Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Second Amendment & American Liberty

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2011, 04:10 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Second Amendment & American Liberty

When an American is convicted of a crime and completes his/her sentence should the state or federal government be authorized to permanently or in anyway restrict their second amendment right to protect their property, family or community?

EX: It is 11PM on a Friday night somewhere in America. There a father, wife and two children watching a movie (plant of the Apes) in the den. The daughter heads to the kitchen for popcorn when she hears a loud noise upstairs. As she runs towards the den to alert her father there is a stranger descending the stairs while another enters through the garage door.

The state and federal government says "this" man cannot protect his person, family or property because he was previously convicted of a crime 15 years ago though he has long since completed his sentence.

More than 13 million Americans are arrested each year with varying outcomes. Should the man in the scenario above not be allowed to protect his family because of a previously completed conviction?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-10-2011, 05:53 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well that depends what crime he was guilty of - now if that was MURDER 13 YEARS ago my answer is NO! if it was shoplifting then I would say yes and just because the Govt say a felon cant own a gun my ex brother in law has one so whats the big deal here? you want me to feel sorry for you because you comitted a violent crime 13 years ago now you want a gun you should of thought of that 13 years ago!.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:56 PM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I do not believe in second rate citizenship. So no, once they have served their time, they have been punished. There are no second rate citizens in America, other than the ones in prison.

Check out my blog:http://ithinkforme.blogspot.com/

Old 08-10-2011, 05:57 PM   #4

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Felonie was never a cause for restricting gun ownership until the 20th century when most of the anti gun crap started. During the 18th and 19 century's once you served your time you were free and it was not a life sentence as it is now days

Old 08-10-2011, 06:14 PM   #5

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Once the time has been served the rights should be up for restoration.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 08-10-2011, 06:22 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Once you have served your time, you should regain your rights.

Having said that, my ideas on appropriate punishment for violent crime would result in that individual losing more than their freedom for a period of time, thus eliminating the need for an answer to this question in the first place.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:28 PM   #7
bkt

Liked 1304 Times on 663 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Once you've served your sentence and/or paid your fine, you should be no different than anyone else. We do not live in a society where some citizens have rights and others don't.

There are some felonies that deserve the death penalty and others that don't. For those that don't, an felon released from prison should regain his or her rights. (For those who commit violent felonies, they should hang so the issue of rights becomes moot.)

Back to reality...I don't care what the law says in regard to my defending myself, my family and my property: I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Old 08-10-2011, 06:31 PM   #8

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPat View Post
Once you have served your time, you should regain your rights.

Having said that, my ideas on appropriate punishment for violent crime would result in that individual losing more than their freedom for a period of time, thus eliminating the need for an answer to this question in the first place.
My response dealt with the answer generically. Violent offenders should be dealt with violently.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 08-10-2011, 07:21 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

If the sentences for the extremely violent crimes were more permanent, i would agree completely, but since those sentences aren't always permanent, i only partially agree. Of course, in some places, duder could use a black powder pistol to defend himself, at least for six shots. I've got a .44 caliber BP Remington replica, and something about those dull lead balls is just scary as heck. I would NOT want to get hit by that. I had a pretty good buddy with a felony from long ago, so i have given this some thought.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:22 PM   #10

The post is not meant to garner sympathy but rather better understand the mental processes and social philosophies that are involved in support for or against this form of government action.

State nor federal statutes have real effect on stopping someone with a felony from buying any form of firearm and using it for self protection or otherwise.

This is about government action that penalizes an American's Constitutional Right, and American's willing to compromise their liberty for so-called government protection. When we give up one right or allow the government to restrict (Take) that right and then penalize the excerise of such, we are actually consenting to wholesale molestation of our form of government as well as the God granted and Constitutionally protected rights.....