Richland Medical Marijuana Patient Denied Concealed Pistol License - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Richland Medical Marijuana Patient Denied Concealed Pistol License

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2014, 04:37 PM   #21
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Sort of. If that ends up being the case, you get to choose. It's voluntary gun control. Simply don't smoke weed, and you're good to go with the guns. Besides, unless they require a drug test to buy a gun, how are they going to know?
to be honest, i really don't know. in those states where it's legal to buy and consume marijuana, i don't know what the process is to buy. do you have to fill out any paperwork to buy? do you have to submit an ID to buy?

lot of questions that i haven't the answers to. but i do know this, if you consume marijuana and then attempt to buy a gun through an FFL, when you fill out the Form 4473, then you are committing perjury on an official document, which is a criminal act.

Old 02-23-2014, 04:48 PM   #22

Liked 982 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 630

Quote:
if you consume marijuana and then attempt to buy a gun through an FFL, when you fill out the Form 4473, then you are committing perjury on an official document, which is a criminal act.
Agreed. But my comment was regarding the person who buy it through non-legal channels, where there is no paperwork.

Personally, if given the choice, I'd take the guns over the weed. Among other reasons, guns smell better.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:52 PM   #23

Quote:
Agreed. But my comment was regarding the person who buy it through non-legal channels, where there is no paperwork.

Personally, if given the choice, I'd take the guns over the weed. Among other reasons, guns smell better.
technically, if a private sale is legal without going through an FFL in those states, then the person you were buying from is probably not obligated to ask such a question.

but going through an FFL to purchase or getting a CC permit, then the requirements and legalities come into play.

Old 02-23-2014, 05:00 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 730 Times on 371 Posts
Likes Given: 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
technically, if a private sale is legal without going through an FFL in those states, then the person you were buying from is probably not obligated to ask such a question.

but going through an FFL to purchase or getting a CC permit, then the requirements and legalities come into play.
Not really, even threw a Private sale, it is against Federal Law to knowing sell to a "prohibited" person. If you know the person you are making the private sale to is a marijuana user, you are in violation of Federal law and committing a Felony.

clr8ter, I think you may have missed an important point here. This is not just about "purchasing" a firearm or how one can buck the system and purchase one off the street. This is about Possession of a Firearm as well. Even if you have firearms that have been in your possession legally for years, as soon as you Purchase or use Marijuana under the guidelines of "legal in my state" each and every one of those forearms are subject to Legal Confiscation under Federal law.

Last edited by mseric; 02-23-2014 at 05:08 PM.
People Like This 
Old 02-23-2014, 05:05 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseric View Post
Not really, even threw a Private sale, it is against Federal Law to knowing sell to a "prohibited" person. If you know the person you are making the private sale to is a marijuana user, you are in violation of Federal law and committing a Felony.
that is true, but how would a seller in a private sale know that the buyer was a user? unless the buyer said something, he wouldn't know. just as the seller wouldn't know if the person had a criminal record.

now if that buyer was someone the seller knew, then they might be able to make a case that he should have had an idea.

but the key factor is in either knowing or not knowing such information about the buyer.

Old 02-23-2014, 05:13 PM   #26
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8829 Times on 3821 Posts
Likes Given: 1365

Quote:
how are they going to know?
Well....... when you try to use your medical marijuana card as your second form of ID....

When you ask the dealer to hold your roach while you fill out the 4473...

When the background check picks up the bust you had at a time/place where weed was NOT legal...

When you walk into the shop smelling like Tommy Chong....

Seriously, my baby daughter is an exam tech for an eye doctor. You would not BELIEVE the number of folks that think it would be a good idea to get stoned BEFORE they go in for an eye exam. DUDE! These are the people that will be CLOSELY examining your pupils!

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 02-23-2014, 05:19 PM   #27
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8829 Times on 3821 Posts
Likes Given: 1365

Axxe- private sale? Well, if you see THIS....

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 02-23-2014, 05:20 PM   #28

Liked 982 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 630

Quote:
clr8ter, I think you may have missed an important point here. This is not just about "purchasing" a firearm or how one can buck the system and purchase one off the street. This is about Possession of a Firearm as well. Even if you have firearms that have been in your possession legally for years, as soon as you Purchase or use Marijuana under the guidelines of "legal in my state" each and every one of those forearms are subject to Legal Confiscation under Federal law.
Yes, I see. Good point. But there is still a lot of grey areas here, created by the fact that there are no mechanisms currently in place to check whether one uses weed. No a grey area like "is it legal or not", but as in "how could they find out?"

In any case, I am still going by the premise that the Feds will legalize it sooner or later. In which case it will be irrelevant. This is only IMHO.

Old 02-23-2014, 05:23 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Axxe- private sale? Well, if you see THIS....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUp6M1-0gQk
now that was funny!

i kept seeing the joint behind his ear and wondering if it was really a joint. it was!

Old 02-23-2014, 05:29 PM   #30

Quote:
Yes, I see. Good point. But there is still a lot of grey areas here, created by the fact that there are no mechanisms currently in place to check whether one uses weed. No a grey area like "is it legal or not", but as in "how could they find out?"

In any case, I am still going by the premise that the Feds will legalize it sooner or later. In which case it will be irrelevant. This is only IMHO.
if the Federal government legalizes marijuana, i think Mseric is right, that it will be used as a form of gun control to deny citizens the right to legally purchase or own firearms.

the only reason i am pro-marijauna is simply because i believe in the rights of individual freedoms and that we need less government involvement in out lives. but if they want to use the legalization of marijuana as a form of gun control or to deny citizens their 2nd amendment rights, then i may have to re-evaluate my thinking and opinions.

thanks to Mseric for pointing these issues out.