Robbers shot and killed - Family's want crime charges... - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Robbers shot and killed - Family's want crime charges...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2013, 04:45 AM   #51
I used to play keyboards, but now...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2230 Times on 1354 Posts
Likes Given: 2399

I don't know if I feel confident in our legal system. But a justified shooting SHOULD not become a legal nightmare afterwards. That said, the personal emotional aftermath would probably include quite a few nightmares.

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 5th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-10-2013, 11:53 AM   #52
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2239 Times on 1219 Posts
Likes Given: 3463

BTW:
The state of Oklahoma allows the friends and family of the late perp to petition for a grand jury when the prosecutor declines to prosecute. Yep, not many folks will sign a petition on behalf of some scumbag who got dead while committing a violent crime.

Old 11-10-2013, 01:05 PM   #53
I used to play keyboards, but now...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2230 Times on 1354 Posts
Likes Given: 2399

Scary thought. Not many upstanding folks would sign, but there's still a lot of scumbags out there...

Balota
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." 2nd Amendment to the Constitution of the United States
Practice does NOT make perfect. Practice makes permanent. Only perfect practice makes perfect.

Check out 5th FTF Shoot & Hoot.http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/5th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-apr-11-12-2015-a-109479/

Old 11-10-2013, 01:20 PM   #54

Liked 573 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 722

Axxe55,

Quote:
but the simple truth is, they are not after justice, they are after money.
This is exactly the reason. It might put a stop to the wasting of our court time, defense attorney fees and stop harassing the victims and their families.

Balota,
Quote:
Better yet. Find a way to charge their LAWYER with wasting the court's time with a frivolous law suit. Disbar the lawyer and make HIM pay court costs, attorney fees, and whatever kind of punitive damages seem suitable.
Or just issue a court order that the attorney cannot collect any expenses or funds from his client if they lose.

You posted other good ideas too.

At very least make the suing party pay the victims expenses as both will require an attorney.

Another area of concern for me (I just participated and went through a class action lawsuit against a major company - we did win but not as much as expected) is the time it takes to settle these cases. The defendant in our case held the money (they were being sued for monetary compensation) for the duration of the proceedings. Just a lot of "discovery" time, time to re-evaluate, review records, yada, yada, yada. Ours started in 2005 and settled in 2012. The longer they could hold out, the more advantageous it was for them.

Why not restrict the case to 1 or 2 years - whatever seems appropriate. After that time if an agreement isn't reached, the case is turned over to a judge and he makes the decision based on the gathered facts. The settlement must be completed within 90 days. If anyone wants to appeal that restarts the clock.

These attorneys bet on people dying, people giving up, moving and becoming unreachable, forgetting details, failure to change address, phone numbers change, witnesses can't take time off work, etc. Put a stop to this procrastination of the attorneys.

I agree with this too. But it should not become a burden to the victim or perps family either.
Quote:
I don't know if I feel confident in our legal system. But a justified shooting SHOULD not become a legal nightmare afterwards. That said, the personal emotional aftermath would probably include quite a few nightmares.

Let's just not let the BIG-O design the program for us.

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!

Last edited by wittmeba; 11-10-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-10-2013, 01:39 PM   #55
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
i can fully agree with that. many of those lawyers will take these cases with nothing invested of themselves. maybe if they were held liable for legal fees for these frivolous lawsuits they would maybe decline in taking them in the first place.
And we're right back to tort reform. We've got to have it. The story in this thread is an excellent example of why.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:00 PM   #56

Liked 66 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Conservatives have long been after a change in law that would make the losing party in a suit responsible for all legal costs. Great idea. Would stop, or at least significantly reduce, frivolous lawsuits overnight. But it won't happen. Look how many of the decision making politicians are lawyers. More than you think. It would turn their profession upside down, and they'll never allow that.

Mossberg 590A1
Centurian C39 AK pistol
Sig 226
SA xdm 45 compact
H&K USP .40
Sig 938 Extreme
SA 1911 SS Loaded Model
Sig 716 Patrol .308

People Like This 
Old 11-10-2013, 02:50 PM   #57

The people of the USA need to take back their country. The law makers should be asking for our vote, not telling us how they voted. It seems too many laws that directly affect the people are decisions made at a much higher level in the government and not by those the laws will affect. That needs to be changed.

~ Holsters ~

We the People...
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-10-2013, 03:11 PM   #58

Liked 136 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Poverty, criminal behavior and drug abuse is the physical manifestation of a mental state of mind. Mostly a "victim" mentality vs a "victor" mentality.

Since we all come in to the world naked and ignorant and learn everything from parents, schools, friends, communities I have come to understand in my older age that most of these behaviors are a direct result of parenting....sooo, it does not surprise me the parents are still acting the part of the victim after their child was shot during the act of committing a felony. It is their "end justifies the means", victim philosophy that allowed the child in their formative years to put the child on the path of criminalism. Only consequences modify human behavior...the two perps just had their behavior modified...fortunately for the rest of the law abiding citizens of that community.

Man once surrendering his reason, has no remaining guard against absurdities the most monstrous, and like a ship without rudder, is the sport of every wind.
-Thomas Jefferson to James Smith, 1822.

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-10-2013, 03:12 PM   #59

Liked 296 Times on 172 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I won't defend the friends and family of the robbers either. I have posted quite a bit about them in other threads/forums. I will say however, that I don't think the parents and hangers on of these guys are just blathering for a money grab. I think that may be secondary. I think they truly are blind to anything outside of their own world. Poor upbringing, justification for mistakes, enabling, ignoring. It is a mindset and now a multi generational culture. If one of my kids had stolen gum from a store, I would have whipped their rear and made them go back to apologize. This is armed robbery and the family feels there is someone else more culpable.

Old 11-10-2013, 06:23 PM   #60

GTX63,

I think you are exactly right. These families may be blinded by their pain and the loss of their child - I would be too. But there never seems to be admission or recognition of their loved one committing a crime.

I believe they feel their loss regardless of what they were doing or trying to do warrants being compensated and that is just wrong to me. Just like the TM GZ case. Money is the best choice of compensation in this situation. They cannot bring their child back so go for money.

There is the added issue of disciplining a child. Be careful. If they call LE you may be the one getting your "azz whooped". I know this very well from a result with our son and grandson. We used to discipline our children and they learned from it. You can't do that anymore.

~ Holsters ~

We the People...