San Francisco District Attorney on Supreme Court Ruling
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > San Francisco District Attorney on Supreme Court Ruling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2008, 10:51 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default San Francisco District Attorney on Supreme Court Ruling

Trigger-lock law threatened
A separate ordinance, passed by the Board of Supervisors in 2007, requires gun-owning residents to keep their weapons in locked boxes or to disable them with trigger locks. Cox said the NRA might challenge that law as well.

The District of Columbia had a similar provision in its 32-year-old handgun ordinance that the Supreme Court overturned Thursday. In addition to prohibiting residents from carrying guns, the ordinance required owners to keep their weapons locked up or inoperable in their homes.

That restriction, the court said, "makes it impossible for citizens to use them for the core lawful purpose of self-defense." One advantage of having a loaded handgun available, Scalia observed, is that "it can be pointed at a burglar with one hand while the other hand dials the police."

San Francisco District Attorney Kamala Harris said both the Housing Authority ban and the local trigger-lock requirement appear to be vulnerable under the ruling.

The ruling "leaves open for dispute and interpretation some of the existing laws that we have restricting or regulating gun ownership and use," said Harris, who was co-author of a brief signed by 18 prosecutors around the nation urging the court to rule narrowly and leave local regulations intact.

"At the very least, it's going to clog up our courts," Harris said of the decision.

San Francisco

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't
pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for,
protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend
our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it
was once like in the United States where men were free." -- Ronald Reagan

"We The People"
"The Pro Gun Blog"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-27-2008, 02:01 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

That would be one large City that I could see being so far left leaning that they find a away around the ruling. They will either abolish the existing law, and introduce a new one, or file motion after motion to bankrupt the gun owners as a deterrent. They live to go to court over stupid sh*t down there...

That place is ridiculiously over the top Liberal. I spent the better part of 2 years in and around that city and you can keep it... Everyone wants this head in the sand Utopia, meanwhile, right across the bridge in Oakland, there are more guns floating around than at a gun show, and none of them have trigger locks or registered owners.

JD

Old 06-27-2008, 03:25 PM   #3

True, Dillinger--I spent several years myself in "The Republic Of California". Thought I did enjoy my stay there ( Bikes, Babes, an Beaches)---I did find a general belief that what Starts in Cal--spreads East---This might be a case, where What starts in DC will spread West---numerous lawsuits will be filed nationwide, and yes, the ruling yesterday was a great thing-Yesterday we celebrated---Today we must put the "Battle Armor" back on.

"We The People"
"The Pro Gun Blog"

Old 06-27-2008, 03:40 PM   #4

Agreed my friend. Yesterday was a nice win. I hoisted a glass last night and enjoyed it. Today I know that the battle has shifted and the next couple of years are going to be pretty interesting....

JD

Old 06-27-2008, 03:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Agreed my friend. Yesterday was a nice win. I hoisted a glass last night and enjoyed it. Today I know that the battle has shifted and the next couple of years are going to be pretty interesting....

JD
Could Not Have Said It Better---I'll Be over in a few and we'll "Hoist" another---HaHaHa

"We The People"
"The Pro Gun Blog"

Old 06-27-2008, 03:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracker View Post
Could Not Have Said It Better---I'll Be over in a few and we'll "Hoist" another---HaHaHa
Ha ha ha - Anytime my friend, anytime....

JD

Old 06-27-2008, 06:35 PM   #7

While JD is correct in the idiots not only in San Fran but California as a whole love to go to court there could be a major snafu to all those plans , and that's a lack of funds .

After all these decades of their insanity they have broken the bank and backs of tax payers .

The State is in huge financial trouble , and at the moment doesn't even have adequate protection for the forest fires raging out of control , much less finances to mount the legal battles it now faces .

The whole Holyweird crowd is like a bunch of little kids and if they see that they can't have their way with their stupid laws restricting "the commoners" by pouring money into court battles they'll take their toys "Money" and go play elsewhere "Europe perhaps ?"

