Scalia: Guns May be Regulated - Page 6
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism >

Scalia: Guns May be Regulated

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 09:45 PM   #51
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDS92A View Post
No. It is not required to have an FFL in order to have a 100 round drum. I simply meant that in order to have an effective use of one you would need a weapon that would require and FFL. I mean, I personnally do not have the strength to stand there and hold a semi-auto AK or M16 variant and squeeze off 100 rounds one at a time. They are best used on automatic versions, which require an FFL

To answer this question: Is an FFL required to own a cannon? In some states it is required to have an FFL for a cannon, so yes. If someone here knows different, site your source and educate me. I have no problems with admitting my errors.

The paperwork that you fill out in order to get your favorite weapon is a form of control that the FBI has to monitor weapons sales.
MMMMMMkay? I am not as familiar as i should be with the requirements to own a full-auto/NFA-restricted firearm, but i am thinking it requires a $200 tax and background check, not a Federal Firearms License. I don't know why a person would be licensed to sell or collect when they simply wish to own a NFA item.

The BATF are the government goons assigned to collect the 4473 form info from the FFL's/gun shops. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Form_4473

I guess it is just your terminology that is confusing to me.

edit* thread about a guy wanting a fullauto M4 : http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/how-hard-get-class-3-permit-68767/

Last edited by orangello; 07-31-2012 at 09:47 PM.

Old 08-01-2012, 12:18 AM   #52
Dispossessed Mechwarrior.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Southern Alabama or Northern Florida, the jury is still out.
Liked 1696 Times on 983 Posts
Likes Given: 4120

Okay, so we are both learning something. I thought that the 4473 went to the FBI. I assumed this because the FBI keeps copies of those forms for 90 days. I also assumed that the $200.00 Transfer Tax License was the FFL.

Also, after looking through my copy of the "Firearms Curios or Relics List" I can only assume that a person would need a "Curious or Relics" permit.

Thanks for making me do some homework!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
MMMMMMkay? I am not as familiar as i should be with the requirements to own a full-auto/NFA-restricted firearm, but i am thinking it requires a $200 tax and background check, not a Federal Firearms License. I don't know why a person would be licensed to sell or collect when they simply wish to own a NFA item.

The BATF are the government goons assigned to collect the 4473 form info from the FFL's/gun shops. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Form_4473

I guess it is just your terminology that is confusing to me.

edit* thread about a guy wanting a fullauto M4 : http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f47/how-hard-get-class-3-permit-68767/
How different the new order would be if we could consult the Veteran instead of the Politician - Henry Miller
The Soldier, above all other people, prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war. - Gen. Douglas MacArthur

Old 08-01-2012, 03:47 AM   #53

Liked 27 Times on 17 Posts

BKT, America has long had "gun control" laws for a variety of purposes. NYC's "Sullivan Act" was created to protect Five Points thugs engaged in shaking down immigrants and prostitutes from possible lethal consequences. Dodge City had its "deadline" to keep its prominent citizens safe, just as every other western city eventually enacted ordinances against carrying firearms that were just about as effective then as now ! What's critical to this 18th/19th historical fact is these prohibitions were local, not statewide; let alone nationwide !

We didn't have any sort of nationwide "gun control" until public outrage over the "St. Valentine's Day Massacre" impelled the GCA of 1936 regulating the ownership of full auto weapons. But so many were brought home as CWTs by our "Doughboys" several "amnesty periods" had to be ceded to get most of them on the federal registry ! WW2 saw other rounds, as did Korea and early Vietnam. Thousands of Americans own full auto weapons and "destructive devices" , yet over nearly a hundred years only an infetesimal percentage of these arms figure into crimes. Justice Scalia has to know this. Just as he has to know the entire history of gun regulation. I suspect he would like to "clarify" his statements" in the Belt-way vernacular . >MW