Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > SCOTUS Rules On Domestic Violence Case

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2014, 09:51 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1986 Times on 1067 Posts
Likes Given: 2958

Default BAD: SCOTUS Rules On Domestic Violence Case

The US Supreme Court has overturned the ruling of a federal appeals court. No guns for those convicted of domestic violence.

Quote:
WASHINGTON — People convicted of minor domestic violence offenses can be barred from possessing guns even in states where no proof of physical violence is required to support the domestic violence charge, the Supreme Court ruled Wednesday.

The ruling was a victory for the Obama administration, gun control groups and advocates for victims of domestic abusers who say the gun ban is critical in preventing the escalation of domestic violence.

The justices unanimously rejected the argument put forth by gun rights groups and a Tennessee man who pleaded guilty to misdemeanor domestic assault against the mother of his child in 2001. The man, James Castleman, was then charged in 2009 with illegal possession of a firearm after he and his wife were accused of buying guns and selling them on the black market.
http://www.startribune.com/politics/252450641.html

Last edited by alsaqr; 03-26-2014 at 10:00 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-26-2014, 09:57 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Weaksauce!

This is another reason to be thoughtful about who you cohabitate with; DV isn't just between a husband and wife.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

People Like This 
Old 03-27-2014, 03:25 PM   #3
Dispossessed Mechwarrior.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Southern Alabama or Northern Florida, the jury is still out.
Liked 1340 Times on 792 Posts
Likes Given: 3358

WTF is the SCOTUS going to do about DV that involves the use of hands, feet, table lamps, bricks, steak knives, and just about anything else that can be picked up by the person doing it???? I forgot to mention vehicles, sorry.

This is just their way to suck a$$ with Obubblehead!!

How different the new order would be if we could consult the Veteran instead of the Politician - Henry Miller
The Soldier, above all other people, prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war. - Gen. Douglas MacArthur
wittmeba Likes This 
Old 03-27-2014, 04:16 PM   #4

Liked 306 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I would like to see an Amendment to the Constitution that would allow a super majority of state governors overrule the SCOTUS. If 38 state governors think that the ruling was bad then it was likely bad. I would also like to see that amendment have a provision for placing all seven SCOTUS justices on the presidential ballot, with the person who gets the MOST votes being removed from the bench. This would allow each POTUS to get to appoint a Justice and it would allow the citizenry at large to directly influence the makeup of the SCOTUS. I think that if such a system were in place the unconstitutionality of the ACA would have been recognized by the court.

I am tired of the tyranny coming out of all branches of government. I withdraw my consent to be governed by these thugs and criminals. The only reason I will make a proforma show of compliance to all the unconstitutional law, rules and regulations that are forced down my throat is that I fear the coercive power of the state.

Criminals are never materially handicapped by such rules; the only effect is to disarm the peaceful citizen and put him fully at the mercy of the lawless. Such rules look very pretty on paper; in practice they are as foolish and footless as the attempt of the mice to bell the cat.

Letter to Alice Dalgliesh, the editor who was censoring his manuscript for Red Planet, regarding gun control registration and control Published in 1949
orangello Likes This 
Old 03-27-2014, 04:30 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1986 Times on 1067 Posts
Likes Given: 2958

This decision puts the lie to "a Republican president will appoint Supreme Court justices who will protect our Second Amendment rights."

Old 03-27-2014, 05:24 PM   #6

Liked 41 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yep no difference between the parties we are better off forming our own militias and governing ourselves

Old 03-28-2014, 12:50 AM   #7
Dispossessed Mechwarrior.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Southern Alabama or Northern Florida, the jury is still out.
Liked 1340 Times on 792 Posts
Likes Given: 3358

How about we disband the SCOTUS. Let the cases be heard in the states where they occurred. Have a Supreme Court in each state. Problem solved.

How different the new order would be if we could consult the Veteran instead of the Politician - Henry Miller
The Soldier, above all other people, prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war. - Gen. Douglas MacArthur
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-28-2014, 02:05 AM   #8

Liked 306 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDS92A View Post
How about we disband the SCOTUS. Let the cases be heard in the states where they occurred. Have a Supreme Court in each state. Problem solved.
I think that would also require an Amendment or a Civil War to implement. I would if left up to me avoid the Civil War if I can, but if the next couple of elections don't swing right then it may be unavoidable. Personally I would rather see the Amendment I suggested above.

EDIT: How about adding this to the Amendment I suggested, allow the Governor of a state where the case originates to override a SCOTUS decision if the case dose not involve a Constitutional issue?
Criminals are never materially handicapped by such rules; the only effect is to disarm the peaceful citizen and put him fully at the mercy of the lawless. Such rules look very pretty on paper; in practice they are as foolish and footless as the attempt of the mice to bell the cat.

Letter to Alice Dalgliesh, the editor who was censoring his manuscript for Red Planet, regarding gun control registration and control Published in 1949

Last edited by WonderingMind; 03-28-2014 at 02:07 AM.

Old 03-28-2014, 03:35 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 386 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 582

DV is such a broad and easily misinterpreted subject that we could easily see it spill over into things that are clearly not DV to any reasonable cogent adult.
EX: Your 17 year old kid has a halfwit aquaintance that puts you in a fight or flight situation that demands you defend yourself. Congratulations, you are guilty of DV for having the audacity to defend yourself on your own property.

Hey..... what's the red button do?

orangello Likes This 
Old 03-29-2014, 02:33 PM   #10

Liked 573 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 722

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDS92A View Post
WTF is the SCOTUS going to do about DV that involves the use of hands, feet, table lamps, bricks, steak knives, and just about anything else that can be picked up by the person doing it???? I forgot to mention vehicles, sorry.

This is just their way to suck a$$ with Obubblehead!!
The old game "Clue" was much more fun. There were only a couple of items used for the murder - Lead Pipe, Wrench, Rope, Knife, Candlestick, Pistol (I think it was a 1911).

I guess for the new versions we would have to create a new cast - Senators, Congressmen, Governors! And the room - White House

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!