Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > A Sad, Sad Day....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2012, 02:13 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxdogVF213

Trying to find out how it works since My wife has no issues and infact has a FOID card.. Can I "sign them over to her?" I mean they wont be "Mine" but will still be "Ours I guess" lol.
Legally yes that should still work just dandy. Just remember if things fall apart and she splits, she has full ownership of them.. i would consult a lawyer first but i've seen many friends (some with aggressive criminal backgrounds) weasel their way out of trouble for weapons in their houses simply from transferred paper ownership.

Last edited by Secondhand_Hero; 01-03-2012 at 02:15 AM.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:24 AM   #22
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7572 Times on 3299 Posts
Likes Given: 1122

I am NOT a lawyer- am gun collector. YOU, sir, need to talk with a lawyer.

Federal law (18 US Code 922) says a felon cannot POSSESS a firearm. Own- sure. Possess- no. That includes have unrestricted access to the same.

Ball and cap- MAYBE. Under Federal law, they are antiques (even if made yesterday) and not firearms. HOWEVER- some states restrict THOSE from felons. Ammo- including 209 primers, is forbidden under Federal law.

If I were in your place, I would be appealing the CRAP out of that conviction. A felony is going to impact you in MANY other ways beyond gun ownership. Time (past time, really) to lawyer up.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:30 AM   #23

Different states have different views on felons and gun ownership, some have a 5 year wait after the sentence or parole has been completed such as okla. and Texas. But they also say that you can not be in the proximity of a gun such as a vehicle or your house during that time. Consult at least 2 different lawyers to make sure your getting your best shot at restoring your rights to gun ownership.

Old 01-03-2012, 04:33 AM   #24

Liked 761 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

That sucks man...important thing is to appeal that conviction and get another Judge to rule on it. After that worry about the guns, that felony conviction can screw you for the rest of your life.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 01-03-2012, 01:31 PM   #25

Thanks guys, and I do have another attorney trying to sort this all out and try to have it heard infront of a different judge buy florida law is strict and crap from what I'm understanding. It may cost me so much time and money that it may drain me. But we shall see.

Old 01-03-2012, 01:37 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1353 Times on 1027 Posts
Likes Given: 1764

Default Dumped on.......

If all else fails with the court system you might try the Governers office. Thats if the Gov. is pro guns......

For ever Vigilant..... One Shot One Kill.........

Old 01-03-2012, 01:56 PM   #27

Liked 9185 Times on 5049 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Its one of those things that may well be worth bankruptcy. As someone else mentioned, look into suing the ex too.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:12 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by willshoum View Post
If all else fails with the court system you might try the Governers office. Thats if the Gov. is pro guns......
He lives in Illinois man.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:00 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcreek View Post
He lives in Illinois man.
He does live in Illinois, and while our "political climate" isn't gun friendly his offense was in Florida.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:06 PM   #30

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

MaxdogVF213, here is some info on Illinois law - if I am interpreting this correctly, it would not be legal for you to have any firearm (including muzzle-loaders) in your house -