Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Section 8 and gun ownership.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2012, 05:04 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 153 Times on 91 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter
First, I THINK the proper term is Title 8 (for Federally subsidized housing)

Section 8 was an old term for a military discharge on psychiatric grounds.

IIRC, there WERE some projects that attempted to ban residents from possessing lawfully owned firearms, and the courts tossed that one big time. Sort of like telling you that you gave up your rights against self incrimination or freedom of religion if you lived there.

However, the thing to do is READ THE LEASE.
I was thinking the same thing if the army says your crazy you proably dont have any bussiness buying a gun roflmao

Old 06-25-2012, 03:15 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 169 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
First, I THINK the proper term is Title 8 (for Federally subsidized housing)

Section 8 was an old term for a military discharge on psychiatric grounds.

IIRC, there WERE some projects that attempted to ban residents from possessing lawfully owned firearms, and the courts tossed that one big time. Sort of like telling you that you gave up your rights against self incrimination or freedom of religion if you lived there.

However, the thing to do is READ THE LEASE.
I do believe you are showing your age when discussing the real definition of Sec. 8. A young fellow that works for me part time applied for Title 8 housing and the contract stipulated no guns.

Last edited by chuckusaret; 06-25-2012 at 03:19 PM.

Old 06-25-2012, 05:14 PM   #13

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckusaret View Post
I do believe you are showing your age when discussing the real definition of Sec. 8. A young fellow that works for me part time applied for Title 8 housing and the contract stipulated no guns.
Are there different contracts per state, or are you just talking about a lease?

Old 06-26-2012, 07:40 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Just for clarification, Section 8 in this context is short for Section 8 of the Housing Act of 1937.

Interesting question, as a landlord I hadn't given the idea any thought but I'll have to give it some consideration. While I'm not inclined to rule out possession of a gun for my tenant, I probably would want to know if my tenant was keeping firearms on the property. Maybe I'll add something to my leases going forward.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:06 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 998 Times on 587 Posts
Likes Given: 311

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichNH View Post
Just for clarification, Section 8 in this context is short for Section 8 of the Housing Act of 1937.

Interesting question, as a landlord I hadn't given the idea any thought but I'll have to give it some consideration. While I'm not inclined to rule out possession of a gun for my tenant, I probably would want to know if my tenant was keeping firearms on the property. Maybe I'll add something to my leases going forward.
Mandating your tenants to inform you of firearms could be a double edged sword. It's nice that you know but you might be taking some liability for knowing as well.

In Maryland after a recent court ruling if I know that my tenants have a pit bull I can potentially be held liable for injuries caused by the dog because Pit Bulls were recently declared "inherently dangerous" by a court. The ruling is expected to be overturned but for now...

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 06-26-2012, 03:09 PM   #16

Liked 169 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerickVonD View Post
Are there different contracts per state, or are you just talking about a lease?
Lease....In my area Title 8 is not what any landlord wants to hear.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:16 PM   #17
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 466 Times on 290 Posts

I am going to be rude, and get on my soap box . You can flame me after . Here you are asking about a gun to buy when you are either on title 8 or trying to get it. Instead of worrying about what gun to buy , why don't you find a job to help pay your grandmas rent . Instead of us that pay taxes to pay for it. Just so you can spend what is left over on your gun collection .

Ok I am done now.

"Don't call me Sir, I work for a living"

"I'm an A**hole"

chuckusaret Likes This 
Old 06-26-2012, 09:34 PM   #18

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGSF View Post
I am going to be rude, and get on my soap box . You can flame me after . Here you are asking about a gun to buy when you are either on title 8 or trying to get it. Instead of worrying about what gun to buy , why don't you find a job to help pay your grandmas rent . Instead of us that pay taxes to pay for it. Just so you can spend what is left over on your gun collection .

Ok I am done now.
College is not finished. It'll be another year or so and I am studying for PC Repair. I can not go to college and work too, I tried it, I can't do it(anxiety disorder). Trust me when I get a decent job, I want a house, a real house, not some ****ty apartment or townhome. I would rather finish college so I can get a better job, than quit college and have some deadend peanut paying job, such as working in fast food or retail.

Last edited by DerickVonD; 06-26-2012 at 09:44 PM.

Old 07-16-2012, 08:06 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03
I do not have a problem with anyone having a weapon as long as legally do so! But I do think that anyone on Section 8 or one of the entitlement programs should be subject to random drug testing and if they fail well they are on there own. Anyone living on our tax money doesn't have or should not have money to buy drugs. Nor should it be permitted.

Agreed..... Also I think the last thing someone should be doing living in section 8 or on any government assistant program is buying guns or ammo... i shouldnt have to even mention drugs as they're illegal anyway.... If you have money to buy a gun then your rent should be paid fridge filled and so on... just my 2 cents