Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Second Amendment applied to all cities and states (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/second-amendment-applied-all-cities-states-28811/)

canebrake 06-28-2010 03:21 PM

Second Amendment applied to all cities and states

US Supreme Court - Second Amendment applied to all cities and states

WOOT!

UPDATE 1-US top court extends gun rights to states, cities | Reuters

High Courtís Big Ruling For Gun Rights

Supreme Court says 2nd Amendment applies to the States in a 5-4 decision :: Liberty Maven

States Must Honor Gun Rights, U.S. High Court Says - BusinessWeek

NGIB 06-28-2010 03:27 PM

While this is indeed good news, it's only the beginning of the court fights. Heller opened the door for this one and this one will open the door for many more. Expect the next big fight to ensue over what are the "reasonable" restrictions that can be applied.

Chicago probably has a response ready as they must have known they'd lose this one. Expect them to install some serious hoops to jump through and I wouldn't be surprised if they thumb their nose at the SCOTUS decision...

Dillinger 06-28-2010 03:32 PM

There is a lot of legalize in a couple of those links, but this is a very good day indeed.

What's the over/under on fallout from this latest decision and when it will be challenged??

I am liking today already. :)

freefall 06-28-2010 03:40 PM

Monday morning blues just lightened up a little...

opaww 06-28-2010 03:45 PM

I am still reading the rulling, but it looks like Justice SCALIAsaid that Justice Stevens was full of sh_t.

Mosin 06-28-2010 04:00 PM

This upsets me to no end... From the article....

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg dissented in Heller and wondered why the right to bear arms was necessary to extend to the states. "[I]f the notion is that these are principles that any free society would adopt, well, a lot of free societies have rejected the right to keep and bear arms."

We have a justice sworn to uphold the CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA... and she points to other countries and their policies as her reasoning behind ruling against OUR constitution.

canebrake 06-28-2010 04:10 PM

We will continue the good fight!

This sure beats having it shot down! (Pun intended)

Pat-inCO 06-28-2010 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosin
We have a justice sworn to uphold the CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA... and she points to other countries and their policies as her reasoning behind ruling against OUR constitution.

Maybe this is where our "prez" got his lousy attitude? :rolleyes:

dog2000tj 06-28-2010 04:19 PM

Monday is looking a whole lot better now :D

bkt 06-28-2010 04:21 PM

'Bout time.

As for the lefties who dissented...one wonders if they would acknowledge that state and local governments can't stamp out free speech, freedom of religion, that you can't testify against yourself, that people have a right to be secure in their persons and belongings, that we don't have to quarter troops (Guard, cops) in our homes, etc., etc. If so, they can't defend partitioning 2A from the rest.

If not, then their true colors shine through: they are not champions of individual liberty and freedom.

Either way, the left is screwed. Again.

LET THE LAWSUITS COMMENCE!

God, I hope New York's insane gun laws are among the first to go!