Saw a guy open carrying today
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Saw a guy open carrying today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2012, 06:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Saw a guy open carrying today

I saw a guy walking down my street open carrying while I was leaving to go out. I pondered the wisdom of that, seeing that he was a young black guy in the city of Detroit. And unfortunately, the city is anti-gun like most big city. And as much as I hate to admit it, most violent crime in this city is caused by young black men. So the police seeing him with a gun may put him in a situation where he may be arrested or worse. Because when the cops stop him, and they will, it's only a matter of time, they're going to treat it like a felony stop, which means they're getting out with guns drawn. And if they so much as think he's reaching towards that gun, he's a dead man. Furthermore, I don't know if this guy is a felon or not, if he is, then that invalidates the whole open carry rule to begin with.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-06-2012, 07:34 PM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Here in Missouri, open carry is legal, at the state level. And Missouri's state gun laws preempt all county and local laws. That is, what's legal in Missouri is legal everywhere in Missouri. Except for open carry. Missouri law specifically excludes open carry from preemption. So open carry laws can change from county to county or city to city. And unfortunately, most municipalities ban open carry. But my CCW instructor, who as I said before is a retired attorney recommends strongly against it, even in areas where it's OK. First of all, the mere sight of a gun can cause some people to go into a state of panic. So why cause undo distress, when its so much simpler just to keep the thing hidden. Secondly, open carry is going to atract the attention of LEO's even in areas where it's legal. You are likely to get stopped frequently. And thirdly, I don't want to advertise the fact that I'm armed. Yes, it may serve as a deterrent to some of the low life thugs out there. But others may see it as a challenge, and you'll end up provoking the very thing you're trying to avoid.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:36 PM   #3

Liked 4715 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1440

I do not understand peoples need to advertise their gun? IMHO it accomplishes only 2 things: 1 it wastes LEO time and resources checking out the OC crowd to make sure they are not felons and it makes the armed citizen a target for Ned do wells.

I've heard the pro OC arguments and agree with most of the, I just don't think the benefits outway the drawbacks.

However, to each his own and I will be dropping some money in Starbucks on Feb 14th to show my support of thier pro carry policies.

Tack

Old 02-06-2012, 08:00 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Not a big fan of OC personally, least not outside my car or home, just doesn't seem practical.
The reasons not to OC though, they sound familiar from childhood sunday school; i think they had a little song about hiding your light under a bush and such vs. letting your light shine. Of course, the traditional fish symbol was a secret symbol for IDing fellows of the early Christian church as well, so it would seem some discretion was considered acceptable.

Odd, not much reminds me of childhood church lessons.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:22 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 845 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 180

Michigan open carry org has been doing a great job.

I've moved towards more OC than CC

Old 02-06-2012, 11:27 PM   #6

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

I'm ok with open carry I don't have any problem with it but I prefer CC just because if someone is watching you waiting to try something stupid they don't know you have your weapon so theirs the unknown factor there.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 02-07-2012, 07:17 PM   #7

I think they both have there pros and con. For instance, her un Arizona you no longer need a ccw to conceal. I don't much like that because now any dumb ahole can be carrying and no1 knows. Before you had to take your class so you knew when it was right or wrong to put a stop to some 1s life. Witch to me is a good thing. Now if you didn't take your class and know the right from wrong, you have to open carry. Not that every single person that doesn't have 1 ocs but it cuts down. At this point atleast the cops can see who ocs and if they don't look right then there you go. But me personaly, I oc. I won't cc untill I get the proper training. But in doing so, ocing, I do take the risk of any ******* to try something dumb because he sees it. And if that happens, and I don't want it to, they just better hope there a faster draw or real sneeky. Because my eyes are always peeled and I got a fast hand. Lmao and a black hawk supra holster.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:10 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

I think there's a time and a place for OC. Personally, Id rather no one know If I'm armed or not around alot of people. However when im on a camping trip in the middle of nowhere, I wear a drop leg holster to advertise to that unknown truck pulling up to my site that I am indeed armed. I dont think its a good idea to do it as a form of protest though. (see: California, starbucks) The media always seem to skew it as "look what those gun nuts are up to now"

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-08-2012, 01:38 AM   #9

Liked 25 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneJr
I think they both have there pros and con. For instance, her un Arizona you no longer need a ccw to conceal. I don't much like that because now any dumb ahole can be carrying and no1 knows. Before you had to take your class so you knew when it was right or wrong to put a stop to some 1s life. Witch to me is a good thing. Now if you didn't take your class and know the right from wrong, you have to open carry. Not that every single person that doesn't have 1 ocs but it cuts down. At this point atleast the cops can see who ocs and if they don't look right then there you go. But me personaly, I oc. I won't cc untill I get the proper training. But in doing so, ocing, I do take the risk of any ******* to try something dumb because he sees it. And if that happens, and I don't want it to, they just better hope there a faster draw or real sneeky. Because my eyes are always peeled and I got a fast hand. Lmao and a black hawk supra holster.
I also live in AZ and I don't (as of yet) have a concealed carry permit. However I am giddy that every Tom, Dick and Harry now has the right under state law to carry concealed. You either believe in the 2nd amendment our you don't. We have the right to keep and bear arms period. Concealed our otherwise shouldn't matter to you. Training is every gun owners personal responsibility yes but, don't take that as a condition off concealment.
I believe it was Nathen Hale who said,"those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither" founding fathers knew what liberty was and tried damn hard to limit government to protect it.

"The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all." ~Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by InDefenseofLiberty; 02-08-2012 at 01:47 AM.

Old 02-08-2012, 02:02 AM   #10
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2089 Times on 1137 Posts
Likes Given: 754

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog View Post
I think there's a time and a place for OC. Personally, Id rather no one know If I'm armed or not around alot of people. However when im on a camping trip in the middle of nowhere, I wear a drop leg holster to advertise to that unknown truck pulling up to my site that I am indeed armed. I dont think its a good idea to do it as a form of protest though. (see: California, starbucks) The media always seem to skew it as "look what those gun nuts are up to now"
My thoughts exactly.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA