Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > The Second Amendment Watchdog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2009, 08:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Default The Second Amendment Watchdog

Radical 'Regulatory Czar' Could Pose Problems for Gun Owners
-- While BATFE is ready to step up efforts at spying on gun owners

Gun Owners of America E-Mail Alert
8001 Forbes Place, Suite 102, Springfield, VA 22151
Phone: 703-321-8585 / FAX: 703-321-8408

Friday, September 11, 2009

Yesterday, another radical extremist joined the ranks of the Obama administration.

Cass Sunstein, who is an old friend of Barack Obama, is now our new Regulatory Czar. You will recall that he is the guy who wants animals to sue hunters and other Americans. (emphasis added by cane)

He also supports gun control. (emphasis added by cane)

While his nomination as head of the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs passed the Senate by a 57-40 vote yesterday, the REAL vote was actually much closer -- losing only by three votes.

That vote occurred on Wednesday, when Republicans tried to kill his nomination using a filibuster -- a procedure which required Democrats to muster 60 votes. Every Democrat (except for three) voted for Sunstein. The three Senators who voted against Sunstein on the filibuster were Blanche Lincoln (D-AR), Mark Pryor (D-AR) and James Webb (D-VA).

Unfortunately, a handful of Republicans crossed party lines to help Sunstein overcome the procedural roadblock. The Republican traitors who crossed party lines on Wednesday were Senators Bob Bennett (UT), Sue Collins (ME), Judd Gregg (NH), Orrin Hatch (R-UT), Richard Lugar (IN) and Olympia Snowe (ME).

Dishonorable mention goes to Republican-turned-Democrat Senator Arlen Specter (PA) who voted for Sunstein -- as well as Senator Mark Pryor (D-AR), who waited until the end of the voting period to finally cast his ballot against Sunstein.

Regarding Pryor, you will remember that in August, he waited until the last minute to cast his vote in favor of the concealed carry reciprocity amendment. When it became clear the anti-gunners had a comfortable margin of victory, Sen. Pryor actually switched his vote at the last minute.

GOA members will be receiving a newsletter soon that shows an actual picture of the Senate tally sheet, which documents Pryor's vote switch. (Not receiving GOA's newsletter? Go to Join GOA Online and become a GOA member today!)

The cloture vote on Wednesday -- ending the filibuster on Sunstein -- was 63-35. You can see how your two Senators voted on the filibuster and on final passage by going to take-action on the GOA website.

As the Regulatory Czar, Sunstein will provide the final touches on new federal regulations. No firearm or ammunition needs to be banned outright -- that would be too transparent. As the coauthor of Nudge (2008), Sunstein has already laid out how "choice architects" should carefully guide (or nudge) Americans into making better choices.

So with a little regulation here... a little regulation there... Sunstein can strengthen the iron fist of the federal gun police (otherwise known as the BATFE). Or, he can implement additional federal requirements which will result in firearm and ammunition manufacturers paying more for their merchandise.

Of course, these costs will be passed on to the consumer as new "taxes" that will "nudge" Americans away from purchasing firearms or engaging in the shooting sports.

In short, be prepared for more "change" from Washington and less spare change in your pockets.

Be vigilant about BATFE spying!

GOA has received a report from a very well-known journalist at a big newspaper that the FBI and BATFE are teaming up together to get off-the-record information on gun owners. The project, known as Vigilant Eagle, involves federal agents going to gun stores and doing "meet and greets" with shop owners in the hopes of obtaining informal information on people buying guns.

If you are a shop owner who is contacted by the FBI or BATFE as part of this program -- or if you are a gun owner who becomes aware that this program is going on in your area -- please contact GOA by going to Gun Owners of America and giving us the details of what you know. The journalist wants to run a story exposing Vigilant Eagle to the entire country.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-11-2009, 08:42 PM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

Thanks for the post, Cane.
As a gun store employee, I will have to keep my eyes peeled.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:42 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Sunstein doesn't just need the hat, he needs an entire tinfoil suit. Stay vigilant.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 09-11-2009, 08:45 PM   #4

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Dammit!! Thanks Cain for that heads-up! I personally think the BATFE are way out of line here and have really lost sight of what and who they are really supposed to be protecting and enforcing.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 09-12-2009, 02:37 AM   #5

Lol... As if they think they will ever be able to disarm everyone. The only gun control I believe in is using two hands instead of one.

Does anybody here honestly think Obama will win re-election? What are his approval ratings if anyone knows. I'm not really sure.

