SB 649/ manchin toomey universal background checks bill
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > SB 649/ manchin toomey universal background checks bill

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2013, 08:42 PM   #1
fmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Default SB 649/ manchin toomey universal background checks bill

This sounds too good to be true. But if what he is saying IS true...I think we need to have this signed in tomorrow.

No NICS check if you hold a CCW permit or other gun license.

Felony charges for compiling a registry.

Protections from civil litigation for buying a used firearm through legal channels.

Protections for transporting over state lines.

Being able to purchase handguns out of state.

Nothing about selling/gifting to friends/family/face to face transactions.

I mean hell, we all already get a background check on EVERY purchase from a shop or vendor at a gunshow. Those of us that have a CCP, CCW, or LTCH permits have already been through background checks.

It does NOTHING to stop criminals, but it makes the left "feel good" and on the face of it, adds protections for gun owners.

Anyone here actually seen the language of the bill?

http://youtu.be/E9UMox1WoTw

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!
bluez Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-14-2013, 09:04 PM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/113/s649/text

I'm stll digesting it but one concern I have is the following:

Quote:
‘(C) a temporary transfer of possession that occurs between an unlicensed transferor and an unlicensed transferee, if--

‘(i) the temporary transfer of possession occurs in the home or curtilage of the unlicensed transferor;

‘(ii) the firearm is not removed from that home or curtilage during the temporary transfer; and

‘(iii) the transfer has a duration of less than 7 days; and
The legal definition of "curtilage" ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curtilage ) is kind of nebulous but in laymans terms seems to only include the home and immediately surrounding yard area. A temporary transfer out on the back 40 would seem to be precluded.

Still thinking about the rest of the bill.

2010: "Of course I'll waive my rights. I don't want to miss my connecting flight."

Old 04-14-2013, 09:23 PM   #3
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by camiller View Post
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/113/s649/text

I'm stll digesting it but one concern I have is the following:

The legal definition of "curtilage" ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curtilage ) is kind of nebulous but in laymans terms seems to only include the home and immediately surrounding yard area. A temporary transfer out on the back 40 would seem to be precluded.

Still thinking about the rest of the bill.
I tried to read it myself...gave up with a damn headache....i read at a pretty high level, but legaleze gives me a headache.

As to what you posted, read further into that section. There are exemptions. The way i read it, again i am no lawyer, but i can sell/loan to someone that has a CCW, CCH, LTCH. You can also lend to an "unlicensed" individual for training at a range, or for hunting/trapping where legal.

I found the language but it will take me weeks to digest the whole damn thing. But ididnt see anything else about the rest of the protections that guy was jabbering about.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 04-14-2013, 09:44 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I don't trust it. I have made purchases at a gunshow from individuals selling their collections, no NICS required.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:07 AM   #5

Liked 2058 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

I fail to see how this bill will stop another sandyhook, and anything the government says we need I am against

Old 04-15-2013, 04:24 AM   #6

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Every Democratic administration for the past 80 years has proposed gun laws. Obama and his supporters are contributing to this tradition.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:09 AM   #7

Liked 499 Times on 298 Posts
Likes Given: 229

Don't fall for this BS law. When laws are passed like gun registration was in NYC in the mid 70's they always start out letting you keep what you have, or just plain gives the appearance that it just doesn't seem to effect you. Then one day without realizing it the tables are turned and the law turns against you.

NYC is a great example of bait and switch. Telling you that common sense dictates that these laws are necessary and people agreeing only lets them get their foot in the door in order to bring down the hammer on your head when they feel the time is right. Now the NY Safe Act will eventually take guns away from everyone in the entire state as they did just in the city.

When NY governor Pataki banned AW's and hc mags in 2000 those who owned pre-bans were allowed to keep them. As of approximately one hour ago they are now illegal. So, so much for what they promise. This innocent sounding background check proposal by 2 wolfs in sheep's clothing will lead to the govt knowing who owns the guns and will know through registration who the owners of specific guns are.

There's nothing good about this proposed law when all they do is lie to us over and over again and we getting the short end of the stick over and over again. When there's another incident and there will be, what will they propose then. This crap is never ending and it has to be stopped dead in it's tracks now.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:16 AM   #8

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

I really fail to see how a Federal law regarding conduct on private shooting ranges can be enforced. Most of this if it passes will be in courts for a very long time.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:40 PM   #9

Liked 1958 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

I don't like it one bit...smoke and mirrors...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 04-15-2013, 02:01 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5919 Times on 3348 Posts
Likes Given: 5458

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
This sounds too good to be true. But if what he is saying IS true...I think we need to have this signed in tomorrow.

No NICS check if you hold a CCW permit or other gun license.

Felony charges for compiling a registry.

Protections from civil litigation for buying a used firearm through legal channels.

Protections for transporting over state lines.

Being able to purchase handguns out of state.

Nothing about selling/gifting to friends/family/face to face transactions.

I mean hell, we all already get a background check on EVERY purchase from a shop or vendor at a gunshow. Those of us that have a CCP, CCW, or LTCH permits have already been through background checks.

It does NOTHING to stop criminals, but it makes the left "feel good" and on the face of it, adds protections for gun owners.

Anyone here actually seen the language of the bill?

http://youtu.be/E9UMox1WoTw

You're right, FMJ. You understand the political process and how it works.

Our allies in congress are turning this around on the libs. But you'll never convince the fanatics that think any compromise measure is evil. The people working the hardest on our behalf are being called sell-outs and whores.

Since they don't even understand the process, they don't trust our friends and allies, and the paranoid silly bullsh!t just keeps flowing.

Winston Churchill

Last edited by locutus; 04-15-2013 at 02:06 PM.
bluez Likes This