like a good bill (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/seems-like-good-bill-61161/)

jjfuller1 03-26-2012 11:31 PM

this seems like a good bill
 
this seems like a good bill.. its so common sense its scary

http://www.ammoland.com/2012/03/23/vitter-thune-concealed-carry-reciprocity-bill-would-balance-states-vs-individual-gun-owners-rights/#axzz1qGCqiTZf

bkt 03-26-2012 11:38 PM

*scratching my empty head*

Maybe I'm missing something or I didn't read enough, but if a state like New York punishes those who possess handguns without a New York State permit as a felon, I'm not sure I understand how someone from Vermont, who does not need a permit in Vermont to carry concealed, were to enter New York carrying concealed would be free from prosecution/persecution. How do you manage this "in accordance with local laws"??

jjfuller1 03-26-2012 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkt (Post 752727)
*scratching my empty head*

Maybe I'm missing something or I didn't read enough, but if a state like New York punishes those who possess handguns without a New York State permit as a felon, I'm not sure I understand how someone from Vermont, who does not need a permit in Vermont to carry concealed, were to enter New York carrying concealed would be free from prosecution/persecution. How do you manage this "in accordance with local laws"??

true that is a good point.

hockeyjr1 03-27-2012 12:18 AM

I think that the states that don't require a permit have a system to apply for an out of state license.. I heard something on that a while ago.. So ppl from Vermont would come into ny with a permit to carry outside of their own state...

However....

I live in nys. And I don't think the cops will put up with this too much at all. Also I've been waiting 20 years already and I got another 6 months till I turn 21.. Then I have to pass a background check, interview and reference check which takes up to 6 months or more.... So to me it just sucks that other states people can just walk to a store and after a phone call walk out with a pistol where here our hands are cuffed untill u get that little blue paper... I can't even hold a pistol in a shop without showing them a license first!!! So it's just salt in the wound that other people can carry here and I can't...

Oh and when I do get my license, it will be fore target and hunting only.... Nys never gives out ccw permit to normal citizens... They only
Go to retired officers...

Put a sign in your front yard that reads "Gun Free House" & see where the criminals go.

Vincine 03-27-2012 01:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyjr1 (Post 752773)
IOh and when I do get my license, it will be fore target and hunting only.... Nys never gives out ccw permit to normal citizens... They only Go to retired officers...

Actually this is a county by county thing. I live in Franklin County NY and I just received my permit. Up here the logic is; either you can be trusted with a gun, or can't, period. It doesn't make much sense to trust someone with a gun for target shooting but not trust them otherwise, if they're going to have access to a gun all the time anyway.
(On the other hand, maybe I received my CCW because I'm not exactly a 'normal citizen'. ;) )

Here's a map to NYS pistol permit restrictions county by county. I don't know how up to date it is. Check with your county clerk for the definitive answer:

http://marylandshallissue.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/NYPermitMap-FINAL.jpg

In some counties you can have restrictions lifted after a year or so, presuming you haven't gone and shot anyone, etc.

gmaster456 03-27-2012 01:54 AM

New york might as well be its own country with its f*ed up laws.

jjfuller1 03-27-2012 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyjr1 (Post 752773)
I think that the states that don't require a permit have a system to apply for an out of state license.. I heard something on that a while ago.. So ppl from Vermont would come into ny with a permit to carry outside of their own state...

However....

I live in nys. And I don't think the cops will put up with this too much at all. Also I've been waiting 20 years already and I got another 6 months till I turn 21.. Then I have to pass a background check, interview and reference check which takes up to 6 months or more.... So to me it just sucks that other states people can just walk to a store and after a phone call walk out with a pistol where here our hands are cuffed untill u get that little blue paper... I can't even hold a pistol in a shop without showing them a license first!!! So it's just salt in the wound that other people can carry here and I can't...

Oh and when I do get my license, it will be fore target and hunting only.... Nys never gives out ccw permit to normal citizens... They only
Go to retired officers...

Put a sign in your front yard that reads "Gun Free House" & see where the criminals go.

you are incorrect...NYS is a Concealed Carry State, with some counties imposing restrictions

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vincine (Post 752850)
Actually this is a county by county thing. I live in Franklin County NY and I just received my permit. Up here the logic is; either you can be trusted with a gun, or can't, period. It doesn't make much sense to trust someone with a gun for target shooting, if they're going to have access to a gun all the time anyway.
(On the other hand, maybe I received my CCW because I'm not exactly a 'normal citizen'. ;) )

Here's a map to NYS pistol permit restrictions county by county. I don't know how up to date it is. Check with your county clerk for the definitive answer:

http://marylandshallissue.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/NYPermitMap-FINAL.jpg

In some counties you can have restrictions lifted after a year or so, presuming you haven't gone and shot anyone, etc.

correct. in my county its five years after inital issuance that you can "upgrade" to unrestricted, carry concealed...

back to the topic. i think out of staters would be able 2 attain some way of carrying legally

dog2000tj 03-27-2012 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkt (Post 752727)
*scratching my empty head*

Maybe I'm missing something or I didn't read enough, but if a state like New York punishes those who possess handguns without a New York State permit as a felon, I'm not sure I understand how someone from Vermont, who does not need a permit in Vermont to carry concealed, were to enter New York carrying concealed would be free from prosecution/persecution. How do you manage this "in accordance with local laws"??

Quote:

The Thune-Vitter bill would guarantee that persons who are legally permitted to have a concealed firearm according to the laws of their home state may carry such a firearm in any other state that allows concealed carry
The way I am understanding this is that in my home state of VT I can carry concealed (no permit required). NY allows concealed carry (with permit). Therefore according to Thune-Vitter I would be allowed to exercise my VT rights by carrying concealed in NY.


That would make living in VT even more totally awesome! :D



Suck it NY'ers!!! :p :D

hockeyjr1 03-27-2012 04:25 AM

Ok Yeahh I do live in Nassau county... But like u said.. They trust u to have it anyways so what's the point.. I just wish long island would become its own state so we can get new laws and mor federal aid.... We have more population than like 6 states and we are already bigger than rhode island... I don't know where we would fit the 51's start on the flag tho lol

Put a sign in your front yard that reads "Gun Free House" & see where the criminals go.

bkt 03-27-2012 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyjr1 (Post 752773)
I think that the states that don't require a permit have a system to apply for an out of state license.. I heard something on that a while ago.. So ppl from Vermont would come into ny with a permit to carry outside of their own state...

Except that New York State has no reciprocity with any other state. If the Feds push the issue, then they are stepping on state law. That's an overreach, IMO. It would be better if the NYS legislature changed the law.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyjr1 (Post 752773)
So to me it just sucks that other states people can just walk to a store and after a phone call walk out with a pistol where here our hands are cuffed untill u get that little blue paper... I can't even hold a pistol in a shop without showing them a license first!!! So it's just salt in the wound that other people can carry here and I can't...

Well, they can't. At least not yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyjr1 (Post 752773)
Oh and when I do get my license, it will be fore target and hunting only.... Nys never gives out ccw permit to normal citizens... They only
Go to retired officers...

That's not correct. Plenty of counties in New York State issue concealed carry permits to anyone who wants them. Counties around New York City are a different story.


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:21 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.