Richland Medical Marijuana Patient Denied Concealed Pistol License - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > Richland Medical Marijuana Patient Denied Concealed Pistol License

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2014, 03:13 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 943 Times on 625 Posts
Likes Given: 593

Quote:
They cannot over-ride Federal law and make Legal what the Federal Government deems Illegal.
Maybe not technically, but for all practical purposes, they are. As such, why does the Fed not seem to care?

As to my "Fed has their heads in the sand" comment; It seems the states and the people want weed legalized. Everything points to it. There are TV shows on that document people on their property, using their real names, face not blurred, and sitting in the middle of their pot farm. If that doesn't say something, I don't know what does.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:30 PM   #12

Liked 686 Times on 347 Posts
Likes Given: 317

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Maybe not technically, but for all practical purposes, they are. As such, why does the Fed not seem to care?

OH, they care, and when it becomes a firearms issue in a few years you will see how much they Really care. ...but for now you can read a few of these.

http://articles.latimes.com/2012/sep/26/local/la-me-medical-marijuana-20120926

http://www.oregonlive.com/health/index.ssf/2012/09/southern_oregon_medical_mariju.html

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/marijuana-369162-federal-owners.html

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/06/12/4554830/sacramento-marijuana-dispensary.html

This one particularly troubling as it involves a Self Defense issue.
Speaking Friday, Loken’s defense attorney Keith Hall said it appears federal prosecutors have drawn a line and will prosecute marijuana growers who use guns to protect themselves.

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/article/Maple-Valley-medical-marijuana-grower-charged-in-4965683.php#page-1

http://bigbudsmag.com/grow/article/medical-marijuana-grower-gun-ownership-ATF-Second-Amendment

http://www.salon.com/2013/06/21/why_is_an_obama_appointee_launching_an_anti_mariju ana_crusade/

There are hundreds of these cases and raids going on all through these States that have "Legalized" pot. I could post them all day long.

The point is, they care and they will come for the guns when the time is right.

Last edited by mseric; 02-23-2014 at 03:41 PM.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:41 PM   #13

Ok, so in some instances, they are doing something. But you could probably also find a lot of instances where the smaller govts. aren't. And, FWIW, I don't look at this as a weed & guns issue, only a weed issue. If enough people, states, etc. want weed legalized, and the Feds do it, I fail to see the gun connection, at that point. Weed'll be the same thing as tobacco and alcohol.

If not, I bet there will still be a black market for weed, so if you were concerned about your guns, you could buy it there. No trail.

Interesting thought; If something that has been demonized for a hundred years all of a sudden becomes legal, will the Black Market instantly vanish? Or, would it live on, because certain people are wired that way, or don't trust the new system, for some reason or another? Basically, will the Black Market still exist out of HABIT?

Last edited by clr8ter; 02-23-2014 at 03:44 PM.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:52 PM   #14

Liked 686 Times on 347 Posts
Likes Given: 317

The Federal Government will Never Legalize Marijuana, it gives them a Huge amount of power where Federal Firearms laws are concerned.

The Republican's will not consent to legalizing it for reasons of their own, and the Democrats will not legalize it for reasons stated above.

As for Black Market, do the Google on pot prices in CO since it was made "Legal" for recreation use. In store "Legalized" taxed pot is selling for $600/oz. Black Market un-taxed pot is still selling for $200/oz.

BTW, it is a huge Firearm/gun issue. People in CO and other states are losing their "Right to Keep and Bear Arms" because of this issue. Legally losing their rights.

Last edited by mseric; 02-23-2014 at 03:55 PM.

Old 02-23-2014, 04:08 PM   #15

Liked 2127 Times on 1257 Posts
Likes Given: 463

This is an area where two legal interests have not had policy changes occur at their intersection. The legalization on state levels has not occurred at the same pace in a federal level.

When the voters here in Washington decided to push for the legalization of private marijuana use, they did not think things trough on the level that it would collide with federal law. DEA was still doing raids on shops, grow facilities, etc. because they were still upholding federal law, as they are mandated to do. Federal workers, federal contract employees, and personnel still are forbidden, by federal law to use marihuana. And many of the marijuana users who voted for the law still don't understand the limits of the state law. It is for personal
Use at home. Public smoking is still illegal, and I watched a moron light up at a bus stop, and told him he was being an idiot, who could still get arrested. I got the "Naw, man. Pots legal here, don't you read the papers?" Response. I had to ask him if he voted and does he read the ballot before he votes. I told him to understand the law.

On a level of individual liberties, I think it should be legal. State and federal government aren't there yet. I thought the Washington law was poorly written. Medical users are finding that out with new restrictions that now effect them, in ways they weren't effected before. Gun owners in this state also didn't understand the conflict in federal law and state law and how it would cause these exact problems that are cited in the original
Post here. Just buying a gun and filling out the forms puts a gun purchaser in a bind if get use marihuana because they are filling out a federal form, that asks about illicit drug use (and they mean by federal definition, not state). So a pit used has to decide whether to commit perjury, or answer honestly and be denied. Right now the federal law means you have to choose between pit or you gun rights.

As far as prescription drug users for schedule II and lower class drugs. They are covered because those drugs are scheduled by a federal agency and found to have medical use on a federal level.

Marihuana is not there yet. The next decade win probably see a significant change in policy in many states, they will be test beds to see what laws work, which ones don't. They will monitor public safety changes in each state, medical cost shifts, traffic violations, tax revenue, etc. Once the bean counters are satisfied, and politicians are convince that legalization isn't going to bite them in the arse with some major political rebound, then the federal government will most likely move the direction of the states. It's a process.

Old 02-23-2014, 04:13 PM   #16
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21455 Times on 12185 Posts
Likes Given: 53473

Quote:
Originally Posted by mseric View Post
First, individual States cannot make Marijuana "Legal". They cannot over-ride Federal law and make Legal what the Federal Government deems Illegal.

They can "Decriminalize" it, which is to refrain from using State money and manpower to enforce Federal Laws. This does not give the States the right to interfere with the Federal Government enforcing it's own laws within State boundaries.

I think the Fed govt. has their heads in the sand

I don't think so. My tinfoil hat tells me different.
I think the Feds and these left leaning States that are "legalizing" pot know exactly what they are doing and they have a plan.
What better way to Legally disarm a significant number of Americans? Legalize it, run a data base on users, cross reference this data base with Hunting Licences, ammo purchases etc. and bingo Instant Felon. Once identified as a "prohibited person" the alphabet agency of choosing can Legally disarm and confiscate.
i don't know if this is true or not, but this sounds like a very logical reason for what they are doing. this theory sounds very plausible an it concerns me quite a bit.

people might have to make a choice, either use pot recreationally or own guns legally.

if this is true and their intended action for the future, it's just another form of gun control.

Old 02-23-2014, 04:24 PM   #17

Liked 2404 Times on 1075 Posts
Likes Given: 2310

It's nice how the federal govt. picks and chooses which laws it will enforce. It won't enforce the laws stopping murderers, rapist and drug dealers from coming across the border but it will enforce this crap. It's ironic how the federal govt. will arm drug dealers in mexico but come down hard on a U.S. citizen for smoking a joint. Kind of a mixed message.

Old 02-23-2014, 04:25 PM   #18
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21455 Times on 12185 Posts
Likes Given: 53473

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd3282 View Post
It's nice how the federal govt. picks and chooses which laws it will enforce. It won't enforce the laws stopping murderers, rapist and drug dealers from coming across the border but it will enforce this crap. It's ironic how the federal govt. will arm drug dealers in mexico but come down hard on a U.S. citizen for smoking a joint. Kind of a mixed message.
in many ways the federal government has always been about contradiction.

Old 02-23-2014, 04:28 PM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8739 Times on 3778 Posts
Likes Given: 1341

MSERIC- thank you for the information. And you are absolutely correct.

AT ONE TIME- there were a very small number of LEGAL users of medical cannabis (fewer than 50) in a FEDERAL program- the Feds actually provided the weed, grown in a Federal facility in Mississippi. That goes back to the days of LBJ- those very few folks actually had a Federal document with a Marijuana tax Stamp. Really. Last of them passed away some years ago IIRC.

As far as this being a new thing- it is not. This is part of the 1968 Gun Control Act.

A State can change their STATE laws. They cannot change FEDERAL law. And the Feds are the ones that have the 68 GCA that spells out who can possess a firearm, to who a Dealer can transfer one to, etc.

If you think weed is legal in Washington, Colorado, etc, see what happens when a member of the US military flunks a pee test for weed.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

People Like This 
Old 02-23-2014, 04:31 PM   #20

Quote:
it's just another form of gun control.
Sort of. If that ends up being the case, you get to choose. It's voluntary gun control. Simply don't smoke weed, and you're good to go with the guns. Besides, unless they require a drug test to buy a gun, how are they going to know?