Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Section 8 and gun ownership.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2012, 11:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Section 8 and gun ownership.

I wasn't sure if I should make another thread for this is not, but I was wondering is there any laws that prevent you from owning a gun, if your on the list for section 8? I checked google, but there was no specific info.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-25-2012, 12:03 AM   #2

Liked 53 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I think it depends on property and state rules and regs. I think ive read stories about some states having rules like, no drugs, no weapons etc.

Keep up with the trends, avoid the fads, take your time and do work you can be proud of always

Old 06-25-2012, 12:07 AM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearrwe View Post
I think it depends on property and state rules and regs. I think ive read stories about some states having rules like, no drugs, no weapons etc.
But it varies by state and isn't federal correct(what I mean is there aren't federal laws that prohibit things on section 8 housing)? Also say I'm on the list to be entitled to section 8, but I choose to live somewhere where there isn't section 8. I shouldn't need section 8 forever, just until I start working. And it's not going to show up I'm on section 8, when I go for a background check and I go to purchase guns, correct?

Last edited by DerickVonD; 06-25-2012 at 12:14 AM.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:15 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8638 Times on 3742 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

First, I THINK the proper term is Title 8 (for Federally subsidized housing)

Section 8 was an old term for a military discharge on psychiatric grounds.

IIRC, there WERE some projects that attempted to ban residents from possessing lawfully owned firearms, and the courts tossed that one big time. Sort of like telling you that you gave up your rights against self incrimination or freedom of religion if you lived there.

However, the thing to do is READ THE LEASE.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 06-25-2012, 12:16 AM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
First, I THINK the proper term is Title 8 (for Federally subsidized housing)

Section 8 was an old term for a military discharge on psychiatric grounds.

IIRC, there WERE some projects that attempted to ban residents from possessing lawfully owned firearms, and the courts tossed that one big time. Sort of like telling you that you gave up your rights against self incrimination or freedom of religion if you lived there.

However, the thing to do is READ THE LEASE.
Ah, but it won't prevent me from buying guns legally in any state, or getting the federal background check approved?

Last edited by DerickVonD; 06-25-2012 at 12:21 AM.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:22 AM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2343 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

I do not have a problem with anyone having a weapon as long as legally do so! But I do think that anyone on Section 8 or one of the entitlement programs should be subject to random drug testing and if they fail well they are on there own. Anyone living on our tax money doesn't have or should not have money to buy drugs. Nor should it be permitted.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 06-25-2012, 12:49 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8638 Times on 3742 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

Derick- a MILITARY Section 8 would- that means you were "adjudged mentally incompetent". However, THAT term has not been used for ages.

Living in subsidized housing does not prevent you from legally being able to buy a gun.

Remember- Obama has been living in subsidized housing for 3 years now.....

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

winds-of-change Likes This 
Old 06-25-2012, 02:21 AM   #8

Liked 1084 Times on 638 Posts
Likes Given: 338

Reading the lease is probably the most important thing you can do. However I am a landlord in MD and recently had to research renting to tenant on section 8. First it's illegal for a landlord to simply say they will not rent to you because you are receiving section 8 assistance, however it's very easy to legally deny a person who is section 8 and you will never win the fight. From all my research in Maryland (I'M NOT AN ATTORNEY AND DON'T PRETEND TO BE ONE) there is nothing that says section 8 housing can't have firearms or can't be denied firearms. The lease will be the determining factor. Unlike other renters however you might lose your ability to collect section 8 money if you violate terms of your lease so again the lease itself is the most important factor. I suggest talking with your potential landlord and asking the questions you want answered in a polite and easy going manner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerickVonD View Post
Ah, but it won't prevent me from buying guns legally in any state, or getting the federal background check approved?
If you live in MD and are a resident of MD, I think you need to really know the laws before potentially buying a gun in another state. I don't know if it's possible to do legally, it might be but I'm saying be careful. It may be more expensive to buy in MD and if it's a handgun or "assault weapon" it will take a waiting period but waiting 8 days is better than saving 8 days and getting busted for a technicality that costs you the ability to legally own a firearm for life.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Last edited by Yunus; 06-25-2012 at 02:25 AM.
c3shooter Likes This 
Old 06-25-2012, 02:42 AM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
Reading the lease is probably the most important thing you can do. However I am a landlord in MD and recently had to research renting to tenant on section 8. First it's illegal for a landlord to simply say they will not rent to you because you are receiving section 8 assistance, however it's very easy to legally deny a person who is section 8 and you will never win the fight. From all my research in Maryland (I'M NOT AN ATTORNEY AND DON'T PRETEND TO BE ONE) there is nothing that says section 8 housing can't have firearms or can't be denied firearms. The lease will be the determining factor. Unlike other renters however you might lose your ability to collect section 8 money if you violate terms of your lease so again the lease itself is the most important factor. I suggest talking with your potential landlord and asking the questions you want answered in a polite and easy going manner.

If you live in MD and are a resident of MD, I think you need to really know the laws before potentially buying a gun in another state. I don't know if it's possible to do legally, it might be but I'm saying be careful. It may be more expensive to buy in MD and if it's a handgun or "assault weapon" it will take a waiting period but waiting 8 days is better than saving 8 days and getting busted for a technicality that costs you the ability to legally own a firearm for life.
Yeah I am only going to buy a shotgun in MD, I plan on moving to VA in 2 pr maybe 3 years, but I live with my grandmom and me having section or titlte 8 would help her with rent, my main concern was if I went to get the federal background check done or a state background check done, it would show I'm on section 8 and thus automatically disqualify me from even purchasing a gun. Plus I have to look at VA laws as well. I do not plan on buying guns out of state and I will wait until the move to VA to buy a handgun

Last edited by DerickVonD; 06-25-2012 at 02:46 AM.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:07 AM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 20933 Times on 11891 Posts
Likes Given: 52492

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerickVonD View Post
Yeah I am only going to buy a shotgun in MD, I plan on moving to VA in 2 pr maybe 3 years, but I live with my grandmom and me having section or titlte 8 would help her with rent, my main concern was if I went to get the federal background check done or a state background check done, it would show I'm on section 8 and thus automatically disqualify me from even purchasing a gun. Plus I have to look at VA laws as well. I do not plan on buying guns out of state and I will wait until the move to VA to buy a handgun
when you purchase a firearm and fill out the 4473 form and they call in for the background check, all that is being checked is your criminal background. doesn't check to see if you get housing assistance. that would be up to the landlord and his lease agreement.

check with an attorney and find out what your rights are in the state you live in. every state can have different landlord and tenant laws. now if your record is clear, you can purchase a firearm, but if the laws state a landlord can restrict who he rents to in regard to firearms, then that's another thing.