Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Legal and Activism (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Rick Warren's son's suicide (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f97/rick-warrens-sons-suicide-88681/)

danf_fl 04-12-2013 05:49 PM

Rick Warren's son's suicide

In reading the story, I found this:
“Someone on the internet sold Matthew an unregistered gun,” Warren said Thursday on Twitter. “I pray he seeks God’s forgiveness. I forgive him.”

I thought that interstate transfer had to be done through an FFL. If it was an in-state transfer, how was it advertised?

Something is not being reported to the public correctly.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04/12/17719128-rick-warren-son-who-killed-himself-had-unregistered-gun?lite

AIKIJUTSU 04-12-2013 06:02 PM

Yes, that was a really sh*tty piece of "journalism". "An unregistered gun". The dumbass didn't know enough about the subject to understand that in most of the U.S. it is illegal to register guns. And for the "Rev" to forgive the gun manufacturer and the seller is just a way for him to try to forgive himself. He should have spent more time and effort instilling some self respect and confidence into his son, rather than devoting all his time and effort to fleecing the flock.

orangello 04-12-2013 07:10 PM

I hope the kid gets some peace now.

Quote:

Suicides accounted for 19,392 of the more than 31,000 gun-related deaths in 2010, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
from the aforementioned article. I did not realize that almost two-thirds of the "gun-related" deaths in 2010 were suicides. That makes the 31,000 number seem inflated by what are arguably voluntary deaths, a bit different from murders and even accidents/negligence.

locutus 04-12-2013 08:53 PM

And he wouldn't have died from the wound if the gun had been registered???? Interesting!

danf_fl 04-12-2013 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by locutus (Post 1211816)
And he wouldn't have died from the wound if the gun had been registered???? Interesting!

That is the belief in some states and federal government halls that registered firearms are less lethal.

orangello 04-12-2013 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danf_fl (Post 1211838)
That is the belief in some states and federal government halls that registered firearms are less lethal.

Well, sure they are, once they have been collected by the government and warehoused.

Daoust_Nat 04-13-2013 02:48 AM

Once again the mental health issue has been blamed on the gun. If he had hung himself would we be outlawing ropes?

It is sad that the young man could not get the help he needed.

1911love 04-13-2013 03:46 AM

Sad story....but, he used private property to take his OWN life, not someone else's life. Why should we gun owners get blamed and/or face further restrictions?

Yunus 04-13-2013 03:57 AM

The serial number was scratched off. This wasn't a whoopsie I didn't follow the law because it's confusing or I didn't know. This was knowingly buying and or selling illegally in violation of existing law.

As for where it was advertised. It could have been just about anywhere, many Craigslist posts are removed for being against terms of service but they have to be reported first which may or may not take some time.

orangello 04-13-2013 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yunus (Post 1212230)
The serial number was scratched off. This wasn't a whoopsie I didn't follow the law because it's confusing or I didn't know. This was knowingly buying and or selling illegally in violation of existing law.

This assumes that the deceased didn't scratch the numbers off himself to conceal the details of the firearms purchase. I wonder that he was able to get to them all; my cz75b has the number on the barrel, the slide, and the frame. My XD is similarly patched out.

Heck, dude could have borrowed/stolen the gun and scratched out the numbers to protect a friend he took it from.