Saw a guy open carrying today - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism >

Saw a guy open carrying today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 04:10 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin201
Here in Missouri, open carry is legal, at the state level. And Missouri's state gun laws preempt all county and local laws. That is, what's legal in Missouri is legal everywhere in Missouri. Except for open carry. Missouri law specifically excludes open carry from preemption. So open carry laws can change from county to county or city to city. And unfortunately, most municipalities ban open carry. But my CCW instructor, who as I said before is a retired attorney recommends strongly against it, even in areas where it's OK. First of all, the mere sight of a gun can cause some people to go into a state of panic. So why cause undo distress, when its so much simpler just to keep the thing hidden. Secondly, open carry is going to atract the attention of LEO's even in areas where it's legal. You are likely to get stopped frequently. And thirdly, I don't want to advertise the fact that I'm armed. Yes, it may serve as a deterrent to some of the low life thugs out there. But others may see it as a challenge, and you'll end up provoking the very thing you're trying to avoid.
Paladin, where you at in mo? I'm in Columbia

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy

Old 02-09-2012, 10:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by InDefenseofLiberty

I also live in AZ and I don't (as of yet) have a concealed carry permit. However I am giddy that every Tom, Dick and Harry now has the right under state law to carry concealed. You either believe in the 2nd amendment our you don't. We have the right to keep and bear arms period. Concealed our otherwise shouldn't matter to you. Training is every gun owners personal responsibility yes but, don't take that as a condition off concealment.
I believe it was Nathen Hale who said,"those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither" founding fathers knew what liberty was and tried damn hard to limit government to protect it.
Funny. As of two days ago, I started cc. For sum reason or another I just figured if some limp Dick ******* with felonys can then I might as well two. But that doesn't mean I won't get my training in ether. I just don't think any ******* should be able to. But law or no law u can't stop them. So I might aswell protect myself to the fullest. And thank u for ur opinion, it puts things in perspective a little more for me.

Old 02-09-2012, 10:07 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneJr View Post
Funny. As of two days ago, I started cc. For sum reason or another I just figured if some limp Dick ******* with felonys can then I might as well two. But that doesn't mean I won't get my training in ether. I just don't think any ******* should be able to. But law or no law u can't stop them. So I might aswell protect myself to the fullest. And thank u for ur opinion, it puts things in perspective a little more for me.
If I was in AZ I would still get a cc permit so I can cc in other states.
“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent

Old 02-10-2012, 06:09 AM   #14

Right. But doesn't mean i can go to any state and cc?

Old 02-10-2012, 12:25 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
currently, it is my understanding that reciprocity is NOT countrywide, only between some states.

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

Old 02-10-2012, 12:57 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
I knew that I didn't want to list all the Free States.
“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent

Old 02-10-2012, 07:14 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007BondJamesBond007

I knew that I didn't want to list all the Free States.
I wasn't for sure if u could or not.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:02 PM   #18

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

I'll never open carry. Mainly because it increases the chances that the BG can wait 'til you're at the local convenience store, taking money outta your wallet, and then snatch your piece and take off with it.

I do like the legality of it, as it protects you from prosecution in the case that you inadvertently expose your ccw. Some places, if your shirt accidentally rides up and people see your gun, it is brandishing.

Thats really the only advantage I can see.

But hey, if people want to do it, and it's legal, it's their life. But for ME anyway, actually doing it is right up there with having a "concealed carry permit badge".

So, uh........nah.

Last edited by Chandler51; 02-10-2012 at 08:05 PM.

Old 02-11-2012, 02:31 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1341 Times on 793 Posts
Likes Given: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler51 View Post
I'll never open carry. Mainly because it increases the chances that the BG can wait 'til you're at the local convenience store, taking money outta your wallet, and then snatch your piece and take off with it.
Indications are exactly the opposite, BG don't like people with guns because they have a tendency to use them on said BG's.

Old 02-11-2012, 02:35 AM   #20

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by partdeux

Indications are exactly the opposite, BG don't like people with guns because they have a tendency to use them on said BG's.
Thats not my point. If it is out in the open, it is possible for someone to take it. Especially if I'm preoccupied, with both hands engaged.

Concealed, the BG doesn't know that I have it, so he won't be able to take it. For me, OC is not tactically sound.