restraining order? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Firearms Forums > Legal and Activism > restraining order?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2013, 01:22 PM   #21
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22027 Times on 12418 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkdagger View Post
yes I went to lawyer and its a$5000 retainer because how tough these laws are in nj and its hard to prove somebody is afraid of you.I just was wondering if anybody could answer those 2 ?'s
getting legal information from a forum, especially information that could have bearing on you rights and freedom, is IMO very risky.

get a lawyer.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:30 PM   #22
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

If you are a FB user, find the NJ2AS page and reach out to Evan Nappen. He should probably be able to give you a quick answer; which may end up being that you need to consult with an attorney specifically about your case. He is an attorney in NJ and other states and very well versed in 2A and similar laws.

Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56
People Like This 
Old 09-28-2013, 01:35 PM   #23

Liked 1187 Times on 796 Posts
Likes Given: 783

Quote:
If you are a FB user, find the NJ2AS page and reach out to Evan Nappen. He should probably be able to give you a quick answer; which may end up being that you need to consult with an attorney specifically about your case. He is an attorney in NJ and other states and very well versed in 2A and similar laws.
If I'm not mistaken, he is based out of Concord, NH. He was recommended to me to set up an NFA Trust. I didn't know he was on the NJ bar.....

Old 09-28-2013, 01:41 PM   #24
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter
If I'm not mistaken, he is based out of Concord, NH. He was recommended to me to set up an NFA Trust. I didn't know he was on the NJ bar.....
He is and is quite knowledgable. Not "word of god" knowledgable but short of paying for a consult, I'd bank on his comments. And he is a member of the NJ bar.
Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Last edited by drvsafe; 09-28-2013 at 01:54 PM.

Old 09-28-2013, 02:47 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1125 Times on 673 Posts
Likes Given: 240

$5,000

Holy crap, you need to shop around, that's absolutely nuts... or there's more to the story.

Reference to Evan was a good one, they may have an idea for less expensive option.

Old 09-28-2013, 03:12 PM   #26
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2919 Times on 1718 Posts

$5000 isn't that bad. The last few lawyers I dealt with (not firearm) had a retainer of $3500. They charged $25 for each time they answered the phone and a $250/ hour rate starting as soon as they left the office (travel).
If the $5000 avoids these fees it is a deal.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 09-28-2013, 04:24 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1300 Times on 632 Posts
Likes Given: 78

In Florida my daughter had a two year restraining order against a former boyfriend, who was stalking. He was required not to have firearms, but lived with his parents who were hunters. As I understood the rules in Florida, his Father had to show that he had sufficient storage area locked up so the lad had no access to the guns. it was demonstrated that the Father had a suitable gun safe. I believe now that the injunction has expired, he can possess firearms again, but this is Florida. We had an attorney, and I would suggest you find a good one and get the real NJ answer.

A bad day at the range is better then a good day on the job!

Old 09-28-2013, 04:58 PM   #28

Liked 1099 Times on 659 Posts
Likes Given: 55

I still find this strange!! You can't just get a restraining order without going to a judge. If you can, then I can say I fear for my life from Axxe. Plus why would you start your first post on a forum asking questions instead of going to a lawyer??? There are some lawyers that give free consultations if you would look.

Old 09-28-2013, 05:31 PM   #29

Liked 573 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 722

A related question - Does the NRA offer any lawyer suggestions to those in need? This might help getting a good effective person on the team. And it might help the NRA if we collectively can win.

~ Holsters ~

Never forget these important words:
We the People...
America, take back your country!

Old 09-28-2013, 06:36 PM   #30
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8965 Times on 5209 Posts
Likes Given: 11784

Quote:
Originally Posted by wittmeba View Post
A related question - Does the NRA offer any lawyer suggestions to those in need? This might help getting a good effective person on the team. And it might help the NRA if we collectively can win.
As I understand it the NRA is primarily a reactive force, not proactive. You need to get yourself convicted before they will step in. I am not sure if this is the case all the time or just some of the time, but if you look at their history of involvement you will not find many examples of them getting proactively involved in legal wrangling.

I hesitate to mention this because most here will rip into me for it, but the ACLU was actually created for exactly this type of case. The ACLU does not support the individual right to bear arms (here is a link to their stated position: https://www.aclu.org/racial-justice_prisoners-rights_drug-law-reform_immigrants-rights/second-amendment ), but this is not the basis of the OPs case as I understand it, this is not a 2A case at all. It is a civil liberty case. The OP has had his civil liberty restricted without due process of law. Furthermore the restraining order was put in place as a punitive action in an attempt to suppress his willingness to testify in court. If the Judge signed this order than he is complicit in the crime.

Your 2A rights are just collateral damage here.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Axxe55 Likes This