What is it going to take to wake people up? I think most people are either too dumb, too lazy or just plain apathetic to take a stand and say something that they are angry over Obama's policies. Or they think of you as some crazy, conspiratard and that the government never lies, cheats or steals. I think it will come to a point where it will be like V For Vendetta, if anyone has seen the movie. Great movie, highly suggest it.

Last edited by hogger129; 09-12-2009 at 02:44 AM.

Old 09-12-2009, 03:41 AM   #6

Liked 1101 Times on 676 Posts
Likes Given: 2387

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogger129 View Post
Lol... As if they think they will ever be able to disarm everyone. The only gun control I believe in is using two hands instead of one.

Does anybody here honestly think Obama will win re-election? What are his approval ratings if anyone knows. I'm not really sure.

What is it going to take to wake people up? I think most people are either too dumb, too lazy or just plain apathetic to take a stand and say something that they are angry over Obama's policies. Or they think of you as some crazy, conspiratard and that the government never lies, cheats or steals. I think it will come to a point where it will be like V For Vendetta, if anyone has seen the movie. Great movie, highly suggest it.
Last I saw, about two days ago, it was around 49%. Now that was Fox, but if you watch MSNBC they will tell you 53%. Keep in mind a +/- 3% margin of error. Also, it seems almost every day they release new poll results, so who REALLY knows?

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 09-12-2009, 04:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogger129

Zogby had it at 42% on September 1st . I read he got a boost from his speech on Wednesday but have not seen new Zogby numbers.
I think there is a better chance of a revolution that Obama getting re-elected.
To many people just don’t know what is going on. I asked three people about the Tea Parties today. They had no clue what I was talking about, and I know two of them don’t like Obama.

Death By Gun Control The Mother of All Stats
In the 20th Century, at least 170,000,000 people were murdered by their own governments -- more killed than by crime – more than killed by war.
http://jpfo.org/index.htm

Old 09-12-2009, 01:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigByrd47119 View Post
Last I saw, about two days ago, it was around 49%. Now that was Fox, but if you watch MSNBC they will tell you 53%. Keep in mind a +/- 3% margin of error. Also, it seems almost every day they release new poll results, so who REALLY knows?
Well that and isn't MSNBC a bit biased in favor of the Democrats too?

Old 09-12-2009, 01:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Crow View Post
Zogby had it at 42% on September 1st . I read he got a boost from his speech on Wednesday but have not seen new Zogby numbers.
I think there is a better chance of a revolution that Obama getting re-elected.
To many people just don’t know what is going on. I asked three people about the Tea Parties today. They had no clue what I was talking about, and I know two of them don’t like Obama.
There are alot of stupid people out there who will blindly vote for anybody who tells them what they want to hear. Or because they think they are doing something "progressive" by voting Democrat. I live in Wisconsin, outside the Madison-area. Madison and Milwaukee both are home to alot of minorities who vote Democrat. I really think it's because Democrats are like Robin Hood. Steal from the rich, give to the poor. Hence, minorities vote for them.

Remember too that whether it's paper ballots or electronic, elections can still be rigged in our day and age.

And not to knock Bush or anything here, but what if it's all part of a scheme? I mean look. Bush opened the door for Obama, allowed the government to keep tightening its grip. USA Patriot Act, Katrina when they went into peoples homes without warrants, sezied their weapons... How about how Eric Holder wanted to bring back the Assault Weapons Ban and make it permanent? What if it's all just a big plot to turn the USA into a police-state? It's this Republican vs. Democrat paradigm that is killing our freedoms and country. You look and they're both doing the same thing - expanding the grip of the government.

I mean are there any vets on here? When you joined the armed forces, did you not swear to protect this country from all enemies foreign and domestic?

Does anybody here think the USA Patriot Act is necessary or has been effective? Does anybody here think that banning assault weapons is going to stop crime? Does anybody here feel that expanding the influence and control of the government is a good thing?

This is exactly the debate that the Founding Fathers fought over for so long. Too strong of a centralized government would crush the rights of the citizens. An elected legislature can trample someone's rights just as easily as a King can. Now with that said, doesn't anyone think what these people are doing and have done in past years is treasonous?

Look at the way the Nazis seized power in Germany in 1933. Does anyone see any parallels to the Reichstag Fire and other events in US history? Such as 9/11?

Someday the government will be putting cameras in your bedroom to make sure you are not doing anything illegal or threatening.

Last edited by hogger129; 09-12-2009 at 01:30 PM.

Old 09-12-2009, 05:32 PM   #10

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogger129 View Post

The are too busy with the Obama .

Remember, during his campaign....

Hope is good.
Hope will set you free.

Hope you have more than change left in your pockets.