Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Section 8 and gun ownership. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/section-8-gun-ownership-67040/)

DerickVonD 06-24-2012 11:57 PM

Section 8 and gun ownership.

I wasn't sure if I should make another thread for this is not, but I was wondering is there any laws that prevent you from owning a gun, if your on the list for section 8? I checked google, but there was no specific info.

bearrwe 06-25-2012 12:03 AM

I think it depends on property and state rules and regs. I think ive read stories about some states having rules like, no drugs, no weapons etc.

DerickVonD 06-25-2012 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearrwe (Post 848260)
I think it depends on property and state rules and regs. I think ive read stories about some states having rules like, no drugs, no weapons etc.

But it varies by state and isn't federal correct(what I mean is there aren't federal laws that prohibit things on section 8 housing)? Also say I'm on the list to be entitled to section 8, but I choose to live somewhere where there isn't section 8. I shouldn't need section 8 forever, just until I start working. And it's not going to show up I'm on section 8, when I go for a background check and I go to purchase guns, correct?

c3shooter 06-25-2012 12:15 AM

First, I THINK the proper term is Title 8 (for Federally subsidized housing)

Section 8 was an old term for a military discharge on psychiatric grounds. :p

IIRC, there WERE some projects that attempted to ban residents from possessing lawfully owned firearms, and the courts tossed that one big time. Sort of like telling you that you gave up your rights against self incrimination or freedom of religion if you lived there.

However, the thing to do is READ THE LEASE.

DerickVonD 06-25-2012 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 848270)
First, I THINK the proper term is Title 8 (for Federally subsidized housing)

Section 8 was an old term for a military discharge on psychiatric grounds. :p

IIRC, there WERE some projects that attempted to ban residents from possessing lawfully owned firearms, and the courts tossed that one big time. Sort of like telling you that you gave up your rights against self incrimination or freedom of religion if you lived there.

However, the thing to do is READ THE LEASE.

Ah, but it won't prevent me from buying guns legally in any state, or getting the federal background check approved?

Sniper03 06-25-2012 12:22 AM

I do not have a problem with anyone having a weapon as long as legally do so! But I do think that anyone on Section 8 or one of the entitlement programs should be subject to random drug testing and if they fail well they are on there own. Anyone living on our tax money doesn't have or should not have money to buy drugs. Nor should it be permitted.;)

c3shooter 06-25-2012 12:49 AM

Derick- a MILITARY Section 8 would- that means you were "adjudged mentally incompetent". :D However, THAT term has not been used for ages.

Living in subsidized housing does not prevent you from legally being able to buy a gun.

Remember- Obama has been living in subsidized housing for 3 years now.....

Yunus 06-25-2012 02:21 AM

Reading the lease is probably the most important thing you can do. However I am a landlord in MD and recently had to research renting to tenant on section 8. First it's illegal for a landlord to simply say they will not rent to you because you are receiving section 8 assistance, however it's very easy to legally deny a person who is section 8 and you will never win the fight. From all my research in Maryland (I'M NOT AN ATTORNEY AND DON'T PRETEND TO BE ONE) there is nothing that says section 8 housing can't have firearms or can't be denied firearms. The lease will be the determining factor. Unlike other renters however you might lose your ability to collect section 8 money if you violate terms of your lease so again the lease itself is the most important factor. I suggest talking with your potential landlord and asking the questions you want answered in a polite and easy going manner.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DerickVonD (Post 848274)
Ah, but it won't prevent me from buying guns legally in any state, or getting the federal background check approved?

If you live in MD and are a resident of MD, I think you need to really know the laws before potentially buying a gun in another state. I don't know if it's possible to do legally, it might be but I'm saying be careful. It may be more expensive to buy in MD and if it's a handgun or "assault weapon" it will take a waiting period but waiting 8 days is better than saving 8 days and getting busted for a technicality that costs you the ability to legally own a firearm for life.

DerickVonD 06-25-2012 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yunus (Post 848387)
Reading the lease is probably the most important thing you can do. However I am a landlord in MD and recently had to research renting to tenant on section 8. First it's illegal for a landlord to simply say they will not rent to you because you are receiving section 8 assistance, however it's very easy to legally deny a person who is section 8 and you will never win the fight. From all my research in Maryland (I'M NOT AN ATTORNEY AND DON'T PRETEND TO BE ONE) there is nothing that says section 8 housing can't have firearms or can't be denied firearms. The lease will be the determining factor. Unlike other renters however you might lose your ability to collect section 8 money if you violate terms of your lease so again the lease itself is the most important factor. I suggest talking with your potential landlord and asking the questions you want answered in a polite and easy going manner.

If you live in MD and are a resident of MD, I think you need to really know the laws before potentially buying a gun in another state. I don't know if it's possible to do legally, it might be but I'm saying be careful. It may be more expensive to buy in MD and if it's a handgun or "assault weapon" it will take a waiting period but waiting 8 days is better than saving 8 days and getting busted for a technicality that costs you the ability to legally own a firearm for life.

Yeah I am only going to buy a shotgun in MD, I plan on moving to VA in 2 pr maybe 3 years, but I live with my grandmom and me having section or titlte 8 would help her with rent, my main concern was if I went to get the federal background check done or a state background check done, it would show I'm on section 8 and thus automatically disqualify me from even purchasing a gun. Plus I have to look at VA laws as well. I do not plan on buying guns out of state and I will wait until the move to VA to buy a handgun

Axxe55 06-25-2012 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DerickVonD (Post 848429)
Yeah I am only going to buy a shotgun in MD, I plan on moving to VA in 2 pr maybe 3 years, but I live with my grandmom and me having section or titlte 8 would help her with rent, my main concern was if I went to get the federal background check done or a state background check done, it would show I'm on section 8 and thus automatically disqualify me from even purchasing a gun. Plus I have to look at VA laws as well. I do not plan on buying guns out of state and I will wait until the move to VA to buy a handgun

when you purchase a firearm and fill out the 4473 form and they call in for the background check, all that is being checked is your criminal background. doesn't check to see if you get housing assistance. that would be up to the landlord and his lease agreement.

check with an attorney and find out what your rights are in the state you live in. every state can have different landlord and tenant laws. now if your record is clear, you can purchase a firearm, but if the laws state a landlord can restrict who he rents to in regard to firearms, then that's another thing.