Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > SCENARIO: What legally happens when you defend yourself

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2013, 10:45 AM   #51
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4593 Times on 2302 Posts
Likes Given: 4729

Lets face it, this is self defense were talking about not thwarting pidgeons that poop on your car. If you fear for your life/ limb or a loved ones, the choice to react to save yourself is less about rights and more about living. Not reacting may mean no prosecution for you but that doesnt matter if your in a coffin.

The real judge is your maker; dont shoot unless whats facing you sux worse than judgement day here or after. Live to breath another day means you will be around to explain your reactions. Taking a life is rarely a good thing unless your saving a life doing it. An Ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, if you live in a place that these things happen often, you really need to leave.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:19 AM   #52
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1739 Times on 979 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

Quote:
Originally Posted by manta View Post
From what I can see the laws are different in each state so it would depend what state you were in what would happen.
Exactly. In Florida the statutes even allow you to use deadly force in your home against someone that you invited in. If something happens with that person that puts you in fear for your life or in fear of great bodily harm you have the right to defend yourself. Spouse vs spouse, parent vs child, sibling vs sibling, it makes no statutory difference, but you can bet it will make a huge difference in the way it is investigated.

Something else that makes a huge difference is your attitude. Telling the first officer that you think you need a lawyer is much better than demanding one because you know your rights. Be as cooperative as you can be without answering questions.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:46 AM   #53

Liked 310 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've never been involved in an HD situation, (yet), so those who have been would be better equipped to answer this. Regardless of circumstances, the lengthy criminal record of Mr. Bad Guy, despite your being cleared by the authorities, Mr. BG had friends and family. They're gonna know you, your family and where you live. The way I see it, there's no way you could get on with your life with this dynamic hanging over your head. Seems to me you'd have to move, likely as not out of state. Is this the case, or am I thinking too much?

Old 06-24-2013, 11:54 AM   #54
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1739 Times on 979 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
I've never been involved in an HD situation, (yet), so those who have been would be better equipped to answer this. Regardless of circumstances, the lengthy criminal record of Mr. Bad Guy, despite your being cleared by the authorities, Mr. BG had friends and family. They're gonna know you, your family and where you live. The way I see it, there's no way you could get on with your life with this dynamic hanging over your head. Seems to me you'd have to move, likely as not out of state. Is this the case, or am I thinking too much?
Again, that depends on where you live. Many states have laws forbidding the release of victim info. Many papers refuse to print specific victim info. If you manage to stay out of court you could be alright in these states. Of course if the thug in question left an itinerary before heading out, or had a surviving accomplice, you're screwed.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:02 PM   #55

Liked 157 Times on 135 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn
I think your on point!! Most don't play the complete tape all way through!! We all want and should defend our life if ever deadly force should be needed!! But I think it would be nothing short of a nightmare, at least short term if a life was lost!! And family and friends of the BG would be a big part of that nightmare!! Revenge is a powerful force, which knows very little boundaries!! And try to explain to BGs MOMMA that her son or daughter was justifiably shot and killed!! She will go to her grave not believing a word!! Despite what his/her criminal record might be!!

Old 06-24-2013, 08:10 PM   #56
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1257 Times on 785 Posts
Likes Given: 669

The inability to provide the 'follow up' protection in justictions where you are not a citizen but a slave/subject (any place you can't be armed anywhere and time you need to be) is why MANY people will not 'get involved' to help those being victimized even as witnesses. This is a sorry state of affairs if you ask me, but that is what the progressives want, a bunch of scared, broken spirited people they can control!!!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!

Old 06-24-2013, 08:41 PM   #57
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 904 Times on 540 Posts
Likes Given: 1254

I am certainly no legal expert, but I have interrupted 2 burglars in my home in the last 34 years. One of them ran and fled in a car driven by an accomplice, so I didn't shoot. He got a jar with some small amount of cash im it. I recognized him, he went to jail.
The second one had gotten into my garage with a big knife, with the intent of slashing my son's cute looking tires on the cute little wheels. He'd already done it a couple of weeks before. I showed him my Dan Wesson .44 mag and he decided to wait politely until the deputies arrived. He went to jail. So in my experience, the perps chose not to attack me. My mindset was, though, if they showed intent to attack me I would shoot. My wife called the cops, so I didn't have to deal with a phone while holding the perp at bay. These events were not so much brazen home invasions as they were sneak burglaries, though.

Old 06-25-2013, 12:42 AM   #58
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 259 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 141

I guess I also overlooked the fact that more than half of cases where a gun is displayed, it does not even go off. Like many have posted, you just wait till the authorities arrive.

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

The people who created the problem are not the ones who can fix it...

Old 06-25-2013, 03:11 AM   #59

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts

They may take it into evidence and give
It back after the case is cleared. I wouldn't expect it to take that long.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:01 AM   #60

Liked 4781 Times on 2677 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Don't forget even Wyatt Earp was arrested after the famous shoot out at the OK Corral in Tombstone.