For the next six months I doubt they'll get much help from DC while Bush is still in office , with Obama and another repeat of a Janet Reno AG well things will get ugly again .

Many companies and jobs are bailing out of the state with the massive tax burdens all of the dogooders have strapped them with .

Good old Arnie "the RINO he is" is planning to raise home owners insurance costs just to be able to hire more firefighters , and the annual forest fire season there shouldn't even have started yet .

The only big question is if we can just find a few lawyers more interested in saving the Nation and putting it back on the course the Founders intended rather than lining their pockets with every single penny they can and work these cases for perhaps a bit less than their usual hundreds of dollars an hour fees .

California is ripe with moronic gun laws from manufactures being forced to submit samples of every single model for testing prior to being able to sell them there to ammo restrictions based on unproven ecology theory's to their newest brainstorm of "Micro Stamping" .

Personally I wish gun groups would start their challenges with the whole licensing garbage "Something Heller did NOT do in his case" after all you don't need a license or to pay a fee to exercise Free Speech or practice religion or exercise your 5th Amendment Rights etc. etc . .

Old 06-27-2008, 07:00 PM   #8

Those are very good points BigO - I had forgotten how much in the hole that place is financially. I had heard at one point that Kalifornia is the 5th or 6th largest economy in the world, and thye have been running into the ground for decades...

The next few years are definitely going to be interesting. I would love to see some of these @ssnine, head in the sand gun laws get thrown out of court by a real challenge.

I read a post by someone who was responding to "What the Founding Fathers Intended" or such nonsense and the response was something to the effect of.... "Since this a government, of the people, by the people, for the people, let's have a nation wide vote: Should a legal, law abiding US Citizen be allowed to own firearms?" I would be willing to bet the "popular vote" on that would FAR outweigh any other sliding scale they could throw our way...

JD

Old 06-27-2008, 07:30 PM   #9

Quote:
I read a post by someone who was responding to "What the Founding Fathers Intended" or such nonsense and the response was something to the effect of.... "Since this a government, of the people, by the people, for the people, let's have a nation wide vote: Should a legal, law abiding US Citizen be allowed to own firearms?" I would be willing to bet the "popular vote" on that would FAR outweigh any other sliding scale they could throw our way...
While I too think in a honest general election we could win that battle JD with just all of the voter fraud we get in the city of Saint Louis and KC I'm not so sure I would want to chance it .

Every 4 years we find news stories of hundreds of people who are dead voting , people who when the home address is checked it is a vacant lot and on and on . Quite frankly it makes me sick because all of the worst offending districts have minority VAST majorities in them and the candidates seem afraid to mount a legal challenge against it .

We had an excellent Senator in Jim Talent and now he is gone and replaced with Clair McCaskill the useless blond air headed POS that she is due to this garbage . So I am desperately afraid of how bad this could be on a National scale especially with all of the Illegal scum in our country who can't even speak the language much less understand and appreciate what the nation is suppose to be .

I guess I'm old school and prefer to remind people we don't live in a democracy where Mob mentality rules and just because they have the biggest mouths and are willing to throw temper tantrums and destroy things until they get their way it's just too damn bad .

We live in a Republic where individuals have fundamental Rights , and the most important of those Rights are reaffirmed not created in the first Ten Constitutional Amendments written by the Founders of this once great nation despite the liberals doing everything in their power to destroy them for the last 100 years .

Old 06-27-2008, 07:43 PM   #10

No, your probably right BigO - I just found that an interesting thought coming from another person out there in mainland USA. I am sure that the Lefties would try and manipulate the vote.

How about this. We give them a few states ( Kalifornia, New York, D.C., Mass ) and then we move the good, law abiding gun owners to other like minded states. We let the lefties have their states and run them the way they want, and then we will run ours the way we want. Wait 5 years and see who has more problems with crime and criminals?