Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Scalia: Guns May be Regulated

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2012, 03:25 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 69 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I wrote a letter to my state reps hope it helps

Everybody needs a little Devastation!

Old 07-30-2012, 03:25 AM   #22

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

I watched the interview. One over-arching thought came to my mind as I digested his words. The man is trying to sell a book ! By being coy about gun control, he gave no real answer that I could grasp. Why give it away when you are trying to sell it. Selling books was his sole purpose for the interview. Motivation is is a key factor in understanding someones thinking. IMHO.

NEVER FORGET

Old 07-30-2012, 03:04 PM   #23

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 764

Timothy McVeigh killed 168 without a gun, Virginia Tech shooter killed 32 without a rifle, Columbine happened during the "Assault rifle ban". But,sure we need to ban semi-auto rifles/hi-cap. mags/ect.. or as Liberals like to call them "assault rifles"because they are such a miniscule part of gun crime.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:41 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
I watched the interview. One over-arching thought came to my mind as I digested his words. The man is trying to sell a book ! By being coy about gun control, he gave no real answer that I could grasp. Why give it away when you are trying to sell it. Selling books was his sole purpose for the interview. Motivation is is a key factor in understanding someones thinking. IMHO.
I really truly hope you are correct. I can't say the guy is incorrect, but i can say his answer seems "wrong".

I will stand by the old reliable "just because something is legal doesn't make it right, and just because something is illegal doesn't make it wrong". If there is a law i think is unjust, i don't feel bad about breaking that law. If such an outlook makes me a "bad citizen" that is fine; it is my opinion that such an outlook makes one a better person, better-thinking and better-acting.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

KalashnikovJosh Likes This 
Old 07-30-2012, 05:24 PM   #25

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 764

418242_10151058440932509_1860930738_n.jpg  
Old 07-31-2012, 12:45 AM   #26

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Gee, I must have been watching a different interview. The justice put his remarks in the context of Heller. That case, by design had a very narrow focus; Is the right to keep and bear arms an individual or collective right?

The news media immediately jumped on his comments minus the Heller context, for no other reason than to divide the public and further muddy the debate. From what I see and hear, it worked.

By design, Alan Dura, the appellant attorney, kept away from auto / semi-auto, magazine capacities, rates of fire, bazookas, machine guns, etc. We first had to answer the basic question; Individual or collective. (Period)

The answer was of course, individual. In a post ruling interview, Mr. Dura said now that that has been established, he and others were now going to go to the various state courts to get into the other factors of guns. They did that on the same day in Chicago, which brought us the McDonald ruling.

Can states place restrictions on the Second Amendment? I think it is right and proper to make possession by felons, mentally ill, illegal aliens, etc, a state felony and punishable by the states. Those are what I would consider reasonable. In the context of Heller, that is what the justice was saying.
Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved
alsaqr Likes This 
Old 07-31-2012, 12:58 AM   #27

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalashnikovJosh View Post
Your confusing regulation with cause and effect natural law here.
Ya know...i've been thinking about your words all day, and I have to admit that i'm ashamed that I didnt think of this on my own. You are exactly right.

Punishment for screaming fire in a theater *IS* a reaction, not a prevention. The crime was already committed.

Just wanted to give credit where it was due...*hanging head in shame*

Old 07-31-2012, 11:40 AM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1934 Times on 1036 Posts
Likes Given: 2882

Quote:
Gee, I must have been watching a different interview. The justice put his remarks in the context of Heller. That case, by design had a very narrow focus; Is the right to keep and bear arms an individual or collective right?
Bingo!! In Heller SCOTUS ruled the District of Columbias ban on handugn ownership violated the Second Amendment rights of its citizens.

Old 07-31-2012, 02:17 PM   #29
Dispossessed Mechwarrior.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Southern Alabama or Northern Florida, the jury is still out.
Liked 1338 Times on 791 Posts
Likes Given: 3322

Okay folks, time for my tiny point of view on this subject.
First, I retired in '09 from the United States Army after 26 years and a bunch of months and days (Vets know what I am saying here) and I swore to uphold and defend the Constitution more times than I can recall and I meant it everytime. So I feel that I can speak on this.

Whether we want to admit it or not, we have Gun Control / Regulation in our face all the time, and the funny part is, we do not mind it.
When you go to your favorite gun store and buy that sweet little gun that you have had your eye on. You fill out that pesky little form, then the person behind the counter makes that phone call just to make sure that you are an upstanding individual, then if you do not have CWP, you have a wait a few days to take possession of that sweet little gun that you have had your eye on.

Now say for instance you want a Curios & Relics Permit, well there is a pesky little 4 page form that you have to fill out. There is the forms for the CWP that very in page quantity per state, then there is the application for an FFL. I do not even want to get into that one.

Suffice it to say - Gun Control / Regulations exist. Do they violate the 2nd Amendment, no. Us law abiding citizens do not mind them. We can still get our beloved guns. Do the Gun Control / Regulations work? Short answer, no. The Bad Guys do not pay attention to the rules, hence the title of "Bad Guys" You see, the Elected Idiots seem to think that it is easier to attack us than it is to attack their benefactors - the "Bad Guys". Even though it would be cheaper to attack their benefactors than us, but like I said they are the Elected Idiots.

How do we fix this, simple. Band together as lawful citizens and change the Constitutions of your states to allow the prosecution of those Elected Idiots for violation of their sworn oaths. Remember, they work for us. I am sure some legal savy individual on here will add to this part.

Now on the subject of the "100 rounds a minute" magazines. I know of no Semi-Automatic weapon, no matter how big the magazine is, that can fire 100 rounds a minute. Some one here please educate me on this. Personal opinion here, I have no use for a magazine that big. I get apprehensive when I put my 30 round mag into my AK. I am more comfortable with a 20 round mag, less chance a malfunction. I was trained that if I cannot hit my target in 3 rounds, move to another location. Suffice it to say that if an individual has a magazine that can hold 100 rounds, then they have a weapon that can fire that many rounds, which means that they have an FFL. I can see no other logical reason why a person would want a 100 magazine otherwise. Please! No one yell at me for this! It is just my opinion

Another thing that was mentioned in the Scalia interview was "Rocket Launchers and Cannons". I believe that the Judge started to say something about those. The average Anti-Gun nut does not understand what a person has to go through to get one of those. First of all, an Active Rocket Launching System is forbidden by law for a civilian to own (someone please correct me if I am wrong here!), as for Cannons, all that they require is an FFL. Now I have not heard of anyone using a cannon to rob somebody, but hey, the day is still young.

In simple terms, we have Gun Control / Regulations in place and for us Law Abiding Citizens, they work. Now if only we could get our Elected Leadership to see it as we see it, all will be right in our own little corner of the globe.

How different the new order would be if we could consult the Veteran instead of the Politician - Henry Miller
The Soldier, above all other people, prays for peace, for he must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war. - Gen. Douglas MacArthur
alsaqr Likes This 
Old 07-31-2012, 02:32 PM   #30

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDS92A View Post
Gun Control / Regulations exist. Do they violate the 2nd Amendment,
Yes. They do. A law abiding citizen should not face any opposition in obtaining a firearm. The State of Illinois not "allowing" Concealed Carry violates t he 2nd amendment.

The State of California having limitations on magazine size violates the 2nd amendment.

What part of "shall not be infringed" do these people not comprehend? Whether or not you agree with the level of which they infringe is, and I say this kindly, irrelevant.

It's the law...and as KalishnakovJosh reminded us all the other day, this is the only "Right" we have in this country that is "regulated" against the idea of "Innocent until proven guilty"

In other words, the Government is not ripping out peoples vocal cords so they can't scream "Fire" in a crowded theater...but they are taking away peoples guns so they can't defend against an armed robber.

Last edited by PrimePorkchop; 07-31-2012 at 02:52 PM.